Sent back P3P for shell crack, DJI puts old Rev shell back on?
1983 15 2015-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

Sent my fairly new P3P back to DJI for shell crack.  When I got it back I shined a flashlight through to check for the new X-brace design I've seen posted on here and found it to be the same design as before as far as I can tell.  

Should it have been replaced with the X-brace design?  Are there other stronger designs without the X-bracing?  Do I just assume this shell will fail as well?
2015-11-5
Use props
HiLuckyB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90226 ft
Spain

It seems like luck of the draw at this point. I have 5 flights in my new P3P, And it has cracks starting in both front arms. This is with the new motors and new body style.
2015-11-5
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 509196 ft
United States

Really?? Same shell? I've just sent today due to shell Crack in rear left arm and they told me that will replace with a new shell more resistant than previous one... I can't  believe it...
2015-11-5
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
United States

Also new version of phantom 3 with new motors is experiencing this?.... No words...
2015-11-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Do I just assume this shell will fail as well?"
Since the majority of owners of original P3s don't have any cracking, that probably wouldn't be a valid assumption.
2015-11-6
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

I just got a new shell from DJI at first I thought they had given me the old model shell but a closer look at sploodge's post i could see I had the new design.The vents are a tiny bit larger and the bracing slightly different with the pointy tabs,not easy to disern at first glance. http://forum.dji.com/thread-32834-1-1.html
2015-11-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure but, the innards my not fit in the new design? The motors are different and the ESC's.
2015-11-6
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-11-6 06:07
I just got a new shell from DJI at first I thought they had given me the old model shell but a close ...

Mine new shell definitely doesn't have the x-bracing as shown in the pics in that thread.  
2015-11-7
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-6 04:16
"Do I just assume this shell will fail as well?"
Since the majority of owners of original P3s don't  ...

If only 49% have shell cracking that still the minority, but a heck of a lot.  It's definitely very common.  
2015-11-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

seanmotox250 Posted at 2015-11-8 18:46
If only 49% have shell cracking that still the minority, but a heck of a lot.  It's definitely ver ...

You may as well say 99% is a heck of a lot.
The number with the cracking problem is only a fraction of 49%.

Only a small proportion of Phantoms have the cracking problem.
No reason to automatically assume yours will be.
2015-11-8
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-11-8 01:07
You may as well say 99% is a heck of a lot.
The number with the cracking problem is only a fraction ...

9/10ths of 49% is a fraction.  It's too many is the bottom line.  Thousands of people are sending them back and every day more are reported.  Your comments aren't helpful and who cares what the percentage is.  
2015-11-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

seanmotox250 Posted at 2015-11-11 07:51
9/10ths of 49% is a fraction.  It's too many is the bottom line.  Thousands of people are sending  ...

Where did your ridiculous 49% number come from?
Only a small fraction have reported problems.
The actual number is nowhere near what you are suggesting.
2015-11-10
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The torch method only looks at the X bracing.

There was 4 variants in the shell.
*Flat tabs, no X brace, small vents (old - cracks)
*Flat tabs, X brace, small vents (old - cracks)
*Prong tabs, no X brace, large vents (revised)
*Prong tabs, X brace, large vents (revised)

You need to take the motors off and look at the 4 tabs (you don't need to open up the phantom, just remove 4 hex screws). Now look at the motor mounts, if the tabs looks like prongs (has a notch in it) then then it is the revised shell. If they are 4 flat tab with no notches then its the old shell. Also look at the vents, they should be larger.

2015-11-10
Use props
Mordorr
lvl.2

Portugal

Thats newbie.....

You dont need to open and remove the engines.....jesus!

Just use a light to see trught the plastic....then you can see if it is the old # or the new X
2015-11-10
Use props
apezz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249915 ft
United States

mariano76 Posted at 2015-11-5 20:41
Really?? Same shell? I've just sent today due to shell Crack in rear left arm and they told me that  ...

I'm thinking about sending my P3P back to DJI to have my shell cracks repaired. I'm just wondering from anyone who has done this before me, "have they been covering this under warranty or not"? The warranty information I've see says the Frame of the craft has "No Warranty". My craft has never been in a crash and has been flown gently.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
2015-12-4
Use props
mariano76
lvl.2
Italy

apezz Posted at 2015-12-4 15:40
I'm thinking about sending my P3P back to DJI to have my shell cracks repaired. I'm just wonderin ...

Sorry Bro! just saw your quote:
My experience was this: Sent the P3A on Nov 9th and received back on Nov 16th... All under warranty no worries if you haven't crashed your drone they MUST replace the shell for free! and also pay for shipment ad they did to me...
After this i confirm that the replaced shell is the same as the old one 'cause they toldm e that new X reinforced one is suitable only on new P3 rev.B with new motors and MC board...
They told me that although replaced shell is the same as the old one in terms of design, it is a stronger one that will not develope cracks anymore...I HOPE!!
In the meanwhile i purchased a Dubro499 balancer with a balancing rod to eliminate every possible cause of vibrations. I thinks that DJI should put a balancer in every phantom they sell, this will prevent cracks and complains
2015-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules