Returning of the Osmo
2312 13 2015-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abel.aluart
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone returned your Osmo.  I'm in the process of trying to do that but it seems like a nightmare.  I was informed from Sally in support that they don't take back the unit due to the issues with fan noise. Now i'm having to go through my credit card company.  But, this does not make sense to me.  If it does not work as intended and I'm informed to purchase the arm and a external microphone to fix the problem (then there is a problem).  Anyways, if anyone has had any luck returning it for this issue please let me know.  By the way, if it wasn't for this issue i'd LOVE this unit.  the size alone is wonderful.  If they were to fix the audio issue I'd buy it again.  Until then I'd rather go with a gopro and gimbal and fix in post.

2015-11-3
Use props
Richardrambone
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The built in microphone is more or less a gimmick, the fan noise, the sound of your fingers on the grip will never be resolved. If I were you I would keep the osmo and buy the external mic.
2015-11-4
Use props
telecam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1540384 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is the sound picked up by the X3 cam or by the iPhone?  I saw a message during setup asking if I wanted to allow DJI Go to access the iPhone mic....  In any case, sound quality is terrible, kind of inaudible, mic from iPhone (if this is the one in use) should yield much better audio.
2015-11-4
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

my osmo is the same.  I took great videos at my sons birthday and when i came to play them back all you can hear above his excitement and happiness is the noise of the fan!  DJI advertise it being used at a wedding!  The fan alone is enough to interrupt services!!  Very poor DJI.  You cant offer a mic facility but have a very loud fan next to it interfering with the sound quality.  Seems a product that has reincarnated itself as a ground drone has made some critical design errors.  Also, my gamble is scratching the surface below on the gimbal.  Its leaving a crescent scratch every time it moves.  Promised a lot.  Delivered on very little.
2015-11-4
Use props
telecam
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I don't think you need to be that harsh on DJI... The product is unique and well built but it should be made clear to the customer that sound from the camera is unusable.  There is certainly ways to get better sound by utilizing the Mic input on the handle and use an external mic, but in my case, this would defeat the advantage of having a compact, self-contain and somewhat rugged form factor.  Looking at the current state of the product, some users will find the Osmo works great for their needs and it will fit some niches.
2015-11-4
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

telecam Posted at 2015-11-4 13:39
Is the sound picked up by the X3 cam or by the iPhone?  I saw a message during setup asking if I wan ...

The IPhone mic request is just to keep the app running in the background when you close or interrupt the app and has nothing to do with using the mic on the IPhone.
2015-11-4
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

where you thinking of doing interviews or blogs with the internal mic? You have a mic jack what else can we ask for besides D LOG or Being able to use my inspire camera with the Osmo or be able to shoot REAL 4K without crashing. You are complaining about noise from a fan that is built to keep the 4K camera cool
2015-11-5
Use props
telecam
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I am not asking for pristine sound quality, just decent, usable wild sound.  built a directional mic in the base of the handle away from the camera's fan would have been a much better option.
2015-11-5
Use props
abel.aluart
lvl.1

United States

Westwoodfilms.c Posted at 2015-11-5 05:17
where you thinking of doing interviews or blogs with the internal mic? You have a mic jack what else ...

No, for that i will use my FS7 or A7sii.  However even the best filmmakers want a PORTABLE device like this  without adding tons of accessories mounted to it. The audio is low and noisy.  On the bright side my fan stopped working so i thought awesome no more noise but, then WOW, it got hot!  So, i did what someone here suggested and thumped the camera... what do you know! the fan started back up again. I'll reserve my comments of my thoughts about the unit and if you want to defend it.  I'll sell you mine for HALF PRICE!!  JUNK! I ordered the Beholder DS1 and i'll slap either my A7 or purchase the RX1R II
2015-11-5
Use props
mogensdalsgaard
lvl.1

Spain

abel.aluart Posted at 2015-11-6 10:35
No, for that i will use my FS7 or A7sii.  However even the best filmmakers want a PORTABLE device  ...

The sound is terrible. But the worst in my opinion is, that it is NOT possible to walk with the Osmo, and get a smooth recording. The video on DJI´s website, showing the difference with a Osmo and an ordinary handheld camera, is definately not shot with the Osmo. Probably with a drone. None of the test videos shot of the consumers, are smooth, as DJI has promised.
2015-11-14
Use props
robind_r
lvl.3
United Kingdom

mogensdalsgaard Posted at 2015-11-14 13:20
The sound is terrible. But the worst in my opinion is, that it is NOT possible to walk with the Os ...

I have to disagree with that statement. You can achieve amazing steady moving shots - however, you do really have to adapt your walk: keep your knees bent slightly to obviate the up and down motion - and you'll be very surprised!
2015-11-14
Use props
mikesd
lvl.1

United States

robind_r Posted at 2015-11-14 08:50
I have to disagree with that statement. You can achieve amazing steady moving shots - however, you ...

It's a camera; not an exercise machine.

I'm in the process of trying to return mine. The gimbals won't center and camera contacts top, against the gimbal.  They said to fill out a form and return it with receipt. Still waiting for someone to reply with RMA.
2015-11-14
Use props
mogensdalsgaard
lvl.1

Spain

robind_r Posted at 2015-11-15 00:50
I have to disagree with that statement. You can achieve amazing steady moving shots - however, you ...

Of course I have tried to use all kinds of strange ways to walk. And the more crazy I move, it becomes better. BUT: I have various videocameras with built in stabilisers, and all of them can do at least as well as the Osmo. And of course the sound quality is far, far better on any of my other cameras. That is why I dont see any reason to invest in a DJI camera at this point. I am waiting until the next generation of Osmo, hoping it will be far better.
2015-11-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry for the fan noise, we will  try to improve it later, thanks for the feedback. The sound is recorded by the OSMO built-in MIC instead of mobile device. In order to get high quality sound without noise, you can make use of the external MIC. Thanks!
2015-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules