Video Glitches
1835 10 2015-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mvgossman
lvl.1
United States

Check this video for example, these happen frequently enough, glitches in video downloaded from the SD card in the Phantom 3. This is 1080 30fps. It doesn't spoil all the fun but is there a way to get rid of it? Running the current firmware.

2015-11-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

When you say downloaded, how do you get the video clip off the card?
2015-11-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, are you inserting the micro sd card from the gimbal, into a card reader and placing it into a port on your desktop/laptop computer?
Those blips and red frames are disturbing and very distracting from the otherwise lovely scenery you've presented.
Hope you get it figured out and stop those awful negative, abnormal tics.
Check  your ribbon cables and be sure they are connected securely.

RedHotPoker

2015-11-9
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

SD card could be the issue.....just a thought
2015-11-9
Use props
mvgossman
lvl.1
United States

I am removing the SD card from the Gimbal, placing in a card reader, thence into the USB port to the computer. Much faster and simpler for me. Should I be using the USB port on the Gimbal for some reason?

This glitchy stuff occurs with both the card that came with it and a second card purchased separately with the needed specifications:

http://amzn.com/B00M55C1I2

Don't recall offhand what brand/specifications SD card came with it. I've tried reformatting them, no help.

Have not checked the security of the ribbon cable, is that obvious to find and secure?

Mitch
2015-11-9
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

That is not normal. The fact that 2 cards present the same problems means it is either the camera or it could be your computer HD, or even the card reader.

If you have another card reader and access to another computer try those. If it persists with those out of the equation, I would contact DJI
2015-11-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Try the steps suggested first, with a new micro sd card reader, & perhaps a different 'puter.
Checking the cable at both ends, No, Nothing is obvious, you even may need to unscrew & remove the gimbal.
Ah, If you don't feel competent to venture there, please take it to a hobby shop.
Where by, you can hopefully get some qualified assistance from staff.
Otherwise, it needs to be sent in for repair, or exchanged, but you will soon find out, which avenue to pursue.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-9
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Check to see if the "cached" video stored in the DJI app on your tablet has the same anomalies...if it doesn't, it may be the SD card or card reader.  I've had bad card readers before, they're fairly cheap to replace.  I recommend using Samsung Pro or Sandisk Ultra SD cards...I have had more SD cards (micro) than I care to remember (i am a network engineer) and I had found that almost all of the cheaper brands fail eventually. The only ones I have never had problems with are Samsung and Sandisk.  I have a Samsung Pro MicroSD that has been in my cellphone for over 2 years and it still performs fine.  Also, most of the Pro series Samsung SD cards come with a nice USB 2.0 adapter/reader free
2015-11-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

mvgossman, formatting SD didn't work for you as well?  How about another card reader?
2015-11-9
Use props
mvgossman
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all for the great advice. I think I've found the problem via this troubleshooting.
1. Before reading these suggestions, I got a new SD card, the Sandisk 95 MB/s Pro: http://amzn.com/B00NUB3530. Unfortunately, no free reader. New video transferred via my USB reader to Macbook Pro shows the same type flaws and glitches.
2. As suggested, looking at the cached video on the iPhone, I see no flaws, including scrutinizing specific frames from the downloaded version. Well that's encouraging, it's not likely the camera or cable, so it's either the card or the Phantom's card writer or something else downstream in the transfer process to the computer.
3. Downloaded the SD card via my USB reader again, and glitches still present but different times! Aha, it's not the Phantom, it's the card reader, my old micro SD adapter, or computer.
4. Downloaded the SD card via my USB reader but this time into my iMac. It is perfect, not a single misplaced pixel or scan line.
5. Dowloaded the SD card to my Macbook Pro via the USB cable to the Phantom camera. Same thing PERFECT. But the way, faster than my USB card reader.
6. Tried the left USB plug this time for the USB card reader, glitches again, different times.
7. Last transfer, used my trusty USB reader but with the new SD Micro adapter that cam with the new micro SD card. Glitches remain.

So the video is perfect, it's not the Phantom 3, it's trouble with transferring video from the old USB readers to my Macbook, they don't get along. For some reason it works with my iMac, a considerably faster processor which may have something to do with it.

I'll be getting a new card reader and see if it works with my Macbook this time. It'd be nice to be able to use it, it is clunky using the Phantom as a card reader.
2015-11-16
Use props
mvgossman
lvl.1
United States

Addendum: I forgot my computer, Macbook Pro, does have an SD reader, hadn't ever used it, just read the micro SD through the adaptor to the computer receptacle without the USB card reader, and video is perfect. Three times faster transfer too. No need to purchase a USB reader!
2015-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules