Wi-Fi Module Replacement
33348 32 2015-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

Phantom 2 Vision + 3.0

So I've lost my FPV.  It was intermittent after a mild crash, but now it is gone.  Rebound the camera, opened the shell to see if there were any loose wires.  Made sure everything was snug.  I am assuming that the wi-fi module was damaged in the crash, but not sure.

Any ideas?

2015-11-6
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

TR , this is all you can try before deciding you have to change out the Tx module in the Phantom.
Video feed trouble shooting
Please try the following steps:
•        Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware. Check updated, plus the camera firmware
•        Ensure you are connected to the wifi phantom-xxxx SID
.        Check bluetooth be sure it is off
•        Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software.
•        Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications.
•        Check the free space on your mobile device, it is recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing an issue.
•        Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again.
           Try reformatting the SD card with  full format.
•        Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app.
Check your wifi battery level.
Check the three leads going to the gimbal to be sure they are tight. Check each one closely for any pins that may have pulled up and loose.
If the above don't get it then the only remaining check is the video feed plug on the wifi transmitter under the shell.
If that's ok then it's most likely a damaged or burnt out wifi transmitter if you still see the SID.
image.jpg
2015-11-7
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-11-7 06:50
TR , this is all you can try before deciding you have to change out the Tx module in the Phantom.
Vi ...

I believe I have tried all of this, but will run through again.  Pulled all plugs out and reseated.  Rebound the camera.  Photos are being taken, so the camera is working.
2015-11-7
Use props
motia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14452 ft
United States

I also struggle with the question on how to verify if your wifi module is bad or not after you loose your FPV. Here is something to think about. If you take a video or photo with your phantom, and you can stream the video or photo back to your phone vis the app after it was taken, does it uses the same wifi module and does it mean the wifi module is good? Why would a wifi module be only bad to stream live video but be ok streaming a video from the camera memory card after the shot? What is the difference?
2015-11-8
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

motia Posted at 2015-11-8 09:26
I also struggle with the question on how to verify if your wifi module is bad or not after you loose ...

Excellent Question!!  DJI?  So far no one from DJI has contacted me...
2015-11-10
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

The wifi transmitter unit  in the phantom has two circuits and two boards. On image.jpeg is for camera operation and the second is strictly video feed. Most of the issues are with the video board.ie
image.jpeg
2015-11-11
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-11-11 08:47
The wifi transmitter unit  in the phantom has two circuits and two boards. On is for camera operatio ...

So wind up sending it back to DJI for repair.  When I opened the shell it looks like the transmitter box was dented.  I don't think that could have happened when it went down.  The shell would have protected it.  I think something came loose though inside, so that iis why the problem is intermittent.
2015-11-11
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

motia Posted at 2015-11-9 01:26
I also struggle with the question on how to verify if your wifi module is bad or not after you loose ...

Bandwidth rate. As the wifi modules start to "fry out", bandwidth decreases. You will start noticing less range, and that you have to drop frame rates and resolution just to get FPV. Essentially, you still have bandwidth but at a low speed/rate.

And for an analogy...
Think of it as watching a youtube clip (streaming/fpv) versus downloading a video and then watching it (file transfer over wifi). If you have crap bandwidth when streaming, you continue to get buffering issues. If you have crap bandwidth for downloading a file, it will simply take longer but you will still get the file.

Make sense??

2015-11-12
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Are you still getting telemetry but zero FPV and a "connection broken warning"?
I do really think that you have damaged the 4pin clip in cable.

And also make sure you are bounding the wifi correctly.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... _the_Range_Extender
Use a wifi scanner and look for the Phantom's MAC address. The QR barcode could be wrong or the previous owner could have swapped it.

2015-11-12
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-11-12 18:19
Are you still getting telemetry but zero FPV and a "connection broken warning"?
I do really think th ...

I was getting everything except FPV.  Photos were taken all else was fine.  Was just flying blind.
2015-11-12
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-11-13 10:49
I was getting everything except FPV.  Photos were taken all else was fine.  Was just flying blind.

Have you dropped resolution your fpv and losing distance? Are you going from 640x480@15fps to 320x240@15fps just to get FPV? If so then you wifi module could be on itss on its way out...
2015-11-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi, trrdesign
Sorry for late response . This probably caused by the wifi transmitter damage .I'm afraid you'll have to send it back for a confirmation and repair . But before you send it back , please give it another try .Thus you already know how to bind the camera , Please try re-bind again and try other devices .If that won't work , please send it back then .
2015-11-13
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

There are two boards in the Wi-Fi transmitter module. One strictly for video and second for telimentry data.
2015-11-14
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

Thanks all.  It's been received by DJI at this time.  Hope to see it again in a few weeks.
2015-11-18
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Their are two boards in the Wi-Fi module. One for telemetry/camera and a second one for video feed only. So part can work and no video. Hope this helps.
2015-11-21
Use props
baggins
New
Hungary

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-11-12 15:49

Hi!
I had same issue with my P2V+ drone. I ordered a WIFI module from eBay. I got it today. I replaced it then I rebind with camera. Note! The new WIFI module has new MAC address! You shouldn't scan QR code from phantom. You must enter it from the attached document what you will get with the new WIFI module. My drone works fine and I have live pic stream on my phone.

bye

Istvan
2017-5-31
Use props
fansa07d80ca
lvl.1

United States

I have been trying to track down a replacement wifi module and even the PV2+ drones listed on ebay & amazon (crashed for parts) ALL so far have had the same issue. I don't see them listed on DJI's site anymore either and would really like to extend the life of this one.
2017-7-8
Use props
PaulY
New

United Kingdom

fansa07d80ca Posted at 2017-7-8 05:47
I have been trying to track down a replacement wifi module and even the PV2+ drones listed on ebay & amazon (crashed for parts) ALL so far have had the same issue. I don't see them listed on DJI's site anymore either and would really like to extend the life of this one.

Does anyone know where to get hold of a new wifi module, I've been told they were not available anymore, and this is going to mean that my £350 xmas present (we weren't told it was not working) will never get a chance to fly. can anyone suggest a possible source for these modules?
2017-7-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I doubt you will find one new unless it's attached to a new Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

How about a used one?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phan ... :g:tfUAAOSwa~hZX866
2017-7-11
Use props
VonV3ntur
New
Flight distance : 61444 ft
Czechia

i need this part where i buy it ? czech republic
2017-9-4
Use props
fansafa73cc8
New

United States

When I try to connect with the phone, the following message appears: failed to get ip address, has anyone had this problem?

2017-9-13
Use props
UnderCtrl - Fly
lvl.1

Sweden

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-11-18 16:19
Thanks all.  It's been received by DJI at this time.  Hope to see it again in a few weeks.

Hey, did you ever get a new WiFi-module? Did it fix the issue with the FPV? Having the same problems over here.. *sigh*
2018-1-14
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

I bought my WIFI Module from these guys "HeliPal", they are sold out right now but if you keep checking they will come in, and go FAST!!!  here is the link. After I replaced mine it worked like brand new.

http://www.helipal.com/index.html
2018-1-28
Use props
okstuv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 412694 ft
  • >>>
United States

TomWolves Posted at 2018-1-28 15:15
I bought my WIFI Module from these guys "HeliPal", they are sold out right now but if you keep checking they will come in, and go FAST!!!  here is the link. After I replaced mine it worked like brand new.

http://www.helipal.com/index.html

Apologies to bump a pretty old thread. For those of you who are quite technical DIY'ers, my tutorial walks you through re-flashing the bootloader on the bottom board to recover FPV.

https://sites.google.com/view/phantom-2-wifi-module-fix/home

It's a bit technical, feel free to contact me via the details on my site if you have any questions.

Hope this helps a bunch of people get FPV back on their Phantom 2 Vision Plus quads!
2018-2-13
Use props
Drone_Pilot
lvl.1

Netherlands

First of all,
i would like to present me to be a proud member of this amazing forum.
I read more and more problems of the issues on the wifi module that is not working after the update on the phantom 2 vision plus or when it's not in use after a couple of weeks or months.
The problem is not a big issue...you can do it yourself...https://sites.google.com/view/phantom-2-wifi-module-fix/home ...  if you don't have  the time or patience to do it yourself you can send your module to fix it under 50 €...yes...that's included the shipping costs in the Netherlands.

2018-5-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Mine still works fine and it does sometimes go a few months between flights.  I have the old version without the perforations.  Not sure why I'm so lucky.  I can only guess.  I don't fly on hot days.  I don't use the amp technique of increasing power on the AC transmitter.  Just guessing  <shrug>

There's a guy on eBay who fixes them.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Pha ... :g:6u4AAOSw5VtaG68v

Also, earlier this year, DJI was fixing them for free.  All you had to do was contact them and start a case, and have no mods to the AC.  Not sure if that's still happening or not.  
2018-5-21
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

I removed the copper tape on the wifi module that holds the two shields together , the module is now running a lot cooler and no issues with any interference with the screen copper tape.
2018-6-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

From what I've read, you're supposed to leave the copper tape on there or replace it if you remove it to protect the other components on your centerboard (e.g. the flight controller) from transmitter radiation interference.  For cooling, Arctic Silver seems to be the popular heat sink compound to apply to the transmitter but you should research how to do it.  Good luck.
2018-6-28
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

i measured the electronic radiation , there isn't much difference with or without the tape , it ran cooler with the tape removed.
2018-7-3
Use props
KAYU MANIS CHANNEL
New

Timor-Leste

Halo suhu, Dji phantom 3 saya disconnect, katanya wifi modulnya, gara2 awalnya cuma blank di screen. Firmware minta update, saya sengaja gak update tapi masih blank. Kemudian saya coba on lagi sekarang malah blank screen. Apakah ada solusinya? Trims sebelumnya
2019-2-7
Use props
E2000g
lvl.1

United States

okstuv Posted at 2018-2-13 13:58
Apologies to bump a pretty old thread. For those of you who are quite technical DIY'ers, my tutorial walks you through re-flashing the bootloader on the bottom board to recover FPV.

https://sites.google.com/view/phantom-2-wifi-module-fix/home

Yeah thanks I ordered the parts off amazon to re flash the module. My question is about the top board. Does that one go bad or is it just the bottom one(Black)? I have looked up the hidden wi fi and it defiantly is not working! I have even pinged my extender and it works fine. I cannot connect the extender to the drone at all. The camera does still tilt using the advanced remote(Silver knob on the upper right hand side). Do you think this will work? I have two wi fi modules one is a version one will no holes and the other is a V2 will holes. I will re heat paste my drone as I have done it in the past on my computers.
2019-11-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

E2000g Posted at 11-12 17:24
Yeah thanks I ordered the parts off amazon to re flash the module. My question is about the top board. Does that one go bad or is it just the bottom one(Black)? I have looked up the hidden wi fi and it defiantly is not working! I have even pinged my extender and it works fine. I cannot connect the extender to the drone at all. The camera does still tilt using the advanced remote(Silver knob on the upper right hand side). Do you think this will work? I have two wi fi modules one is a version one will no holes and the other is a V2 will holes. I will re heat paste my drone as I have done it in the past on my computers.

okstuv does not frequent this forum so allow me...

Yes, the top board can quit working too, which means no wifi signal.  There is no fix for that, that I've heard.  A tech once told me you can swap out those boards, but when I tried that once, it didn't work.  The green lamps on the top board would glow for half a second and then the board would turn itself off - it won't work with a new working bottom board, but it will work with the original bottom board.  There must be a reset for one of the boards but I am not sure how to do that.  

Not sure what you mean by hidden wifi.  The MAC address SSID has a <hidden> name - but the signal itself would be working if you can see the signal with a wifi analyzer.  If the drone is on and there is no wifi signal with a <hidden> SSID and a 60 60 1F MAC, then the top board has failed.  

The tilt function of the camera gimbal and the NPVT581 controller works with the 5.8 ghz "7th channel" and has nothing to do with the wifi signal.  As far as heat goes, keeping everything cool as possible is a good thing and may help extend life, but the boards will fail eventually regardless of what you do.  Powering up the module as often as possible, at least once a month, will also extend life.  Also, know a fresh flash does not make the board new again.  It may fail just a few months later.  And sometimes the bottom board's NAND will fail and then the flash attempt will also fail.  

Good luck
2019-11-13
Use props
tommyhill1984hotmail.com
New

United States

baggins Posted at 2017-5-31 01:51
Hi!
I had same issue with my P2V+ drone. I ordered a WIFI module from eBay. I got it today. I replaced it then I rebind with camera. Note! The new WIFI module has new MAC address! You shouldn't scan QR code from phantom. You must enter it from the attached document what you will get with the new WIFI module. My drone works fine and I have live pic stream on my phone.

Mine went out too on my phantom 2 vision plus
I ordered one from eBay and it fixed mine but has went out again. I wish they could fix them better
2020-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules