October FW update?
1330 24 2015-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

Back in September we were hearing of a possible major FW update coming in late October. There was even a list of bugs and improvements it was supposed to fix. Then (possibly coincidentally) the FAA announced their involvement in our hobby. There was no more talk of this supposed FW update. So, I now have a few questions...

Did I just dream the whole FW update up, because nobody has even whispered anything about it lately?

Is DJI just a little late releasing it?

Is DJI going to wait until the FAA comes out with their rules and regulations so that the FW will be 1 step ahead of their competitors with the regulations built in already?

I am just hoping they are not waiting for the FAA. Our government doesn't get in a hurry about anything. And once they get involved, rest assured, they will muck up a good thing. Their track record proves it.

I am not trying to start a political discussion with my negativity towards our lack of competence in office. I just want to know if we should be expecting a major FW update soon.
2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-10 16:03
If the FCC is involved i dont want anymore FW updates or app updates. Im sure they will limit height ...

Yeah, that is kinda what I'm worried about. We have a good platform right now. If we wait to take anymore updates, it might not be as good. I wish DJI would hurry up with the update.
2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-10 16:15
Why what are you wanting in the next update? What problems are you having?

I'm not having any. I just have the app locked down so that it will not hit the DJI servers to check for updates. I figure it will be a mandatory update so if it doesn't know about it and I fly it with airplane mode on I will never have to take the update if it is limiting in nature.
2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-10
Use props
IMI193 (RI,USA)
lvl.3

United States

I have not had my P3S long enough for an update. If it says an update is available (and I'm not having any problems) I have to install it before I can fly again ?
2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

IMI193 (RI,USA) Posted at 2015-11-10 16:41
I have not had my P3S long enough for an update. If it says an update is available (and I'm not havi ...

Depends on how the update is written. If it is a mandatory update then yes, you will be grounded until you update. That's how mine was when I bought it. Had to update before flying the first time.
2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I enjoy looking forward to new and exciting features.
Even if it means upgrading to the next new Phantom drone released.

There are many other awesome quad copter manufacturers,
but they mostly all still ride on the @DJI long coattail's. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Johnny Umma was a rebel, so was James Dean. ;-)
Me, have I actually simmered down, well yes a lot, in my senior years.

Only go to the Queens court for SpYder RS-S speeding rYde fines now. Outch.
Sadly I was just in there this morning, getting another fine reduced and more time to pay it.

I need to "Slow down I move too fast. Gotta make this 94 octane LA$T." Hehe

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The future is STILL very bright for @DJI. But there are drone competitors with equally great products coming  to an airspace near you.
The ever growing drone market, has some enticing new flyers.
http://thedronegirl.com/2015/08/ ... rone-out-there-yet/

& If you have very deep pockets. . . ;-)
http://thedronegirl.com/2015/10/ ... th-gh4-integration/
She knows, what she likes. Hehe

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

gas.tube Posted at 2015-11-10 17:18
I'm not having any. I just have the app locked down so that it will not hit the DJI servers to che ...

Hi,
How did you go about blocking internet access for DJI go app?
i assume it would an Android device and then blocking data access for that app?

If so, doesnt that block maps from loading also? thanks
2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-10 19:36
Is that what the "+" and the end of the version means?

I'm not sure how DJI does it, however there are many ways of doing it. You could append a +, or end the file name with a '1' or a '0'.

Then the coding is easy. A simple If/Then or If/Then/Else statement would run a part of the code that  immobilized the bird if, say, the trigger it was looking for was that +, 1, or 0. That would be the easiest way to do it.

2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

alirz1 Posted at 2015-11-10 20:29
Hi,
How did you go about blocking internet access for DJI go app?
i assume it would an Android dev ...

You typically have to be rooted, then run a freezing app, like Titanium backup. It will freeze the app so that it doesn't run in the background.

Just make sure you have data/wifi off when you unfreeze it. And yes, you lose the map functionality. My line of thinking is that if I block an update that will limit my flight distance to 100yds (or something equally ridiculous), than it would be worth it. You would also lose flight data from being sent to the DJI servers. It is a worst-case scenario though. As long as there is no update when I fly I let it sync to their cloud. When I'm at work, or not flying, the app stays frozen.
2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-10 20:06
The future is STILL very bright for @DJI. But there are drone competitors with equally great product ...

Yes, I have been following the competition. There are some nice models out there right now. My concern, though, is what will happen to our hobby once these rules and regulations are passed. Obviously we can't argue it right now, but it may make it a moot point anyway. They may all be limited in flight and functionality. That is why I will let you guys take the upcoming updates first. Once you report back I will then update. Otherwise, I'm keeping my Phantom the way it is right now.
2015-11-10
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Just because an update in firmware or the Go app works great for me, or most others, doesn't mean it will work well for your bird.
So waiting for our failures is fruitless to you. You need to have complete trust in the product and services in the first place.
I wouldn't have boughten into the hype of @DJI great products without some investigation into them first.
So, suppose for myself, the @DJI first pilot experience cleared up a bunch of myths and misconceptions
I had mistakenly made about the products. Getting involved at the time of the Phantom 3 was an advantage too.
Especially when learning an expensive element was added to the equation, in the form of Lightbridge. ;-)
That was a major advantage to me, as a newcomer to the quad camera game. Having the longer distance of flight with video feedback,
Seemed like a no brainer to me. I also really like the idea of having these intelligent flight batteries, with user programable micro chips. That's brilliant.
Who would ever have thought that a rechargeable unit, might have its charger right inside the battery casing? Another Marvellous concept.

So many pluses from such a young in years company.

Seems like many of their awesome innovations, are copied by others.

Even the look of their battery, not to mention thee much talked about @DJI branded hard-shell back-pack. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-10 21:06
The future is STILL very bright for @DJI. But there are drone competitors with equally great product ...

Saw one of those Yuneec copters at Best Buy.  They are pretty large machine....about 4-6" larger than the Phantom 3.

i also seem to remember seeing that distance (due to signal strength) is limited to around 2600ft (1/2 mile).   Distance isn't horrible, but that means when you get into an area that has some more obstacles (like tree branches) you'll lose signal rapidly without the extra 'oomph' you can get with the Phantom 3.

You also gotta wonder how many accessories will be out there for the Yuneec.

Definitely more and more coming, tho!
2015-11-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

There weren't a ton of stuff available for the Phantom 3 at first release either. Remember, only a few short months ago.
But as their sales multiplied & grew larger, the 3-D peripherals and gadgetry came out of the woodwork.
Filters, drone cases, lens caps, the list gets on, gimbal locks & guards, body decal kits. . . Better antennae.
Where does it end, a complete tear down and rebuild? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2015-11-10
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-10 22:57
Just because an update in firmware or the Go app works great for me, or most others, doesn't mean it ...

That is exactly why I will wait to update. My bird is near flawless and I routinely take it on 3 mile round trip flights. My biggest fear is that future updates will handicap our current distance capabilities, or disable it somehow that will prevent it from leaving our own backyard. I did a lot of research in the market before choosing DJI and I did so for the features, especially the Lightbridge connection.

If DJI was in complete control of the programming I would have absolute faith in the fact that they would maximize the potential of our Phantoms. As it appears, DJI may be holding off to see what the FAA has coming down the pipe before they release any more software updates for our birds. Then the update may be full of code to appease US lawmakers. But this is only speculation on my part.

And it may come down to future quads being sold in the US may have more limitations than the ones sold in other countries. Only time will tell.
2015-11-11
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-11 00:09
There weren't a ton of stuff available for the Phantom 3 at first release either. Remember, only a f ...

So very very true indeed!
2015-11-11
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Well we can always just fly without the app. No video recording obviously..
2015-11-11
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Hey Raptor - I have the Yuneec Q500 4K (as well as my Phantom) and it is just as you described...bigger, bulkier, slower...and it loses video signal if I fly behind a piece of string!! ha ha ha  But, in all fairness, it is nice to fly if you don't like speed or agility.  It's camera quality is actually a little better than the P3P's 4K camera, but it doesn't have as many camera controls or settings.  I bought it thinking that its size would maybe make it a little faster or more stable in wind...neither is true.  But I got it on sale at Fry's for $1100 out the door, so its not a total loss   The one nice thing about it is that the screen is built in to the RC, so there are no issues with video lag or anything like that, and the "app" that's built in just works - no issues
2015-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules