Found DJI Phantom Advanced 3 in Boston/Cambridge
2040 6 2015-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nilsenevoldsen
New

United States

Found a crashed drone just north of the Harvard University campus. Evidence suggests it crashed on Monday, October 26th, at 6pm exactly. I found it, still running, shortly thereafter. The onboard photo storage seems to have stopped at 6pm, but I'm not sure why. (Does it take pictures based on geographic displacement rather than on time intervals?) The owner did not show up by this morning, so I took it into custody.

I have posted to Craigslist and /r/Multicopter, and contacted DJI.

I do have video and pictures, but not anything obviously identifying.

I think I might have serial numbers. Craft S/N: P76DCG1______. Repeater S/N: P77DCG1______. Camera S/N: P79DCG1______. Can those be used by DJI to contact the owner, if the craft was registered?

I'm not familiar with downed drone protocol. Anything else I should be doing?

2015-10-27
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I don't know,  but thank you very much for taking the time and making the effort to go this far.
2015-10-27
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Thank you for your time and efforts nilsenevoldsen
2015-10-27
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

sir, the community highly appreciates what you are doing. i wish you the best of luck getting it back and I hope to see more people like you. this reminds me, right now im going to label my bird
2015-10-27
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I wouldn't reveal the SN or other data publicly.  Ask the callers to provide specific information on it.  If you posted on Craig's List or other public media, you will likely receive many calls that are bogus.  You need to be able to weed these out.  Show receipt, describe custom designs or marking, etc.
2015-10-27
Use props
nilsenevoldsen
New

United States

The owner has been located.

Here is how it happened. I provided the S/N P76DCG1______ to DJI. DJI was able to tell me which distributor sold the UAV. I provided the S/N the distributor. The distributor can't link that type of S/N to customer, but they could link a different kind of S/N to the customer. The distributor contacted DJI with the former type of S/N in order to identify which S/N of the latter kind was associated with it. Having received that S/N, the distributor identified the customer and the customer contacted me.

The customer is not local, so he'll pay postage and I'll have it shipped to him.

Pilots, please take a moment right now to write your contact information on your UAV.

2015-11-6
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

I have removed all the numbers and stickers from mine, are there any internal serial numbers?
2015-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules