How do I remove the P3P lens to install the DJI ND filter
1722 10 2015-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
merkelck.verizo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274318 ft
United States

I have purchased the DJI ND filter for my P3 Pro. However, I would like to know what the approved procedure is for doing this. Do I just take a set of slip joint pliers, clamp the camera in a vice and take off the lens??????? Using my hands certainly won't do it....

Wha did DJI have in mind or did they actually try to dop it???? Anybody know the answer???

Thanks

2015-10-29
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

The filter unscrews like any UV filter on a camera.

DO not use pliers, that will permanently damage the lens. DO NOT use brute force.

Just gripping all around the filter should work. The trick is to get good friction but not deform the filter.

Some use rubber band wrapped around the filter to make it easier to grip. There are special tools for removing the filters but unless you have had a soaking in salt water it should be easy to do with even pressure.

The filter part is the outside 1/4" of the lens.

I hope this helps.
2015-10-29
Use props
merkelck.verizo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274318 ft
United States

Thanks for the info. I also found several videos on youtube. I just wanted to see it done before I put the pressure on it and broke something like I seem to be prone to do.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
2015-10-29
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

YIKES!  Pliers, clamps and vices, OH MY!

Might I suggest this procedure?  How to remove a stuck lens cover..  
2015-10-30
Use props
ryanbattey
lvl.2

United States

not going to lie to me all weekend to get that stock lens off. on top of that also not trying to break the gimbal/camera  off. Finally on Monday took some regular rubber gloves seem to do the trick
2015-10-30
Use props
Djiaerialvideo
lvl.1

Ireland

Rubber gloves. Gives enough grip.
2015-10-30
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

I used a rubber band - a big one - you just need friction to grip the lens and gently turn - it comes off very easily - I don't have a lot of strength in my wrist and the rubber band just worked a treat.
2015-10-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As mentioned by Westside Osprey, the secret is to get a good all-round grip. If you grab it with just two fingers, even three, you tend to squeeze the ring and it deforms and grabs the thread even harder. But if you can get a good light grip all around the ring, it comes off more easily. This is why the rubber band trick works well.
2015-10-30
Use props
wff1360
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-30 15:42
As mentioned by Westside Osprey, the secret is to get a good all-round grip. If you grab it with jus ...

I tried EVERY trick described, but without success. I final took Dremel drill with a pointed bit and carefully cut one side of UV filter ring, going down through the threads. The filter literally popped of when I finally cut through.  This left a straight line cut through the threads on the body of the camera as well, but new filters screw on and off just fine. I carefully used a very small amount of silicone lubricant on the threads for future filter changeout.
2015-11-24
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Dremel?  Really?
2015-11-24
Use props
P3PFORUMUSER
New
United States

After many false starts, I used a zip tie around the filter barrel.  The tie "nut" allows you grip the lens and distribute the pressure.  It came right off.
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules