Is the OSMO useless?
3341 22 2015-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

Hello,

I've been very interested in the OSMO ever since it was announced.  I thought this would be the perfect option for family things, vacations, around the house stuff, parties, kids sports, etc.  nothing professional.  This internal mic issue people talk about with the fans (loud fan noice constantly) makes me wonder if this OSMO is 100% useless for someone like me?  I'm not going to purchase a huge external mic to use when I just plan on shooting normal around the house footage.  For you guys and gals that have used this enough to speak on, is the OSMO plain useless for someone like me?

Thank you,

Eric
2015-10-28
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Yes.  don't buy it, someone else will
2015-10-28
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

"Normal around the house footage" is best shot with your phone. Convenient and always handy for spontaneous moments.

Osmo is the next level up, designed for people who care about quality of the video and want to capture something better than a phone. That's why we need manual audio level controls, sharpness controls, and auto-exposure bracketing in the panorama mode. Because Osmo users are not just filming around the house. We are filmmakers!!!

I don't care about the internal mic, personally, I'll be using an external mic.
2015-10-28
Use props
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

ke-now Posted at 2015-10-29 02:17
"Normal around the house footage" is best shot with your phone. Convenient and always handy for spon ...

The camera on the phone does not cut it, that is why I'm interested in the next level.  However I think having to buy an external mic to actually use this product is ridiculous.  
2015-10-29
Use props
scann3r
lvl.3
Sweden

Plus you are going to need at least two extra batteries and some other bits. Lets say €1000ish depending on what mic you are getting.
2015-10-29
Use props
AllanVB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE SUGGEST A MID LEVEL PRICED MIC
2015-10-29
Use props
abel.aluart
lvl.1

United States

I know some have replied to you that if you buy this it's for filmakers and not for family things such as vacations and to use an external mic.  My reply to that is it's a tool that can be used however someone likes to use it.  I as well use professional equipment but for home want something like this for "HOME" videos. so no, i don't want to put my external recorder, wireless mics, etc. so currently i have reached out to return mine and get a Beholder DS1 to use with my A7sII.  Again, it's a great little unit with the exeption of the audio recording due to fan noise.
2015-10-29
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

AllanVB Posted at 2015-10-29 11:57

Yes  Anything by RODE.  go to BH OR Get a LAV mic and stick it into your iPhone...DL the RODE APP and it will record directly into the phone  GREAT quality and cheap
2015-10-29
Use props
jlanderscratch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 989242 ft
  • >>>
United States

AllanVB Posted at 2015-10-29 13:57

Rodeo videoMIc...good mic and decently priced.
2015-10-29
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

AllanVB Posted at 2015-10-30 05:57

Cheapest mic in the universe: the Sima MZM-1

Just $23.50

Small, battery powered, with normal and zoom setting.

List of mics in order of price...
2015-10-30
Use props
kgarrison
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

For basic stuff, the Olympus ME-52W is a great mic for the price.
2015-10-30
Use props
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

kgarrison@gmail Posted at 2015-10-30 06:35
For basic stuff, the Olympus ME-52W is a great mic for the price.

Now I'm good with something like this.  I don't have to lug around a separate mic.  Will this block out the fan noise?  
2015-10-30
Use props
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

ke-now Posted at 2015-10-30 04:31

Just $23.50

Something like this looks good also.  Would this fit the OSMO?
2015-10-30
Use props
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

ke-now Posted at 2015-10-30 04:31

Just $23.50

Something like this looks good also.  Would this fit the OSMO?
2015-10-30
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm trying to find a reason to need the Osmo - but my hand held footage on the sailboat and just about everywhere else turns out OK.....the one place where it has problems is walking up a mountain trail, etc. and the Osmo won't fix that because it's so bumpy.....

I will probably succumb anyway at some point - but I don't take a lot of handheld video even with my phone (or my RX-100, etc.).

I think it will be nice for when I put together some Aerial vids....to have the ground parts of them match in terms of the same basic camera/lens combo.
2015-10-30
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

abel.aluart Posted at 2015-10-29 22:15
I know some have replied to you that if you buy this it's for filmakers and not for family things su ...

So the big question is whether a very small mic attached will eliminate that fan noise - that is, does the mic have to be more than a inch away, etc. to not pick up anything?

DJI should bite the bullet and include a low-end mic. It would probably cost them $10.
2015-10-30
Use props
Thewood45
lvl.2

United States

That is what I'm wondering.  The reason for me starting this tread has nothing to do with money.  It's that I don't want to lug around and/or have to set up an external mic evertime I use the OSMO if I buy it.  One of these smaller mic's would be just fine if they work and block out the fan noise.  I'm curious what the experts think in regards to these mics that hook up to the actual unit and not a remote type mic.  
2015-10-30
Use props
rccrazy30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652841 ft
  • >>>
United States

FIY Im having issues using external Mics with  the osmo hopefully its something they can fix with frimware but i get a very high pitch noise on my recordings. No its not the Mic tested that. you can hear it on my first impressions video on youtube usernames same as it is here
2015-10-31
Use props
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

Anybody using something like a Zoom 1Q5 mic with their iPhone? My OSMO is waiting for me at home while I'm working on another production and that was my plan for recording better audio. I am just hoping my iPhone 6 can handle both apps at the same time
2015-11-1
Use props
Phantom Paul
lvl.2

Philippines

Any small cheap mic will sound much much better than the built-in mic. More expensive mic would produce quality audio for sure. Here's a test footage I did for ambience noise using a cheap ext mic

sub_confirmation=1
2015-11-1
Use props
Drone On
New

United States

Unfortunately the answer is yes, it is useless when used with the internal mic. I just received my OSMO today and like others was very excited about it. But the fan ran continually from the time the camera was turned on and the fan noise on the videos is very loud. Like more than annoying. LOUD. I don't know why they bother to have the internal mic. I read a post under a similar thread on this issue, where DJI is supposedly refusing to accept returns of the OSMO for this reason. If that is true that makes this a GIANT RIPOFF. I too wanted to have a "next level" video tool that would be relatively convenient, meaning self-contained and not needing an external mic to fool around with in addition to the camera. No way can this be used as sold for anything where you care about the sound without the external mic. If DJI will accept return I am definitely going to send it back but as mentioned, supposedly they won't accept it. I bought mine via Amazon rather than direct from DJI so maybe I will have a different experience. Now I know why DJI's OSMO videos seem to either have an external mic or a sound track over the video. I should have waited before ordering this because in a few months there is going to be an overwhelming negative reaction to this product and it will be a lot more clear to potential buyers how bad this problem is. Yes you can go for the external mic but why not buy something that doesn't immediately hand you a "do it yourself project" to fix? For the price of the product this shouldn't be an issue.
2015-11-5
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Drone On Posted at 2015-11-6 09:54
Unfortunately the answer is yes, it is useless when used with the internal mic. I just received my O ...

The internal mic isn't a major feature, ie not a deal-breaker. Smooth steady video is the major feature. How do you expect an internal omni mic to ignore mechanical noise from right above the mic? You can't "fix" the laws of physics!
2015-11-5
Use props
cdusher.charter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306975 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went to Radio Shack.  They had a small powered mic in the $30 dollar range.
I've only use it a little so far, but seems to work fine for general needs.

IMG_1045.JPG
2015-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules