Why is there no forward-looking pilot cam?
5734 22 2014-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryan6
lvl.1

United States

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a forward looking camera separate from the gimbal.  For a system that has been designed to make use of two operators, how is the pilot supposed to fly around and have situational awareness when the camera operator is tracking the subject?  This seems like a gross oversight to me.  
2014-12-20
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

The pilot uses the map in the application to see where they are and what direction home is.
2014-12-20
Use props
ryan6
lvl.1

United States

I see how it could be done that way, but that doesn't give you any reference to objects you can't see on the map or what your environment holds.  If I'm flying along doing a shoot and I need to fly between two trees for example, while my camera operator tracks something behind us, I need to see forward to guide the quad between the trees.  (Just an example)  Anyways, I am putting a 1.3Ghz video downlink and forward camera on mine to solve the issue.
2014-12-20
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

ryan6 Posted at 2014-12-21 08:25
I see how it could be done that way, but that doesn't give you any reference to objects you can't se ...

hopefully that will work. i am concerned about that as well.
2014-12-20
Use props
mark
lvl.2

United States

I agree. Even with line of sight, a dedicated pilot camera is essential. That's why the higher-end Lightbridge specifically allows two different camera inputs. One for pilot, one for gimbal. It's a shame they removed that feature while touting the benefits of dual operators.  Especially since the extra controllers aren't cheap.

Anyone put any thought into the video downlink they'll use? How easy will we be able to tap into the Insipre's power? Mounting thoughts?

I'd love to see an upgraded camera option from DJI which also has a second (lower quality) forward facing camera built-in. Maybe there's some hidden dual video input hardware still inside?
2014-12-20
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

I would like to see this as a upgrade to the Inspire 1, i love the idea, and the cost should not be so significant. but i also would like them to step into  the forward collision system, this is a easy process to incorporate and would add a new element for drone safety, i has the pleasure to demo a retrofit to the Phantom 2 vision and its was the most amazing upgrade it worked perfectly the best add on i ever seen, sometime i think if they don't have this stuff incorporated because the market in repair parts and service is another market in its own, i know the future drones will have Forward Facing Camera's and  Collision Avoidance Systems.
2014-12-20
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ryan6 Posted at 2014-12-21 08:25
I see how it could be done that way, but that doesn't give you any reference to objects you can't se ...

Well don't mount the camera on the nose!
As I read somewhere that that is where the Compass is housed.
2014-12-20
Use props
ryan6
lvl.1

United States

I can't wait to look inside and get a look at where everything is.
2014-12-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

ambambcopter@bt Posted at 2014-12-21 15:37
Well don't mount the camera on the nose!
As I read somewhere that that is where the Compass is hou ...

That is correct.  I saw a tech training video that showed the compass.
2014-12-21
Use props
Pstepp
New

United States

I've assembled the necessary gear to mod the Inspire 1 once it arrives outfitted with a 500mW Boscam TS352 Tx paired with a Fat Shark 600TVL FPV Tuned CMOS Camera and a Black Pearl 32ch for FPV purposes with upgraded FPVLR antennas, 4.25 turns helix 5.8 GHz RHCP and two  pinwheels, one with a 90° connector and another pinwheel with a straight connector. Thought is to switch back and forth between the HDMI input for the Lightbridge view/maps and the Rx to see the FPV of the Boscam fixed camera I'm adding.  This will allow my 2nd remote to fully control the 4k camera while I control the Inspire 1 unit with complete control to get FPV when needed.
2014-12-22
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pstepp@gmail.co Posted at 2014-12-23 04:13
I've assembled the necessary gear to mod the Inspire 1 once it arrives outfitted with a 500mW Boscam ...

And how will you connect this to the proprietary Inspire Lightbridge system? And where will you mount the camera? It seems to me that from everything that's been said on this forum and others like RCGroups, that this is not a system that lends itself to major modifications. Let us know how it's working out for you when you get your Inspire.
2014-12-22
Use props
seric
lvl.1
Flight distance : 975600 ft
France

rbendjebar Posted at 2014-12-23 04:35
And how will you connect this to the proprietary Inspire Lightbridge system? And where will you mo ...

FINALLY !!!
all my machines ( about 6 dji machines ) are with a pilot camera of course, because working with video need one pilot ( for the security of flight ) and one cameraman ( for the quality of video )... SO, dji, the leader on the market ,able to use 2 channels video with his lightbridge system , create this perfect machine..... and forget this crutial point !!!! UN-BEA-LI-VA-BLE !! thank's Ryan for this post , i just wait for that to buy this machine ! mister's from dji , just plug a camera that could rotate between down and forward view and use a dual canal for two video return with osd on both, and you get it !
2014-12-22
Use props
Pstepp
New

United States

rbendjebar Posted at 2014-12-23 04:35
And how will you connect this to the proprietary Inspire Lightbridge system? And where will you mo ...

I would not be hooking it into the Lightbridge system.  Lightbridge is operating at 2.4GHz, the Boscam TX is operating at 5.8GHz and the black pearl Rx would get the independent video feed when I'm on the right source, and when I switch to the HDMI source I'd get the Lightbridge system.  Mounting shouldn't be hard, even with double sided tape atop the unit facing foward in a fixed position.
2014-12-22
Use props
ryan6
lvl.1

United States

The more I think about this situation, the more ridiculous it seems to me.  I can not see how DJI can design a system clearly intended for two operators AND that can easily put the quad beyond visual range and not include a separate video nose camera.  If it were my design, I would have a nose camera and the gimbal, with the ability to switch back and forth from a transmitter button as well as the app, similar in function to switching between the map and video.  The forward looking camera is an essential tool for aircraft positioning by the pilot regardless of if the pilot can directly look at the aircraft or not.  

I do not understand why an aircraft designed around Lightbridge would leave out dual camera inputs which is one of Lightbridge's best features.
2014-12-22
Use props
seric
lvl.1
Flight distance : 975600 ft
France

ryan6 Posted at 2014-12-23 13:50
The more I think about this situation, the more ridiculous it seems to me.  I can not see how DJI ca ...

evident ! it look's like a gadget toy ! as if designer's don't fly ! how the pilot will do to pass between 2 trees to give a Professional volume to his film ? all Professional machine from dji do that: for me, the goal would be a cam that can rotate between forward and down. Wait and see !!
2014-12-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that you are overthinking this.  I have flown as a single operator at 1.9km and as a dual operator with LOS.  I never needed a  separate camera for me when flying LOS and with a camera operator.  The LED's are very bright and orientation was never a problem even when 300m out.  If necessary I could always take control of the camera for flight control over the camera operator.  In my opinion it is not necessary as a pilot or a single operator.  
2014-12-23
Use props
Pstepp
New

United States

I think at the end of day - regardless of the platform, there will always be people that perform mods and that community combined with DJIs own R&D together help set the stage for future product offerings.

Whether the Inspire 1 platform "should of" come with a FPV camera option can continuously be debated, but we need to be happy with what is provided even though we're eager for more.  It reminds me of the first iPhone.  "Who needs a front facing camera?"  But now every iPhone, every smart phone in general has one.  

People like us who suggest, recommend, and complain about the current version of a product ties back into the product development lifecycle, our comments/posts I'm sure are seen by DJI as the "voice of the customer".  The Facebook chat that happened now several weeks ago with DJI highlighted the FPV option will likely be a popular mod for the Inspire 1 so I myself am enthusiastic about making my Inspire 1 my own, and having it suit my needs.  Over time, there will be DIY blog posts, pictures, howto guides, etc for those like me who get the unit outfitted with an FPV camera mod for the pilot, all of us learning from each others mistakes and making it simpler for many to experience the mod by providing these sorts of instructions at the same time.

I personally think (realizing not all share the same POV - no pun intended), that modding the Inspire 1 to have a separate 5.8GHz analog downlink to give the pilot the option to have an FPV is an excellent thing to do, which is why I'm sharing my plan and outlining the path I'm taking.  It might be riddled with problems, but I'm excited about taking such great technology and pushing it even further.

Good luck, I can't wait to receive my unit!
2014-12-23
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.2

United States

how about a future release of a  dji camera gimbal with a small fixed forward facing cam mounted on the holder at this point we don't know yet what is possible. I am personally happy with the current feature set and would not want a higher price point.
2014-12-23
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

JerryMutter Posted at 2014-12-23 23:47
how about a future release of a  dji camera gimbal with a small fixed forward facing cam mounted on  ...

JerryMutter now that is a great idea....... and PSTepp nice  write up. I love the ideal of innovation
2014-12-23
Use props
sloras1
lvl.1

United States

DSLR Pros sells a $750 mod which includes a fixed camera in the nose (I presume they slightly relocate the compass to rest higher in the nose above the camera).  I believe this includes the communications and a monitor.  From DSLR Pros: "custom nose cone and gives the pilot a zero latency, first person view of the craft while also displaying inflight telemetric data."

Personally, I will wait for DJI to add a nose cam for true FPV so that it is integrated into their remote allowing me to (I would expect) use it with my iPad.  Inspire 2 maybe?
2015-3-11
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Inspire with dual cam

2015-3-11
Use props
Madame Concorde
lvl.2

United States

Lookie here from DSLRPros:
It is now possible to have your DJI Inspire 1 upgraded to include a pilot's camera! The DSLRPros Pilot's Camera for the DJI Inspire is installed in the nose cone and gives the pilot a first person view of the craft while also displaying inflight telemetric data. This upgrade path adds a much needed level of safety and data to your DJI Inspire 1.

http://www.dslrpros.com/buy-serv ... -1-fpv-upgrade.html
2015-3-11
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Madame Concorde Posted at 2015-3-12 04:24
Lookie here from DSLRPros:
It is now possible to have your DJI Inspire 1 upgraded to include a pilo ...

Wow that's EXACTLY what I thought DJI should have installed in the production versions.  This would help enormously. I do think that this will be included in the Inspire 2 though.
2015-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules