Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tips on flying indoors
26088 20 2015-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

FLYING INDOORS

A lot of folks have tried indoors flight, so everyone who tried it knows,that flying inside of the building is not only a challenge for the pilot’s skills but also a test of your heartbeat. So let me briefly introduce my indoors flight experience.
Step 1: Check your aircraft
Do compass calibration and see if there is a hard interference. If there is, you’d better give up this idea or find another place to fly. If there is no interference check RC and video transmitter signal, cause Wi-Fi in the building also can influence remote controller signal
134216l01ksti6x1k8kxi0.jpg
Step 2:
Find an indoor stadium or playground for tennis, badminton, basketball…
Get far from basketball baskets, stands for volleyball nets, ceiling planks and other metal constructions that can influence normal compass operation.

Step 3:
The next what you have to do is set your camera’s ISO , EV and other parameters according to the lightning.

Now it’s time to challenge your pilot’s skills…
Flying indoors you don’t really have to switch to the A-mode. In fact P-mode will also work, and automatically switch between P-GPS, P-OPTO and P-ATTI. Usually flying indoors all you can get is 5 satellites of even less, so in this situation aircraft will not use it for the positioning, also I believe you will fly higher than 3 meters and your aircraft will have some horizontal drift, so you don’t really have to rely on the vision positioning system and ultrasonic. However, the barometer is still very accurate even indoors, so you are not going to get any altitude drops.
134236pcuywfc5nc9lnom7.jpg

There are two suggestions:
1.    Flying in a big pavilion it would be good to have an assistant who follows from the ground and reports about the aircraft’s condition via walkie-talkie, while you are busy with photo of video shooting. Of course you also don’t have to stare at the screen all the time
175755rtu1loe79163yuz3.jpg
2. Piloting skills. The major part of the pilots have never fly any other aircrafts, so their skills could be not as good as experienced pilots who came to DJI multi-rotors already having DIY drones or helicopters flight experience.
Actually this issue is very easy to solve. The best choice is to buy a toy drone and practice your skills on it. Toy aircrafts have no GPS, VPS, barometer and all this stuff, they are cheap and pretty hard to brake.
DJI-Prop-Guard-for-Phantom-2-Series-Drone-100-Original-DJI-Part-28-Promotion-Fre.jpg
Another tip is to take the props guards on. It can save your aircraft from light impacts which could be crucial when you’re in the air.
Enjoy your flight

2015-11-4
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Thanks for the great info.! Keep it coming.
2015-11-5
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Great infor. Keep it coming please.
2015-11-5
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why are indoor flying tips in the handheld osmo forum?
2015-11-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

That's not what this is.  
2015-11-5
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

pinpointmapping Posted at 2015-11-5 11:16
Why are indoor flying tips in the handheld osmo forum?

This is NOT the Osmo forum - it is the Phantom 3 forum.
2015-11-8
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

Cool info.....
2015-11-8
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

I tend to fly my Hubsan X4 in doors all the time - but never felt I had enough room to fly the P3p - but if I get the opportunity to fly in a larger venue, putting on the propguards is a must. Thanks Tim!
2015-11-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Phuglie Posted at 2015-11-10 06:58
I tend to fly my Hubsan X4 in doors all the time - but never felt I had enough room to fly the P3p - ...

That is true, there are not a lot of indoor places you can fly Phantom and Inspire, except you have your own plain parking lot {:3_55:}
2015-11-9
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Hi and thanks Tim
A question about "Do compass calibration and see if there is a hard interference. If there is, you’d better give up this idea"
What is a hard interference and how do you determine that?
2016-1-1
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

jack1144 Posted at 2016-1-2 03:49
Hi and thanks Tim
A question about "Do compass calibration and see if there is a hard interference.  ...

It will be displayed in DJI GO app if there is interference or not
2016-1-3
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-3 20:45
It will be displayed in DJI GO app if there is interference or not

I understand we can read the compass value and we want it to be very near 1500, but what is a hard interference and how would that be displayed in the go app?
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

It will displayed in the aircraft status module as: Strong interference or compass just won't calibrate
2016-1-3
Use props
flightfan
New
Poland

Can the P3S be flown indoors if you have the skills?
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

flightfan Posted at 2016-1-8 10:38
Can the P3S be flown indoors if you have the skills?

Yes, experienced pilots can fly P3S indoors
2016-1-7
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

When indoor flying you should reset the RTM so that it does not climb when activated.  Would be a shame to automatically climb into the ceiling.  Here is one of my indoor flights, all ATTI mode of course.  Many cords hanging from the ceiling.
2016-1-7
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-4 01:44
It will displayed in the aircraft status module as: Strong interference or compass just won't calibr ...

Ok thanks Tim
2016-1-7
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-7 23:21
When indoor flying you should reset the RTM so that it does not climb when activated.  Would be a sh ...

Very nice hummingbird.Very cool place but not much room to the beams and hanging cords.
Did you do a compass cal inside the building?
I will be doing some shoots inside an arena and looking for advice. Don't do it , isn't an option. So looking to mitigate risks or use a different aircraft or method.
Familiar flying in ATTI and setting Failsafe to hover and have alot more overhead room than you did.lol
Thanks
2016-1-7
Use props
djiuser_Vh1o8g8o6P2Y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 811788 ft
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-1-7 20:21
When indoor flying you should reset the RTM so that it does not climb when activated.  Would be a shame to automatically climb into the ceiling.  Here is one of my indoor flights, all ATTI mode of course.  Many cords hanging from the ceiling.
https://youtu.be/jJC5z2zPQis

well done!
2020-11-23
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks very much.  Surprised to see how old this thread is and that someone is still viewing it.
Just for that I have an updated video from the museum.  Same planes but a whole new layout.
2020-11-23
Use props
djiuser_Vh1o8g8o6P2Y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 811788 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 11-23 15:23
Thanks very much.  Surprised to see how old this thread is and that someone is still viewing it.
Just for that I have an updated video from the museum.  Same planes but a whole new layout.https://youtu.be/tUV3UOikByU

Beautiful planes and museum. Your love of aviation shows. How cool to honor aviation with a drone-shot video... old meets new.
2020-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules