Advice on viewing video
1257 11 2015-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

Hi All - brand new Inspire owner so I am likely asking a question that has been asked many times before - please direct me to a previous thread if that saves time!  Just getting used to flying and taking pics and video.  Having trouble viewng video with native programs on my system - video plays a few frames, freezes and the skips ahead.  I assume the players cannot handle the 4k video - becuase it has saved in the .mov format, have tried vewing in iTunes and Quicktime (pretty basic, I know!).  So, asking as someone who knows very little about this end of the business, does anyone have any recommendations on software to view the videos properly?  Also, will be looking at video editng software to process the video.  I am not making movies or high end production.  I am doing work for clients who only care if they are given a clear aerial view of operations.  Have had specs on our computer system checked and apparently RAM could be a bit larger and video card is excellent for this purpose so I don't think my system is the issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
2015-11-5
Use props
precisionair
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1594 ft
United States

VLC works wonders for both .mp4 and .mov!
2015-11-5
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

For best results play on a big screen (50 in and above)  UHD / 4K TV. Final Cut Pro / Adobe Premiere for editing but if its cuts-only editing, iMovie (free) will work for you too as it now has 4K editing facilities.
2015-11-5
Use props
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2015-11-5 15:46
For best results play on a big screen (50 in and above)  UHD / 4K TV. Final Cut Pro / Adobe Premiere ...

Thanks Mike.  Should have mentioned I am stuck in the PC - Windows world - we do a lot of mapping/GIS  work and the software only runs under Windows.  Looks like most of what you recommended is Apple software.   Are there any versions for Windows?
2015-11-5
Use props
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

precisionair Posted at 2015-11-5 14:54
VLC works wonders for both .mp4 and .mov!

Thanks!  Do you have any recommendations for either .mov or .mp4 formats?   I am just using what the default was at present (I am assuming I can change this?).
2015-11-5
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

tworivers Posted at 2015-11-6 10:30
Thanks!  Do you have any recommendations for either .mov or .mp4 formats?   I am just using what t ...

.mp4 and .mov provide equivalent image quality. They are 'containers' for the h.264 encoding used in the camera. .mp4 is the more general solution; .mov is Apple's format from which .mp4 was derived for the rest of the industry. As long as your software can read the image formats, it really doesn't matter which one you use for editing.
2015-11-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

really there is no such a big difference between them, as far as you have codecs
2015-11-5
Use props
precisionair
lvl.2
United States

tworivers Posted at 2015-11-6 10:30
Thanks!  Do you have any recommendations for either .mov or .mp4 formats?   I am just using what t ...

Honestly, if you are just getting into the game I would stick with .mp4, it tends to work better with windows products and the codecs are easier to understand for windows folks.  I have been on windows for years now and come from the apple hating background of 15 years ago and am just NOW coming to appreciate the apple line of products for their true power.  Like I said, if it were me, I would stick with mp4 and get your feet wet, and then really dive into different codecs and how to transcode and then venture in .mov and go from there.  I work with adobe products mainly for editing and have just started using Davinci Resolve.  Davinci is free if you shoot in 1080p as well, so that is something to consider!  

Brad
2015-11-6
Use props
precisionair
lvl.2
United States

As everyone said though, the quality is no different, just ease of use really!
2015-11-6
Use props
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

precisionair Posted at 2015-11-6 07:06
As everyone said though, the quality is no different, just ease of use really!

Thanks all for your advice!  Already seeing better video!
2015-11-8
Use props
kvamens
lvl.3

Norway

precisionair Posted at 2015-11-6 16:06
Honestly, if you are just getting into the game I would stick with .mp4, it tends to work better w ...

In free version u can edit the 4k shots, but you can't render to 4k
2015-11-15
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United States

It  seems that your computer can not afford DJI Inspire 4K videos well. You can have a try to downscale 4K videos into 1080p, which will make the 4K videos more compatible with your computer.
2015-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules