emergency chute option?
2874 11 2014-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

i have been looking into adding a parachute to mine but with the battery on top i am not sure there is a way to do it.
  i have seen that dji is coming out with a recovery chute system. anyone know details,pricing and if it will work with the Inspire 1?
   Anybody planning on adding one? I am thinking of the mars 58.      http://www.marsparachutes.com/mars-58/   
2014-12-21
Use props
misticsea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87228484 ft
United States

Wait to see if it will work with the dji controller. I was reading it did not work with the phantom controllers.
2014-12-24
Use props
hey3825968
lvl.1
United States

I and a couple of Cryogenics Engineers are working on a small deployment system. First, I have been packing, repairing, constructing hundreds of different parachutes systems for the U.S. Navy for the last 35 years. That said, we are using a system that we are very confident going to test, using a small explosive device, (squib) that will deploy a mini-drogue chute that will deploy a larger (5 ft. conical) canopy. More to follow....
2014-12-24
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

hey3825968@gmai Posted at 2014-12-24 23:15
I and a couple of Cryogenics Engineers are working on a small deployment system. First, I have been  ...

That sounds great real great please keep us informed im totally interested.
2014-12-24
Use props
n2stuff
lvl.3

United States

hey3825968@gmai Posted at 2014-12-24 23:15
I and a couple of Cryogenics Engineers are working on a small deployment system. First, I have been  ...

The only problem is even a squib is still a explosive/detonator device that will not be legal in most countries. The AMA will not allow anything that (explodes) on your aircraft.  If you can come up with another deployment system I believe you will sell more products.  Not mention it's to easy to replace the parachute with C4.
2014-12-24
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

n2stuff Posted at 2014-12-25 04:26
The only problem is even a squib is still a explosive/detonator device that will not be legal in m ...

Good Point .............
2014-12-24
Use props
skyml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4741906 ft
United States

n2stuff Posted at 2014-12-25 04:26
The only problem is even a squib is still a explosive/detonator device that will not be legal in m ...

N2stuff... a small explosive like the squib he's talking about already exists and is approved in most all countries and is even approved for open transport on commercial airline.  The device I'm describing is used to initiate the deployment of the reserve parachute on a skydiving rig.  The amount of explosive required for his idea to work is harmless and not the threat thought and therefore not an issue.  It really helps if people consider the application and laws/permissions and restrictions in other fields, especially related fields. A lot of the issues we are facing have already been addressed in other arenas and we don't always have to reinvent the wheel.
2014-12-24
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI Dropsafe system uses a co2 canister.  It weights 550gm and needs a 900mm craft at a minimum.  @hey your concept is interesting but how much would it weight?  That would be my concern for hobby grade or even commercial multi rotor craft.  Meaning those under 55 pounds.
2014-12-24
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-12-25 05:44
The DJI Dropsafe system uses a co2 canister.  It weights 550gm and needs a 900mm craft at a minimum. ...

Good to know Ed, I don't know that the Dropsafe was C02 deployed, as for other options I am totally down to see what comes up especially someone who works with deployment chutes for a job.
2014-12-24
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

misticsea@yahoo Posted at 2014-12-24 20:07
Wait to see if it will work with the dji controller. I was reading it did not work with the phantom  ...

yeah,i e mailed them and they said at this point it will not work with the inspire but to stay tuned.
i am asking if the idea might work. i really don't know all the nuances of the system. there could be an issue if it does not shut off the motors when deployed for course.
2014-12-31
Use props
gunnell_s
lvl.2

United States

Model rockets all use engines that use a small charge to deploy the recovery chutes, AMA covers those.  Whats the difference?
2015-1-3
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am definitely interested in a chute.

Since November 2013, when I first started flying the Vision, I've definitely sensed increased scrutiny from police and other people. The novelty has worn off, and people now seem annoyed at the noise. I'm always looking for remote places. For example, I've flow the Vision over water only to have a waterfront property owner insist that I had no right to fly in front of his home.

My point is that we're being looked at more closely, arrests are up, and drone complaints are way up. My biggest concern is that  law enforcement  personnel, park rangers, etc.  will start to allege "reckless endangerment" as a catch all. Very easy to allege, difficult to defend,  and is probably a drone operators greatest risk, even when flying safely. No one wants to be arrested.

For this reason alone, I wold be interested in chute. In theory, it prevents a copter from falling out of he sky, effectively reducing, if not eliminating a reckless endangerment claim - of course assuming that we are otherwise flying prudently.

Difficult to hurt person or property with a slowly falling object. I'm looking forward to developments in this thread.
2015-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules