Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Time to sell both my Inspires!
2363 21 2015-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gizadog
lvl.2
United States

Well people…I know DJI wants to protect their image and billion dollar company but I think its time that I sell both my Inspires and look for a better UAV solution. The reason I say this is with DJI’s embedded No-Fly Zones I can't complete my work. We need a machine that allows me (a 11 year drone pilot) to fly within these No-Fly Zones at ground level. Today I tried to complete a ground level to 40 feet shoot but because of this blanket No-Fly zones I had to turn down the project.

The Inspire is not a toy but a professional tool! If DJI is going to limit us professionals from using this tools, we need to start looking at other options. So if anyone knows of a superior UAV I’m open to suggestions.

Edit: Thanks for the comments everyone!
2015-11-1
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Everyone has haevy problems just no alternatives now.
2015-11-1
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

Gizadog,

the solution for you is the DJI Inspire. There are a few pieces of I1's that don't have NFZ implemented. Google them, you might still find some for sale. Also on DJI A2 controllers NFZ can be disabled, the WooKong-M doesn't have this feature at all!!!

Otherwise I agree. I'm not an experienced pilot as you are, I'm only flying 10 months, but I have 600 flight hours, and very soon I will become certified for commercial pilot too...

One of the reason I bought the I1 is to monitor a huge project we are going to build. It a highway construction 60km, and I wanted to take aerial shots every week. a 5km part of this is in an airport NFZ. I talked to the authorities, and once I'm commercially certified they will let me in. I need to airport is willing to give me flight time in their airspace. But I can't...

DJI arguments, that I1 P3 are not professional products, but professional users want to use them that way. The I1 is prosumer, and the P3 is consumer category.

I understand DJI's position, but for me the Inspire 1 is a superb drone. compact, ready to fly, great flight time, built in lightbride, 2 remote operator, and primitive waypoints. All I need!

I can buy an S900/S1000 with A2 controller, but I would not need it(except the NFZ capability).

P.S.: there are multiple topics on this, I think DJI should allow certified pilots to fly in NFZ's

2015-11-1
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

@gizadog - remember there is a hack for everything and when it comes to the digital era that we are in you can bet your bottom dollar there is a fix. After all this is your drone NOT DJI's. You purchased your inspire 1(s) with your hard earned cash.

I truly feel DJI has no right to continue manipulating the software to obstruct the user from doing as is... Laws are different around the world. I am in the United States and love my country but who is our country to tell the world what to do? ---- food for thought gizadog---- don't give up so fast. There are answers to your problems other than selling.
2015-11-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree with you that this is wrong of DJI. I am licensed helicopter instructor pilot with tons of fixed wing ratings and retired. So far, I have not seen anything good come of these new flight restrictions, only seems DJI is positioning with the market place and with the FAA.

Rich
2015-11-1
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

It's disappointing to say the least. I understand we have laws but DJI just doesn't understand that with more and more restrictions it's going to hurt their business in the long wrong. Or face groups to find alternate modifications to release options to undo the restrictions. My skill sets are not what they were a decade ago or two. But a good example was when the iPhone first released within a month I was able to hack the os and now what they call jail breaking.

The inspire 1 is a UAV running on a platform os that can be manipulated. I think in general the inspire 1 is amazing and is amazing tool that can be used for several applications. But DJI needs to understand that placing restrictions hurts the consumer.

ps: not to confuse anyone but I reset my username to Sir Shepherd. Working on the avatar over the next week, just placing one of my rams for the avatar right now.
2015-11-1
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd say the Inspire is a pro-sumer tool. The Inspire 1 is an excellent copter for sure but if I was earning a living exclusively from aerial work it wouldn't be my aircraft of choice for a variety of reasons (no replacement parts, limited camera options, lack of customization, etc).

To your point: DJI's true professional products lack no-fly zones and/or allow them to be disabled. If you want a professional copter, look to the S800-S1000+ series from DJI or look to other companies (FreeFly, etc).
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Well, the only reason DJI set those NFZ is safety matters.  We really sorry for inconvenience caused, but now that's the only way...
2015-11-2
Use props
gizadog
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-2 02:03
Well, the only reason DJI set those NFZ is safety matters.  We really sorry for inconvenience caused ...

So basically, we bought a very expensive toy that we can't fly!
2015-11-2
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-11-2 19:03
Well, the only reason DJI set those NFZ is safety matters.  We really sorry for inconvenience caused ...

Really, that is your answer?  Ever heard of taking responsibility for your OWN actions? I believe that works as well...
2015-11-2
Use props
Jennifer 1701
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23501 ft
United States

It's bad enough that the Inspire is so hobbled to begin with but to further reduce it's speed and limit it's altitude after purchase is so wrong.  We didn't get what was advertised and what we paid for but then they keep hacking away it's capabilities through firmware updates.
2015-11-2
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Fingers crossed on the X5R having the superior image quality so boasted about.  If not a quadcopter that supports the new Blackmagic Micro Camera.
2015-11-2
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried emailing flysafe@dji.com
2015-11-2
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

You guys do understand that DJI does things like this because some of you numbnuts can't be trusted?  
2015-11-2
Use props
gizadog
lvl.2
United States

dopeytree Posted at 2015-11-2 11:35
Have you tried emailing

Emailing them will do what?
2015-11-2
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-11-2
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't post it but there is a system to get specific areas & times unlocked. I haven't used it yet but it exists
2015-11-2
Use props
Capt_M
lvl.2

United States

Why not fly in ATTI mode?
2015-11-2
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

disconnect the GPS antenna or wrap the top of the Inspire with aluminum foil and fly in ATTI.
2015-11-3
Use props
Puttmaster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am sorry, but I have to side with DJI on this one. I understand the fact some people have to fly in no fly zones, so find an alternative to do it.  That being said, the first time someone flys in a no fly zone and does damage, brings down a plane, burns down a building, etc....the drone operator is going to say "faulty equipment".  DJI is covering their ass and I do not blame them one bit. Too many idiots in the world that ruin it for everyone else and that's with all aspects of life. Get over it.
2015-11-8
Use props
fansddc39806
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1699 ft
United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-11-1 08:28
Gizadog,

the solution for you is the DJI Inspire. There are a few pieces of I1's that don't have NFZ implemented. Google them, you might still find some for sale. Also on DJI A2 controllers NFZ can be disabled, the WooKong-M doesn't have this feature at all!!!

I would like to know how to disable the A2 NFZ. If you are talking about the Limit setting, that will no bypass the NFZ
2018-7-11
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-11-1 13:30
I'd say the Inspire is a pro-sumer tool. The Inspire 1 is an excellent copter for sure but if I was earning a living exclusively from aerial work it wouldn't be my aircraft of choice for a variety of reasons (no replacement parts, limited camera options, lack of customization, etc).

To your point: DJI's true professional products lack no-fly zones and/or allow them to be disabled. If you want a professional copter, look to the S800-S1000+ series from DJI or look to other companies (FreeFly, etc).

The Inspire 2 has always been touted as a professional film making tool and the cost of it's licences and cameras reflect that considering that a "complete" setup with X7s full lens line up enough batteries to run a full day of shooting can be upwards  of $10,000 which is by no means prosumer or toy, now since it is not being sold by the enterprise division of DJI and is available via the consumer market, DJI feels it needs to have the same restrictions as a spark which is truly absurd.
2018-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules