P2 circles then crashes by itself
2552 14 2014-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markus
lvl.4

Germany

I have a serious problem with my P2 and I need help, please!

Setup: P2, H3-3D Zenmuse, GoPro 3+ BE, iOSD mini, Immersion RC Transmitter, Stock transmitter, latest firmware on all componants.

I flew my P2 without any problems until about 4 weeks ago. When I take off and let go of all controls, the P2 hovers for about 10-20 seconds (like it should), then starts flying circles (clockwise) of about 3-5 meters diameter and then suddenly flyes down fast in an angle and crashes to the ground. I flew in different areas, always had the compass callibrated, took of with 10 or more sattelites and made sure no wifi, powerlines, antenas etc. were around. I doubt that this is a fly away. The last time I managed to flick the S1 Switch to fail safe mode. The P2 changed the LEDs to yellow, but continued on its crash course without attempting to fly home!

I'm not sure if the P2 reacts to my trasmitter during the weird behaviour  because those last four flights where approx 2-3 meters high and no more than 10 meters away from me. So the time period until the crash was not enough to tell exactly or to experiment with the transmitter.

I then removed the gimbal and FPV and flew the P2 like out of the box --> Same behaviour (first circles and then crashes).

These crashes destroyed 1X Gimbal , 2X landing gear and 3X props. I am so scared to fly again. Please, does anybody know what the problem could be???
Any Ideas??? Thanx!

Here is the video to one of the crashes >> http://youtu.be/UlTU5qOruQo  <<

2014-12-23
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Uhhh, UFOs?  Have you tried an IMU/advanced calibration in the Vision Assistant?

Kidding about UFO's but we have had some galactic interference this past week (I don't know if NOAA has historic records of 3 weeks ago)

2014-12-23
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

With all the recent updates, I assume you have 're calibrated everything, I mean EVERYTHING including IMU?
2014-12-23
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

Thanks for your input so far...

I callibrated everything but the IMU. The software said that the IMU does not need callibartion. However, I will be doing this now and will inform you guys if it worked or not. PS. Check out the video of one of the crashes --> http://youtu.be/UlTU5qOruQo  
2014-12-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

markus@egide.de Posted at 2014-12-24 09:54
Thanks for your input so far...

I callibrated everything but the IMU. The software said that the IM ...

Do you calibrate the compass at your take off point?
2014-12-23
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Check to see if that pitch was laid on reinforced concrete. It seems the phantom gets discombobulated when near the ground.

Also, are you sure there's no wind.  The props sound like it's pretty windy.  
2014-12-23
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

Hi, markus,
please try IMU calibration first.
And have you followed the procedure in the manual to calibrate the compass?
BTW, just curious, what's the two black tubes appeared at the bottom of your video?
2014-12-24
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2014-12-24 16:55
Hi, markus,
please try IMU calibration first.
And have you followed the procedure in the manual to c ...

Hi,

The tubes at the bottom are from my new carbon landing skid after the plastik ones broke on the previous crash.

I callibrated the compass like explained in the manual by turning the quad 360°, then plip and spin again. Is there another way?
2014-12-24
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-12-24 11:48
Check to see if that pitch was laid on reinforced concrete. It seems the phantom gets discombobulate ...

Hey there,

well, This pitch once was a mais field, so there is no concrete under it. Besides, this happend at 3 different locations many km apart. I guess there was a tiny bit of wind, but certainly no where near anything explaining it's behaviour.
2014-12-24
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It appears to be a intermittent issue, I periodically open the PV2 shell and check the electrical connections in particular the GPS cable connections.
2014-12-24
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

markus@egide.de Posted at 2014-12-24 21:23
Hi,

The tubes at the bottom are from my new carbon landing skid after the plastik ones broke on t ...

Hi, Markus,
Your compass calibration step is exactly right.
After the landing skid being installed, the drone's flight path is still normal, right?
Hope this issue has no time relationship with the new skid (I suppose the change of the gravity center may cause it).
How's the IMU calibration result?
2014-12-24
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-25 00:54
It appears to be a intermittent issue, I periodically open the PV2 shell and check the electrical co ...

machine wont spin up without gps wire
connected.....
2014-12-25
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

mixstreme Posted at 2014-12-25 22:33
machine wont spin up without gps wire
connected.....

Correct.  But it will spin up if it's intermittent. Bad connections. Ect. I have noticed.
2014-12-25
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2014-12-25 09:49
Hi, Markus,
Your compass calibration step is exactly right.
After the landing skid being installe ...

Hey there,

I put some thought on your comment and realized that the "weird" behaviour started after I changed the stock landing gear to the tall plastic landing gear, without calibrating the IMU, only the compass (which I do before every flight). The P2 then crashed and smashed the landing gear. It didn't fly circles as much like it did in the vid though, it just flew "away" 10 meters and crashed straight down. Then I bought that carbon landing skid. These are not 90° verticle to the ground but in an angle (like a V upside down). The compas is therfore also not aligned straight to the ground.  

I didn't think that the position of the compas could screw up the flight behaviour.  Could it?

Anyway, I now calibrated the IMU (first basic, then advanced). I't night time now, so I'll fly again in the morning. If it continues to have this weird behaviour, I'll put the stock gear back on and re-calibrate the IMU and try again.  Thanks for your input!!

I'll report tomorrow. Have a great day!
2014-12-25
Use props
markus
lvl.4

Germany

:D:D

I just came back from a test flight. The Phantom flew like a charm. No problems what so ever. The problem must have been the position/orientation of the compass. My bad

What have I learnd the hard way: Keep the landing skid stock, or at least position the compass exactly there where it was in the first place!

I would like to hear comments about others who have placed their compass somwehere else on the quad or on other (non stock) landing gear. Any trouble then?

Thanks to all!
2014-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules