Gimbal Auto Calibration
1858 4 2015-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rickhallnt.gmai
New

Australia

After a crash and yaw arm replacement on a P3 Professional, I'm unable to successfully complete a Gimbal Auto Calibration.

Mostly the gimbal is noisy, with a jerk/tremor evry couple of seconds. Sometimes during a calibration it will go still, centred and level, but then very very slowly drift.  I've yet to see anything on my screen DJI app that tells me an Auto Calibration is complete although I let it run over an hour once.  When it was near enough to good on one occasion, I took it out to fly but then got a meesage that the calibration hadn't finished.

How can I tell if it thinks it's finished an auto calibration? Or what else might be the problem.

Rick
2015-10-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hey, Rick! let it take it's time, there is a notification after gimbal calibration completed.
2015-10-27
Use props
rickhallnt.gmai
New

Australia

Cheers Tim,

I viewed the video link and can see the green notice on the DJI app in the video after it achieves calibration, but not on mine. Does that notice stay there until I do anything to the screen, or just come and go (just in case I missed it). The notice that it "is calibrating" disappears after only a few seconds, and then there doesn't seem to be anything that indicates it is still calibrating.

I let the Gimbal Auto Calibration run last night again for over an hour. I don't think any notification came up to indicate the calibration had completed. I didn't see anything and the gimbal didn't do anything different over the hour, just the motor sound with a tic/jerk about every second. I shut it down to reduce potential harm due to over-heating of the electrical components. Is it usual for it to take so long? Is there anything I can do prior to the Auto calibration to help it through?

I live in the tropics, Darwin Australia, my house is not air-conditioned so humid n fairly hot. I've ordered a new ribbon and will install on arrival. Camera view had lines through it after crash, but they've gone now.

All tips greatly appreciated.
Rick
2015-10-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I found that if the set screw that locks the gimbal arm to the motor (either axis) is not TIGHT, the little bit of looseness will cause a bad noise and jumping around as you describe.  Tighten the screw, especially if you did the work, and see if that fixes it.  Also be sure there is enough gap to the gimbal chassis that it does not make contact as it rotates (azimuth).
2015-10-28
Use props
rickhallnt.gmai
New

Australia

Ta Gary. Checked that too and nice smooth movement throughout. Tight, centred spindles.

How long does a Gimbal Auto Calibration usually take you (or anybody else that cares to comment), and do you see a notification when it's done? Is it usual for the "calibrating" notice in green to disappear after a few seconds? Does the notice that it's done also only last a little while before it disappears, or does it stay there until you do something to the screen? iIs the final notice in green too, on the upper left of the screen?

TIA, Rick
2015-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules