Deal breaker: LOG and Custom Style(s) missing for OSMO in DJI GO
2878 18 2015-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doug.upthink
lvl.2
Flight distance : 861621 ft
United States

Is it just me or does the lack of a custom picture style and LOG support in the DJI Go app make the Osmo essentially useless for pro work? I'm surprised to see very little discussion about this across the internet (although I do see it is mentioned in the feature requests post in this forum).
Using the Osmo as a filmmaking tool paired with my Phantom 3 Pro, I cannot easily match footage and maximize dynamic range without LOG and a custom picture style. In my opinion, those settings are critical for professional results from the tiny sensor. Without the ability to decrease the sharpness, the resulting 4k video looks terrible in most situations.
Given that these options already exist in GO for the Phantom 3 and Inspire, I really hope to see DJI enabling this in the next release of GO (in Osmo mode).
I have no idea why these critical pro features have been disabled or simply ignored by DJI for the Osmo with X3.

Has DJI commented about the lack of LOG and custom picture styles on the Osmo w/ x3 yet? I really hope it's included in the next update (at the very least addressed by DJI) or else I will be returning my Osmo.

2015-11-2
Use props
sbrand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280830 ft
United States

I was just searching for that in settings... Since this is an X3 based camera, and it's there for the I1, there can't be a good reason for this omission other than a misplaced desire to oversimplify the interface for the 'selfie' crowd.... I love the quality of the gimbal so far and will not immediately return it, because I assume it will soon be added at a subsequent app update.  If someone from DJI could let us all know if it's coming, it will save a them a lot of returns from the advanced amateur and pro video customer...
2015-11-2
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
United States

sbrand Posted at 2015-11-2 11:29
I was just searching for that in settings... Since this is an X3 based camera, and it's there for th ...

If DJI could confirm the future of LOG for Osmo, I would also happily hold out until it's implemented back into the GO app. However, as you have pointed out -- DJI's potential logic  to simplify the Osmo UI for the selfie crowd -- could very well be the reason why it isn't included. Let's just hope they know the pro users also find value in the Osmo.
2015-11-2
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Without these options my osmo is reduced to nothing more than a conversation piece.. and the conversation is not good. I am holding out for a firmware release that will allow me to use my inspire camera. Hopefully these options will be available then.
2015-11-2
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

Here Here!
2015-11-2
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Yes please for sharpness control.

Please add this DJI, the Osmo is too sharp.

2015-11-2
Use props
Salboogie
lvl.1

United States

mine is actually out of focus and colors look awful
2015-11-2
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

I just posted a thread about this good to know I'm not the only one who needs the D LOG. My Osmo is useless will be returning it I want my money back! I can't match my inspire footage.....
2015-11-3
Use props
AlmostTan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118665 ft
United States

DJI stated that they will release the LOG functions in the next firmware release.  No ETA, of course.
2015-11-3
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

AlmostTan Posted at 2015-11-4 00:09
DJI stated that they will release the LOG functions in the next firmware release.  No ETA, of course ...

Thats good news! I wont return my Osmo
2015-11-4
Use props
OhhWell
New

United States

AlmostTan Posted at 2015-11-4 00:09
DJI stated that they will release the LOG functions in the next firmware release.  No ETA, of course ...

Well, that is good news then. I was very worried that they were going the "Cripple a lower priced product in firmware" route like Sony. Do you recall where you saw that since they aren't addressing it on this thread? So far I am really liking the Osmo after only using it for about 10 min total but I just started getting into settings and such and was very surprised to not find an option to switch to log.

Also, off topic but for some reason mine locks up and fails after one frame when trying to record cinema 4k.
2015-11-4
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

OhhWell Posted at 2015-11-4 10:18
Well, that is good news then. I was very worried that they were going the "Cripple a lower priced  ...

try UHD 24fps the 4096 4k keeps crashing so forget it till we get the update.
2015-11-4
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
United States

Westwoodfilms.c Posted at 2015-11-4 10:49
try UHD 24fps the 4096 4k keeps crashing so forget it till we get the update.

We are definitely crippled until the next update. It makes a great paper weight until then...

Where did DJI say LOG is coming in the next update?
2015-11-5
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
United States

doug.upthink Posted at 2015-11-5 09:50
We are definitely crippled until the next update. It makes a great paper weight until then...

Whe ...

I see where you got several replies about the new firmware, Westwood. Good news! http://forum.dji.com/thread-34810-1-1.html
2015-11-5
Use props
OhhWell
New

United States

doug.upthink Posted at 2015-11-5 09:55
I see where you got several replies about the new firmware, Westwood. Good news! http://forum.dji. ...

That is still vague but good news. At least the thing is functional enough to get proficient at while waiting on log and Cinema 4k. Glad I wasn't the only one having it lock up.
2015-11-5
Use props
Cyrus McCormack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 370240 ft
United States

I had commented on this and the post seemed to have disappeared, but I agree.  I think the roll-out for the OSMO was a bit premature since the first two I received were defective and would not work.  I am waiting for replacements because I strongly feel the Phantom 3 Pro demonstrated clearly that DJI has the design and engineering capabilities to keep improving the product. I have never been so impressed with a product as the Phantom 3 and can't wait to witness the OSMO evolution
2015-11-5
Use props
info.irionphoto
lvl.1

United States

Without even an estimated date for a firmware update for Dlog and 4K, as well as issues of the unit going to sleep on its own, 20 minute battery life, no 1/4 20 thread in the base to attach recorder, microphone or external battery pack, I've returned mine and will wait until it is more than a " slick selfie stick". The microphone input jack is not useful without a way to mount a microphone unless you are going to take along
A sound man with a Mike boom.

I'm hoping they will put a door on the side of the handle (with a real battery!) so that they can put a thread in the bottom of the handle.  It really is a beautiful little unit, but a bit premature.
2015-11-5
Use props
AlmostTan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118665 ft
United States

OhhWell Posted at 2015-11-4 07:18
Well, that is good news then. I was very worried that they were going the "Cripple a lower priced  ...

They said it here:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 7&fromuid=59373
2015-11-6
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Still no LOG
2015-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now