effects from GPS Tracker units to the flight controller/receiver ?
1458 7 2014-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I want to install a small GPS tracker to the Phantom but im not sure which effect the GSM/GPRS will have to the flight controller or receiver etc.. Is it possible that the GPS tracker may disturb the Flight controller and probably cause a "fly away" ?

2014-12-22
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Should not be an issue. As someone who had lost a drone I would recommend a tracker

Wifi is 2.4 and 5.8GHZ
2014-12-22
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

teedo757@yahoo. Posted at 2014-12-22 23:14
Should not be an issue. As someone who had lost a drone I would recommend a tracker

of course GSM is a on a different frequency but when you hold your smartphone near a radio you can hear the interferences, i dont know if a smartphone can get the flight controller to freak out
2014-12-22
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Daninho, have you looked into the Marco Polo tracker?  It doesn't interfere with the controls.  While it doesn't have the ability to track over more than 2 miles, I have found that is far enough if you know where the UAV was last seen (and the probable flight path).  I also have an IR beacon on the copter when it goes up.
2014-12-22
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I use the TK102 tracker, and never had a issue with transceiver element.

RC models now use PPM( Pulse Position Modulation). The receiver is looking for changing frequencies instead of changes in amplitude, any electrical noise source that changes the amplitude of the carrier wave simply won’t be seen by the receiver.

How ever, i have installed extra copper sheilding for the GPS element with great success, as i am more concerned with GPS reliability.
2014-12-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

Daninho Posted at 2014-12-22 23:51
of course GSM is a on a different frequency but when you hold your smartphone near a radio you can ...

I think the interferences you hear from radio is not the received signal interference, it's because of the disturbed speaker circuit.
So no need to worry about the smartphone may get your FC to freak out.
Just my idea, if I make any mistake pls point it out~
2014-12-22
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2014-12-23 17:40
leostrat_54

"I also have an IR beacon on the copter when it goes up."

I have a Phoenix Jr 123 (from GMS Tactical $29) that clips on and off of the front leg of my Phantoms (it can be used on several).  It is light weight and can be seen for a few miles air to air with NVG or IR video equipment.  If hidden by buildings or vegetation the strobe effect is bright enough to still be seen by reflection.

I go to high ground (or a portable tree stand) to search.  I am in the process of getting an inexpensive IR camera up on a Phantom to do a night search.  Because it is IR it won't be visible w/o special equipment.  This can be both good and bad.  It shows up much brighter with the proper equipment, but doesn't attract unwanted attention.
2014-12-23
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2014-12-23 00:10
Daninho, have you looked into the Marco Polo tracker?  It doesn't interfere with the controls.  Whil ...

yes, i wanted the marco polo tracker and a GPS tracker because the marco polo one perfect for shorter distances. i read about the marco polo tracker yesterday and found it at readymadeRC but its really expansive but with 12g its really well suited for the phantom.
2014-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules