449621 449621 2015-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikeLmedic04
lvl.2
Flight distance : 256519 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

whats the best system for carrying a Sony RX100 camera under a Phantom 3 Standard?

cheers

Mike
2015-10-30
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Let me see if I understand this... you're wanting to remove the built-in 3 axis gimbal stabilized 2.7K camera that provided live 720p FPV and remote control of single shot or video and then jury rig some kind of "system" for a Sony RX100?   
Ummm, what do you expect that "system" to do?

2015-10-30
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I researched this myself.
There is a company that makes a gimbal and controller for the Sony 100, even has the zoom control and live feed to your device.  But this works only with Inspire.  I worked out total cost at over 4500 pounds, so let's say 6000 dollars.
You really have to have a good business to support this rig.
2015-10-31
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-10-31 01:44
Let me see if I understand this... you're wanting to remove the built-in 3 axis gimbal stabilized 2. ...

20 Mp.
3x zoom.
5 axis stabilisation in camera.
Full creative control with aperture, shutter and iso.Can also fly Sony 500 camera with 20x zoom fully functional in the air.
That is a fantastic prospect.
But 6000 dollars.
2015-10-31
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to take this route why don't you jump up to one of the DJI Pro Models?
2015-10-31
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The RX100 is tempting because it is the lightest quality camera available.
But to fly it would require a gimbal that adds a lot more weight and then to control it and get vision back is a huge extra set of problems.
The short version is .. it's just not possible.
2015-10-31
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

T hats like wanting to reduce the aero dynamics on a Mclaren or simular
2015-10-31
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mike,
You haver me thinking now.
I wonder if the P3 could lift a Sony 100.
No need for gimbal or live feed, just set the Sony on full automatic, set the interval timer for 1 shot every second or two and still get live feed from the P3 camera set up.
You only need to align the Sony up with the view of the P3 camera and you have a great camera 400 feet up in the air for the cost a a simple bracket.  
Let me know if you do it, and I'll keep you informed.  I'm growing a little tired of the relatively low quality stills from the P3.
2015-10-31
Use props
mikeLmedic04
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

I am loving my Phantom 3 Standard and I want to use it for building surveys. A couple of the plus points on the Phantom is the low cost and light weight, easy to control and minimum damage or loss if I have a building strike. I am very happy with the video quality on the standard camera but the stills are shocking. I am actually taking stills from the video as they are better than the photos.

I have seen Phantoms being flow with various RX100 DIY attached underneath so I know its possible.

Walkera make a gimbal but I think the weight of the gimbal and camera will be too heavy? http://www.iuasinc.com/products/ ... y-rx100-gimbal.html

I have been told that the RX100ii can be remotely controlled.

Any suggestions for products or DIY solutions?

Or other ways to get high quality stills from the Phantom?

Cheers

Mike
2015-10-31
Use props
mikeLmedic04
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I spotted this one but it has rubbish review on the build quality

http://motorcitydroneco.com/prod ... mount-for-phantom-2

2015-10-31
Use props
mikeLmedic04
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The other camera that aught my eye is this

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronic ... t-cameras/dsc-qx100

Full 1" sensor - 180 grammes
2015-10-31
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

This gent makes wiring to remotely control many cams (Sony).
You could buy a Phantom 2 bare and hook everything up and fly and take pics using an extra channel on the R/C.

http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/multi.htm

I've used a Phantom 1 and Canon s100 and gotten some decent shots - no FPV or remote trigger, just interval shooting. Here's one of them.
barn.jpg
2015-10-31
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Oh, seems I forgot a couple of questions:
  1) How much money do you have?
  2) How much do you want to have left over after you spend it all on this conversion?
{:2_31:}
2015-10-31
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-11-1 02:17
Oh, seems I forgot a couple of questions:
  1) How much money do you have?
  2) How much do you want ...

Mk 3 Sony 100 is 200-300 bucks on eBay.
Light alloy bracket and a tripod screw.
Must add up to no more than 350, and for a Zeiss lens and 20Mp RAW files, gotta be worth a try?  
Even as I suggested that you just leave the Sony to take a photograph every 2 seconds, just cull out the rubbish on your computer later.
2015-11-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-11-1 07:04
Mk 3 Sony 100 is 200-300 bucks on eBay.
Light alloy bracket and a tripod screw.
Must add up to no  ...

I was referring to some of those more expensive routes that mikeLmedic04 had provided links for.  I've already been through the "guesstimate where the camera is pointing and hope for the best" back when I started with the Phantom 1.  Sorting through hundreds of photos each flight got real old, real quick!

My descent into insanity for the better shot then went  into a P2 w/ H3-3D, eventually adding a FatShark so I could see realtime where the camera was pointing.  Then I upgraded to a P2V+ and now after 5 different Phantoms I'm finally at the P3 and the rest are kinda collecting dust.  
(Good thing I don't have a wife or she would have been all over me for my expensive toys...)
2015-11-1
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-11-2 06:37
I was referring to some of those more expensive routes that mikeLmedic04 had provided links for.  I ...

Gil, Im striving for a better quality photograph, not really interested in the video side of things.  I'm no longer satisfied with the quality from the P3 camera, just constantly thrilled at the viewpoints I can get to, that is why the OP interested me so much.  After your long search are you now 100% happy with the pictures from your P3 or are you still striving for better?
I did research the Walkerra 500 a Hexacopter with gimbal for Sony RX100 and also a built in FPV monitor on the controller.  Have you seen this?
2015-11-2
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Obviously this camera is not made for phantom, and we don't recommend to use any other gimbals on DJI platforms. If you really need this camera to fly, you would of DYI one hexa or huge quad yourself... but it takes time and it's costly...
2015-11-2
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-2 10:37
Obviously this camera is not made for phantom, and we don't recommend to use any other gimbals on DJ ...

I am fully aware of the engineering, aerodynamic and cost considerations Tim.
I have had so much enjoyment from my P3 with over 150 flights, 22 hours in the air and 27Km flown without a single issue.  BUT, and that is a big but, I am now unsatisfied with the results from the stills camera, and I'm doing some research into whether a Sony or other camera, with aperture, iso shutter and zoom control is available, and whether I can fly it.
I own a P3 so that is the first thing I will try to modify, before laying out probably 5000 or 6000 pounds for a Hex or Octo.  Even this amount of money will not get my Canon 5Ds with 50 Mp off the ground.  And of course with a real big and heavy rig like that, I certainly could not fly where I want to...........

Ivor Linington Brancaster Low Tide (2).jpg
2015-11-2
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

These Dutch boys have an RX100 mount for the P2: http://dronexpert.nl/product/quickrelease-sony-rx100-mount/
2015-11-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-11-2 05:32
Gil, Im striving for a better quality photograph, not really interested in the video side of thing ...

For the time being my self actualization is satisfied with the P3  (but alas, that is always going to be a moving target)  I googled the Walkerra 500 after you asked but have no opinion one way or another.
2015-11-2
Use props
mikeLmedic04
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cost wise for me this works if I can get a Sony RX100ii working on a Phantom for much less cost than an inspire or other bigger UAV
2015-11-2
Use props
mikeLmedic04
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am still hunting but I am thinking of a fixed slight down angle would do the job fine - the later gen RX100 apparently can be controlled remotely.

Would the Flamewheel F550 be more suitable for this project?

Mike
2015-11-21
Use props
todor
First Officer
Flight distance : 2192221 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Interesting discussion! I am just following this topic  as I always wanted F550 before my Phantom 3
2015-11-25
Use props
wsalopek
lvl.2

liningiv Posted at 2015-10-31 23:57
Mike,
You haver me thinking now.
I wonder if the P3 could lift a Sony 100.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, as this is exactly what I'd like to do...

Use a stock P3 (with it's camera attached for FPV, telem, etc), and mount an RX100 in some way.  The RX100 needs to be a Mark III or IV, so it has intervalometer / time lapse capability.

Once a person pays for the camera, the additional cost of a fixed (with manual-adjustable tilt) for the RX100, could be fashioned for a few dollars.  Yes, a gimbal would be nicer, but for stills, it's not needed, plus it would add a lot of weight and cost.  

A person could set the tilt angle of the RX100 while on the ground, and then while flying, guess-match that tilt angle with the P3 camera for approximate framing, and shoot away.  Again, not as convenient as an adjustable mount, but much simpler/cheaper/lighter.

I know the P3 can lift the weight no problem, as I attached an external load to the P3...in my case a lipo that weighs about the same as the RX100, and the P3 still flew quite well (and I live at 6000 feet elevation, so if you live lower, you'd do even better).  I did not do a flight time test...I'll get that done in the next couple days...but really, even if it just flew for a few minutes, that would be plenty to go up and get some good stills.

So...

Question still remains...has anyone seen or designed a way to mount an RX100 III/IV to a P3?  I'm thinking of just mounting a "cross piece" across the bottom of the landing gear, and then hanging the RX100 below.  I'd have to hand catch the P3 after each flight, but that's pretty easy.  

Another option would be some sort of super long landing gear on the P3,, with the RX100 mounted so the bottom of the gear would be lower than the camera.

Thanks...

--

Bill

2016-3-27
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

wsalopek@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-27 17:25
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, as this is exactly what I'd like to do...

Use a stock P3 (with ...

I'm thinking about doing this, but with a Fuji X70 camera.  It has the same sensor as my Fuji X-T1 & as is for usual for Fuji an ultra-sharp lens (about 28mm equivalent).  The camera weighs about 340g so should be ok hanging under the P3's landing gear.
2016-3-27
Use props
wsalopek
lvl.2

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-28 02:41
I'm thinking about doing this, but with a Fuji X70 camera.  It has the same sensor as my Fuji X-T1 ...

That's a great choice Nigel...or a Ricoh GR.

For me, the main reason for the RX100 III or IV, is it'll be a useful nice small travel / walk-around camera as well.

Not that the X70 wouldn't be, but, you know what I mean (zoom, video).

I'm gonna cobble some parts together here in the shop tomorrow, and post a couple pics of ides..
2016-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

How would you control the camera though? If, when you get in the air, the exposure conditions change, what method would you have of controlling the camera exposure.
2016-3-27
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 07:18
How would you control the camera though? If, when you get in the air, the exposure conditions change ...

You'd just have to set it on the ground as best you can & let the camera metering do it's thing.  Usually, as long as the sky's not burnt out it'll be ok, so you can ETTR for the sky & adjust the shadows in post. Don't forget, with these cameras you'll have the benefit of higher dynamic range from the larger sensor.  The only problem would be when shooting towards the sun when it keeps coming out from behind clouds causing the meter to underexpose, but even then, you can usually still bring up the shadows without getting too much noise.

Using the X70, there's very little difference between shooting at say ISO 800 & using the same exposure settings at ISO 200 & adjusting exposure up 2 stops in post.
2016-3-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

It seems rather mixed up to give up the camera of the P3 that allows full control in order to get a better camera for higher quality photography.
But losing FPV and camera control would appear to be a bigger step backwards than the hoped-for advantage.
If you really want to fly the RX100, keep an eye out for the Prodrone Premium ... if/when it ever gets released.
2016-3-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

wsalopek@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-28 07:13
That's a great choice Nigel...or a Ricoh GR.

For me, the main reason for the RX100 III or IV, is  ...

Yes, I looked at the Ricoh as well, it's 100g lighter than the Fuji.  I just prefer to have something with the same characteristics as the X-T1 that I use all the time, so I know what to expect.  I don't use zoom lenses at all these days, partly because I like to travel light & partly because I rarely use anything other than my wide angle prime.  I just wish they'd put a 14mm lens on the X70.
2016-3-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-28 10:20
It seems rather mixed up to give up the camera of the P3 that allows full control in order to get a  ...

I'll not be removing the P3 camera, just adding another under the landing gear. I'll test it first with weights, but hopefully will just lose a few minutes flight time.
2016-3-28
Use props
wsalopek
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-28 14:18
How would you control the camera though? If, when you get in the air, the exposure conditions change ...

Auto exposure.  And really, during a few minute flight, conditions won't change much, and even if they do and you gotta and land and do it all over again, it's worth it for the increased still image quality over the P3 camera.

For actually taking the picture, the intervalometer would be used (in the case of the RX100 III/IV, via the Sony Play store app installed into the camera, via the Ricoh GR and X70, the built-in intervalometer), 1 per second, 1 per 5 seconds, etc.
--

Bill
2016-3-28
Use props
wsalopek
lvl.2

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-28 17:20
It seems rather mixed up to give up the camera of the P3 that allows full control in order to get a  ...

Labroides,

We are not talking about giving up the P3 camera...we are talking about ADDING the RX100 / X70 / etc.

And anyway, to someone who wants to maximize image quality, that increase in image quality is worth many other compromises.

--

Bill
2016-3-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just a thought about mounting the camera, it'll be easiest to just cross-brace the landing gear & hang the camera upside down directly under the brace, maybe with some kind of rubber isolator to damp vibrations.
2016-3-28
Use props
wsalopek
lvl.2

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-29 01:42
Just a thought about mounting the camera, it'll be easiest to just cross-brace the landing gear & ha ...

Nigel,

Yes, that's what I am thinking as well.

--

Bill
P.S.  My P3 is due back from DJI today (getting warrantiy repairs for stress cracks).  I was gonna try the "carbon fiber" camera protector that I have laying around (see pic)...could even double that up.
IMG_20160328_155453.jpg
2016-3-28
Use props
wsalopek
lvl.2

wsalopek@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-29 05:53
Nigel,

Yes, that's what I am thinking as well.

OK, check these pictures...(that's not an RX100 of course, I haven't bought it yet!).

Parts list:

1)  Carbon fiber cross brace (camera protector): http://www.amazon.com/Alwayswish ... keywords=B01415ZQGC

2)  GoPro mount 1/4-20 adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GoPr ... i_search_detailpage

3)  Tripod mount:  http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-GTRA ... &ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

4)  Male to male 1/4-20 adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-Thr ... le+to+male+1%2F4-20

5)  A 1/4-20 nut.

I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to do this, including lighter ones, this is a first draft.

IMG_20160328_161432.jpg
IMG_20160328_161300.jpg
2016-3-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

wsalopek@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-28 23:43
OK, check these pictures...(that's not an RX100 of course, I haven't bought it yet!).

Parts list:

I never thought of the GoPro mount.  Good idea!  I have some knocking about as well somewhere.  Nice & light weight too.
2016-3-28
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

wsalopek@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-29 03:52
Labroides,

We are not talking about giving up the P3 camera...we are talking about ADDING the RX1 ...

"to someone who wants to maximize image quality, that increase in image quality is worth many other compromises"

I'm all for image quality and would love to fly the RX100 or something equivalent but giving up being able to see the camera's view to be able to compose properly and to be able to take the photos I want, when I want and just shoot random images is too much of a backwards step for me.
Perfect pixels comes a long way down my list from good composition.
2016-3-28
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-29 00:11
"to someone who wants to maximize image quality, that increase in image quality is worth many othe ...

I think it all depends on how & what you shoot & your personal style.  Speaking for myself, I tend to plan shots long before setting up a camera rather than go out looking for an image to capture.  I'll often visit an area & take several test shots from different vantage points & angles before planning the shot I want to coincide with the lighting I want.  I'll probably use the P3 camera for that first to find the composition, then re-shoot with a higher quality camera.

Here's my last photo with the P3 which would be very easy to shoot without a video feed once the camera is aligned with the view from the P3.  This was taken probably 80 metres up almost directly overhead.  It was planned after a visit to the area a week before.  All that was needed was to get the P3 in position & wait for the light to change, which didn't take long (sunrise doesn't last long)

The only other alternative is to buy an Inspire 1 Pro, which carries obvious cost & weight penalties.
2016-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-29 10:28
I think it all depends on how & what you shoot & your personal style.  Speaking for myself, I tend ...

Just moving on to another tack, are any cameras able to be comprehensively remote controlled by an external system? I'm talking about lightweight cameras, not full-frame DSLR's.

I might also suggest that Nigel appears to be working in lower light level areas, where the detail in the black would be an important consideration. I am think this is to do with the higher latitudes.
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules