123Next >
35846 99 2014-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StevenHuff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333852 ft
United States

All of my wireless stuff is Android based but I want to get a Tablet primarily for use with my Inspire 1.  I am open to iPad or Android Based (Samsung).  Please tell me pros and cons.  Size to get.  Etc.  Thank you in advance.
2014-11-24
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi, likewise an android person, but leaning towards an iPad air 2 as opposed to a iPad because of the size and weight.

Does anyone know if it fits the bracket that comes with the Inspire 1?
Cheers Mark
2014-11-24
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Why not get the Air2? According to most videos on youtube the Inspire testers had Air2s and it worked really good. The a8+ CPU is really fast, so you cant go wrong with it. You can buy the non cellular version because the inspire remote controller has inbuild GPS to use the return to pilot funcion. I definately buy the air2 if i would buy the inspire (someday :p )  
2014-11-24
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Daninho; thx for the info, based on that does it fit the bracket that comes with the Inspire, cheers Mark
2014-11-24
Use props
MTShipp
lvl.2

United States

I already have the iPad Air 2 and wonder if the remote comes with a mount capable of mating with it or is this a separate purchase?
2014-11-24
Use props
hmerkel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2307995 ft
United States

Daninho Posted at 2014-11-25 01:25
Why not get the Air2? According to most videos on youtube the Inspire testers had Air2s and it worke ...

Are you sure there is a GPS in the remote control?  The "draft" manual states that you need a GPS enabled device to use the dynamic home point feature.  It is on Page 23 of the manual.  I am leaning towards the iPad Mini 2 with cellular service.  
2014-11-24
Use props
kasper.rob
lvl.2

United States

hmerkel@gci.net Posted at 2014-11-25 05:25
Are you sure there is a GPS in the remote control?  The "draft" manual states that you need a GPS  ...

From page 24: "Select Dynamic Home Point from the "Camera" page in the DJI Pilot app."

The DJI Pilot app runs on the iPad Mini 2 w cellular (not without), which has a GPS, so you are good to go.  No need for a GPS in the transmitter.
2014-11-24
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

hmerkel@gci.net Posted at 2014-11-25 05:25
Are you sure there is a GPS in the remote control?  The "draft" manual states that you need a GPS  ...

yes, the official manual is not released i guess
2014-11-24
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

kasper.rob@gmai Posted at 2014-11-25 06:37
From page 24: "Select Dynamic Home Point from the "Camera" page in the DJI Pilot app."

The DJI Pi ...

no, not all ipads have that ability and thats why its in the remote according to DJI but maybe they can more about that here
2014-11-24
Use props
hmerkel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2307995 ft
United States

The DJI Pil ...

That is what I was thinking, I dont think the transmitter has a GPS built into it.  I think for everything to work you need a tablet of some kind with GPS to make everything work properly.  
2014-11-24
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ok thx for the updates, iPad Air 2 with wi-fi and cellular it is then. Cheers Mark
2014-11-24
Use props
tao.zhao
lvl.3
Flight distance : 411411 ft
China

The remote controller has GPS build in. Don't trust the manual.
The bracket can hold the size from  iPhone 5s to iPad air.
For apple product, we support iPad air,  air2,  Ipad mini 2 and mini 3.
For android product, we will give out a list as soon as possible.

2014-11-25
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
United States

tao.zhao Posted at 2014-11-25 19:20
The bracket can hold the size from  ...

Thank you.  I look forward to the Android list coming out.
2014-11-25
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
United States

Just to make sure I am clear.  Are you saying that since the Remote Controller has GPS built in, I do NOT need to get cellular service with my Tablet?  I really don't want to pay another $40-50 per month to add an additional device to my cellular plan.
2014-11-25
Use props
tao.zhao
lvl.3
China

StevenHuff Posted at 2014-11-25 23:51
Just to make sure I am clear.  Are you saying that since the Remote Controller has GPS built in, I ...

Yes, the controller has GPS build in. Don't need tablet's GPS. But if the tablet or phone has GPS, Then it will be better. We will use the most accurate GPS information.
2014-11-25
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

"Yes, the controller has GPS build in. Don't need tablet's GPS. But if the tablet or phone has GPS, Then it will be better. We will use the most accurate GPS information."

Thank you, excellent swift response, Cheers Mark
2014-11-25
Use props
superheromedia
New

United States

tao.zhao Posted at 2014-11-26 00:10
Yes, the controller has GPS build in. Don't need tablet's GPS. But if the tablet or phone has GPS, ...

Question:  Will DJI release an Inspire app for Windows based tablets/devices?
2014-11-25
Use props
tao.zhao
lvl.3
China

superheromedia@ Posted at 2014-11-26 00:33
Question:  Will DJI release an Inspire app for Windows based tablets/devices?

I am afraid we will not support windows system.

2014-11-25
Use props
superheromedia
New

United States

tao.zhao Posted at 2014-11-26 00:55
I am afraid we will not support windows system.

Thanks a bunch!
2014-11-25
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
United States

I guess it's obvious that I am new to all of this but It just occurred to me... when flying or traveling to different areas, cellular service would probably be needed to refresh the map on the app or to zoom into different levels of map detail.  Is that correct?  Cellular on the tablet is pretty much needed for live updating of the map???
2014-11-25
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, but you can download the detailed map when you are at home on wifi and it will be stored on your tablet for when you are in the field. You just need to know where you will be flying in advance to get the map. https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en
2014-11-25
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for your response.  Do you think the Android list will be out in the next day or two... in time for me to get one through Black Friday savings?  Or is it more likely to be in the next few weeks?
2014-11-25
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2014-11-26 04:48
Yes, but you can download the detailed map when you are at home on wifi and it will be stored on you ...

Thank you.  Good information.  
2014-11-25
Use props
mlebout
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80635728 ft
Canada

From DJI's site:

Mobile Device System Requirements
iOS version 7.1 or later
Android version 4.1.2 or later
Supported Mobile Devices
* iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 4
* Samsung Note 4、Samsung Note 3、Samsung S5、Sony Z3 EXPERIA
* Note: It is recommended that you use a tablet for the best experience

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/spec
2014-11-25
Use props
jeff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

I'm putting together the package for all I need to buy from B&H.
A little unsure about the Dual controller setup.
B&H show this monitor :
Elvid FieldVision 7" On Camera Monitor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... on_7_on_camera.html

Which looks really nice - and has a nice hood for glare. I know from using the Phantom V-2+ that glare on our iPhones was a real issue.
We started bringing a stand, umbrella & boom weight to create shade for it.

Is there an advantage to using this monitor over an iPad or would I still need an iPad (don't have one currently, but am a Mac guy anyway)? Are there other functions on an iPad (apps for one) that I would miss by using that monitor instead??
Appreciate your input. )
(update on this part: From further reading it seems like I will need at least 1 iPad or use an iPhone)

If we have an iPad - either Air or Mini - on one controller for flying and the Elvid monitor on the second controller for the camera - how would that work exactly ? How does the second- non iPad)  monitor communicate with the Inspire? How does it receive the video/stills stream without the "App" to run it?
2014-11-30
Use props
jeff
lvl.2
United States

StevenHuff Posted at 2014-11-25 23:51
Just to make sure I am clear.  Are you saying that since the Remote Controller has GPS built in, I ...

In the same boat- I pay for Internet at home and on our iPhones already. Don't want to pay another internet account for this - so we can use the NON- cellular iPads, or would it be better to get the Cellular capable iPads - but not actually activate a new internet/Cellular account? Does that matter as all of them are Wi-Fi  capable?
2014-11-30
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI Pil ...

You do not need cellular.  I am using my iPad mini 2 with wifi only.  It works just fine.  The Tx has GPS built in for Dynamic Home Point.
2014-11-30
Use props
jeff
lvl.2
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-30 23:32
You do not need cellular.  I am using my iPad mini 2 with wifi only.  It works just fine.  The Tx  ...

Ed- still trying to get info on how the Dual control thing works. Will we need 2 iPads then - one for the flight control and one for the camera? Or is there a less expensive solution for the second controller - the one for the camera?
How exactly does it work in Dual mode?
How different is it in Single controller mode - will we still have full functions on camera & Gimbal if only using one controller?
2014-12-2
Use props
jeff
lvl.2
United States

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2014-12-3 01:57
Ed- still trying to get info on how the Dual control thing works. Will we need 2 iPads then - one  ...

I'm sure you can tell I'm a newbie by my questions - but, ask I must.
DO you need 2 monitors / iPads to do the Dual control thing???

OR are we only hooking up 1- iPad and both people view the same monitor, just each using separate controllers- one for flight and one for camera?
This is my big point of confusion. If 2 are needed it ups the overall cost a lot.....
2014-12-2
Use props
octovisions
lvl.2

United Kingdom

so if you can use wifi with the iPads you still have gps. set up a personal hotspot and away you go!
2014-12-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2014-12-3 03:47
DO you need 2 monitors / iPa ...

If you are with in line of sight you can do with one monitor and directions on how and where to fly from you camera man.  When we were shooting in Tahoe I had a monitor and the Camera op had a monitor as well as a Ninja Blade to record live HDMI out.  It all depends on your needs and flexibility.  You can always look over your camera op's shoulder.
2014-12-2
Use props
DJI-ZT
lvl.3
China

jeff@jeffellisp Posted at 2014-12-3 03:47
DO you need 2 monitors / iPa ...

You can use two controller even without monitor.
However you need do settings first by tablet or phone to set up master and slave.

I advice you use phone + tablet. Most of users have that. No new investment anymore.
2014-12-2
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.2

United States

I will be in the android camp I do not have a tablet yet but I want a Samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 I am hoping it will fit in the controller clamp. the Samsung is just a slight bit larger than the apple. I would like to know  max  clamp opening  of tablet holder
2014-12-3
Use props
DJI-ZT
lvl.3
China

I am afraid it is too big.
170mm is the limit width.
2014-12-3
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

JerryMutter Posted at 2014-12-3 21:38
I will be in the android camp I do not have a tablet yet but I want a Samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 I am ...

10 Inch iPad Sun Hood Shade Black w/ Clamp for DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Inspire 1

The clamp on this setup will open a max of 7.5 inches.   190.5 mm
2014-12-3
Use props
jeff
lvl.2
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-3 10:57
If you are with in line of sight you can do with one monitor and directions on how and where to fl ...

Thanks all - I just wasn't clear on how the Dual thing works. I will get 1 iPad. That's fine. Just didn't want to buy 2. You mention above- " you can always look over the camera Op's shoulder" are you saying if I used 1 - iPad & an iPhone for dual or just 1 monitor, better for the Camera operator to use the tablet?
I was thinking the Pilot ought to have the bigger screen, but maybe I'm wrong?
All the people I would be flying with have iPhones, so that's cool for second screen. Just want to give the larger one to who makes the most sense - both for safety as well as best shooting.
Again- Newbie, bear with me...
So far only have sued the Phantom V2+ with a friend, still need a lot more time under my belt flying
2014-12-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I can fly with a iPhone or my S4.  For the most part when we are filming, I am flying LOS and not looking at the monitor or phone at all.  I let the camera op tell me what looks good to him and what he wants me to do.  When I am flying in single operator mode then yes, I am fixated on the monitor.
2014-12-3
Use props
JerryMutter
lvl.2

United States

Thanks I will wait till the inspire is out to make my decision my initial attraction to the galaxy tab s line is the brightness of the screen and the 8.4" is less costly anyway I am also looking at rc fpv controller holders with balanced back straps.
2014-12-4
Use props
AVNes
lvl.3

United States

iPad Mini 2: WiFi or Wifi+Cellular?

Question for the Forum.

Does anyone know if you can run an iPad Mini 2 Wifi as the display for the Inspire 1? I use it currently with my Lightbridge, but there are no maps involved.

Or, does it have to be an iPad Mini 2 Wifi+Cellular?
2014-12-20
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

We've been assured by Tahoe Ed that not only can you cache maps while in WiFi range for later use, but that the GPS receiver in the cellular version is not necessary, as there is a GPS receiver built into the controller.  The WiFi version will work just fine.
2014-12-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules