What to do with a quickly aging Phantom 1
4008 8 2015-11-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zepterfd
New

United States

I purchased my Phantom 1 about 2 years ago and it seems like I have been dumping money into upgrades ever since. With the drone industry boom came new models that had better flight times, inclusive equipment like gimbals and cameras, and more functionality -- all for a quickly dropping price.
I'm now at the point where I just cannot reason putting more money into my Phantom 1 since all 4 of my 2200 mAh batteries are on their last leg and I'm constantly unsatisfied with the shot's im getting -- even with a gimble. With my current setup I am lucky if I get a 6 minute flight time with the gimble/camera/video transmitter on board which appears to be a laughable number compared to what other drones and newer models of the phantom can acheive. With each new battery and every new prop I buy now I bite my tongue thinking it costs a small fraction of what a newer model would cost me if I just manned up and bought one.

So, my question is, what do I do with this thing? Is there a decent market for used phantom 1's and if so is the price even worth it? If it is the sort of thing where the price is so low that I'd be better off just keeping it as a "beat around toy" then I'd rather do that. However, I know sometimes companies have a "buy back" option or there is a niche market for the older models and I was wondernig (crosses fingers) if that might be the case here.

Another option, although I find it unlikely, is if there are ways to upgrade the Phantom 1 easily and at a reasonable price in ways that it could essentially acheive what the newer ones do in terms of performance. I'd guess this would mean getting new motors, computers, modules, batteries, etc. but gain, after it's all said and done, it seems I'd be better off just buying a new one for about the same price (not necessarily a dji).

Thanks!
Pete
2015-11-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

We do not have a buy back option. Sorry. If I were you I would keep it as a beat around toy as you said.  Not worth upgrading in my opinion.

Dave
2015-11-10
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I have a Phantom 3 and a Phantom 1.

The Phantom 3 is my backup.
When I want to have fun, it's the P1 all the way.
I really like my P3
I really LOVE my P1

Change the way you look at things and the things you look at will change.

2015-11-11
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

What is the total weight of your P1 ?
I can tell you a P3 feels like a bowling ball compared to the P1

Most people change to a 3700mAh or 4000mAh battery.

I always find 7 minutes to be more than enough flight time.
What is it that you want to do that you need bigger motors and more flight time?
2015-11-11
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Pete.

One very quick and simple mod to improve flight times is to widen the battery hatch by a few millimetres all around, I used a Dremel type hobby tool, to accomodate the 4000mAh Multistar batteries sold by Hobbyking.

I'm flying my P1 with Walkera G2D gimbal and iLook camera and with the 4000mAh 3S 10c batteries I'm achieving an average flight time of 17 minutes.

The Multistar batteries are only slightly larger and heavier than a regular 2200mAh battery because they have a lower discharge rating of 10c. This is still a discharge rating of 40Amp which is more than enough for a Phantom.

Another option would be to put all the electronics of the P1 into a P2 shell. You would then be able to fit a Multistar 3S 5200mAh battery with ease. You will need a third party battery door but these are available on eBay ( search for Phantom Big Mouth door) or if you have access to a 3d printer you can download the sketch from Thingyverse.

Regards

Nidge
2015-11-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Great suggestions Nidge.
2015-11-18
Use props
keelbyfish
lvl.3