**DJI Team** Very bad high pitched noise when using external mic!!!
6139 17 2015-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Hi, I use an externam Rode video mic pro, and the sound is unusable because of a horrible high pitch sound coming from the camera. Please fix this in the next firmware update. I have tried mulitple cameras so I know it is not a defect.

Anyone else experiencing this? Thank you!
2015-11-11
Use props
bullet120
lvl.1

United States

Used a Rode Stereo Mic Pro last night. Due to the lack of accessories, the setup was cobbled onto an Alzo bracket on a Manfrerto tripod and head. Absolutely no interference, fan, gimbal or contact noises and was using +20db.
2015-11-11
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

bullet120 Posted at 2015-11-11 14:41
Used a Rode Stereo Mic Pro last night. Due to the lack of accessories, the setup was cobbled onto an ...

Yes that is because you mounted it on a different rig...I want to mount a mic on the Osmo without rigging it on something else
2015-11-11
Use props
dji-bengz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8225 ft
Hong Kong

Hi mountmotor,

We have a fix for the high pitch sound issue and will include it in the next fw update.  Stay tuned.
2015-11-11
Use props
Messydesk
New

Canada

Hi there, just to jump onto this thread with what I think is the same problem... I feel like it might be hardware related as it seems to happen on angling the Osmo... Here's my  camera making the high pitched noise... Thoughts?
https://goo.gl/photos/2ghpv2UUhEB2qnrC8
-Dave
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Messydesk Posted at 2015-12-17 00:45
Hi there, just to jump onto this thread with what I think is the same problem... I feel like it migh ...

Hi, sorry about the pitch noise, your Osmo might have a quality issue, please contact your dealer or DJi technical support for repair or replacement. By the way, could you please provide the Serial number of your Osmo, it's on the gimbal roll axis arm, start with 06P*************. Thanks.
2015-12-16
Use props
Messydesk
New

Canada

I thought the sound was a little off! I will contact support.
Thanks.

2015-12-16
Use props
Messydesk
New

Canada

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-16 18:52
Hi, sorry about the pitch noise, your Osmo might have a quality issue, please contact your dealer o ...

Sure, Serial # is 06PDCJ16020337
2015-12-16
Use props
Boehm
New

Germany

Hello, I also want to use the external "Rode video micpro".
The recording ist not usable for me because of the highpitch sound.
This has nothing to do from the Gimbal itself because itsthe same bad noise with an Extension cable.
The Mic works great on my canon dslr and other mics have thesame problem with my osmo.
I have found a video on youtube where you can hear theproblem:
Is there any solution?
Sorry for my bad englisch
Thank you!
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Boehm Posted at 2015-12-23 20:36
Hello, I also want to use the external "Rode video micpro".The recording ist not usable for me becau ...

Would you please send the original files in the SD card here? You can upload it to Dropbox or other platform. We would like to analyze the original files. Thanks.
2015-12-23
Use props
AndyY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14537 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problems rendering  the Osmo pretty useless. I have now tried five different microphones, the only one which doesn't have a problem is my Boya wireless mics but the other shotguns all exhibit the same problem. The squealing is inaudible to me (as an old git) but to younger ears it's a deafening squeal which drowns out all other audio, carrying out other audio tests indicate it's in the 12-15 kilohertz range.

I know I have rights to contact the retailer but it isn't their fault and I can't be doing with return/replacement with the risk of facing repeated disappointment when it's a manufacturer issue. Aside from the comment above saying their would be a firmware update (When?!) there doesn't seem to much acknowledgement or ownership of the problem with specific resolution measures.

DJI are on the point of losing a customer.
2015-12-24
Use props
Boehm
New

Germany

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-24 05:14
Would you please send the original files in the SD card here? You can upload it to Dropbox or othe ...

Of course no problem.
I've uploaded the file to Dropbox.

Important is that you have to download the file and not to look at the preview at dropbox!
The low quality preview at dropbox seems to cancel high frequences.

i have testet 3 mics but every time with the same result.

The sound quality from the external port from the osmo is as good as from my dslr but with that bad noise.

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtur5podv1858f5/DJI_0002.MP4?dl=0
2015-12-24
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Boehm Posted at 2015-12-25 00:05
Of course no problem.
I've uploaded the file to Dropbox.

Hi, what mic have you tested? Did you test the three mic at the same time in this video you've uploaded? Please try to test it one by one and split the video for each mic testing. The mic might grab some noise from the fan, try to keep it away from the Osmo when you're testing it.  Also, please try to insert the mic before you start to record and pull off the mic after you've stop recording. Please don't change the mic during the recording process.
2015-12-24
Use props
Boehm
New

Germany

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-25 07:57
Hi, what mic have you tested? Did you test the three mic at the same time in this video you've uplo ...

Hi, my primary mic is the "RODE VideoMic Pro"
No, i testet every mic once by once (in the video you hear the RODE VideoMic Pro)

Now i have tested it as you want it.

In the first video (now 1080p because of file size) you hear the onborad microfone with the normal fan noise:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/466e1x ... 0Microfone.MP4?dl=0

In the second video you hear the "RODE VideoMic Pro" with a 5 meter extension cable in another room to ensure to collect no fan noise:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ce0hl ... 0Mic%20Pro.MP4?dl=0

The RODE VideoMic Pro was inserted to the Osmo before i start recording!
I have the same result with the other microfones.

Pls remember to download the file and don,t use the Dropbox preview!
2015-12-25
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Boehm Posted at 2015-12-25 20:52
Hi, my primary mic is the "RODE VideoMic Pro"
No, i testet every mic once by once (in the video you ...

Thanks Boehm, I will give you feedback once we've analyzed your files.
2015-12-28
Use props
Boehm
New

Germany

Hello,
today i have seen that there is a new firmware version released.
http://www.dji.com/de/product/osmo/info#downloads

OSMO Firmware v1.4.1.80
2015-12-27

After i upgraded to the new Firmware the high pitched noise is away and i have a clear sound record!

Thanks DJI for solving this Problem, now the Osmo works fine for me.

Also the mic level indicator in the DJI App works now!
Thanks

Best regards
Tim Böhm
2015-12-28
Use props
AndyY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14537 ft
United Kingdom

Boehm Posted at 2015-12-28 12:57
Hello,
today i have seen that there is a new firmware version released.
http://www.dji.com/de/produc ...

Thanks very much for this Tim; the updated firmware didn't show up on the English version of the site.

I've installed it and it does seem to have been resolved but I find it a bit disappointing that it's a user having to pass useful information on rather than DJM staff, there should have been a notification email that an update was available and why rather than junk email about top 10 vids or other inconsequential matters.

It came in the nick of time otherwise it would have been on its way back to the retailer tomorrow when they've opened after the holiday.

It would nice if DJI could give me back the hours wasted on this issue over the last 10 days!
2015-12-28
Use props
djiuser_krcCXYHBcBsB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2566230 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hi all, I have the same problem with Osmo Action 4 and DJI Wireless Mic 1, tons of videos messed up with high pitch noise audio...
2-17 03:19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules