DJI New Pilot Workshop
3002 19 2015-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thebiomed.yahoo
lvl.3
Canada

Hey Friends,

I just attended the new pilot workshop in Toronto, Canada this morning. Very informative.
Cheers!
2015-11-12
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-12
Use props
thebiomed.yahoo
lvl.3
Canada

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-12 14:12
Are you going to share any of the info your learned?

The session was a presentation and overview of all of the DJI products, with emphasis on the Phantom 3. It was geared toward beginners..those who have never flown a drone, let alone a phantom.

At the end, everyone had the opportunity to fly a P3P indoors. This was impressive, as it showcased how stable the P3 is using the ultrasonic positioning system.

I'm buying mine tomorrow! Exciting!
2015-11-12
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-12
Use props
cecorcoran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1339157 ft
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-11-13 05:03
Congratulations. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer with a decent return policy should you  ...

I bought my Phantom 3 Pro form B&H Photo. I had a problem within the 1st month and they sent a new unit to me and it's worked fine ever since. Really awesome company.
2015-11-12
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

thebiomed.yahoo Posted at 2015-11-12 12:14
The session was a presentation and overview of all of the DJI products, with emphasis on the Phant ...

Welcome to the club!
2015-11-12
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-11-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, the @DJI First Pilot Experience/s are a joy to behold. Hehehe
They sold me, I ordered my Phantom 3 Pro' the same day. ;-)
It's been fun since day one of its ownership.

Enjoy your drone, and the Forum.

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-12
Use props
Ispy
New

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-12 18:45
Yes, the @DJI First Pilot Experience/s are a joy to behold. Hehehe
They sold me, I ordered my Phanto ...

I am strongly thinking about getting a "3" as well.  How hard are they for a beginner to fly?   I have never flown a drone.  DO I need to buy a cheap drone to practice on?
What spare parts should I get, besides an extra battery?
WHat is the route to get it repaired if (when) I break it?
2015-11-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, very easy, probably a bit too easy to fly. And that can lead to overconfidence.
There are many small inexpensive quad copters and heli's for ultimate practice. Visit a hobby shop and see what appeals to you.
Yes, But also, if you use an Apple iOS device, the app contains a basic flight SIM, which can be very beneficial to you. I use a www.realflight.com sim.
Don't project crashing as a goal. Just don't break it. Repairs are then minimal. ;-) And it depends where you live, for repairs or service, generally they are sent to California or China.
Yes, an extra battery would be a great addition to the kit. A few extra rotor blade sets might also come in handy.
I would never recommend rotor blade guards, not even for a first time flyer. They are more trouble than they're worth.

Go out to an open area away from obstructions to practice your first baby steps of flight.

RedHotPoker
2015-11-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Ispy Posted at 2015-11-12 19:02
I am strongly thinking about getting a "3" as well.  How hard are they for a beginner to fly?   I  ...

I used to say no - learn right away using your Phantom. However...

If you learn to fly on a really cheap quad, you will actually learn a lot more dexterity than you're likely to need with your Phantom, but it's a great learning experience. There are a number of small quads for well under $100 USD you can buy to practice with.

When you buy your first cheap quad to practice, snoop on Youtube for advice about to learn to fly. A lot of them may prove helpful.

When you do get to the point where you feel more safe flying your new Phantom, prepare to really enjoy the experience. The Phantom probably flies better than anything on the market in the same price range. You should find it comparable to learning in a jeep, then driving a Mercedes.
2015-11-13
Use props
Ispy
New

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-11-13 02:59
Yes, very easy, probably a bit too easy to fly. And that can lead to overconfidence.
There are many  ...

Great response, thanks.
A couple more questions:
I am not terribly computer literate, and I have limited internet access in my rural area.  I do not have a suitable device to use with the controls, so I will have to buy one.
I could use a recommendation as to which tablet to buy  (it will be dedicated to this task)
Is the limited internet a handicap?
2015-11-13
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

thebiomed.yahoo Posted at 2015-11-12 15:14
The session was a presentation and overview of all of the DJI products, with emphasis on the Phant ...

Congratulations!

I'm attending a free photography/drone session @ Henry's tonight.

DJI and 3DR.

If yours was not the same, come and learn some more. I signed up on their website.

Cheers.
2015-11-13
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

thebiomed.yahoo Posted at 2015-11-12 15:14

You have been bitten   Enjoy and go slow. You may be a bit overwhelmed by the GO Program. However, it is very easy to use and there is a ton of data in front of you but the basics are simple to use and the rest is icing on the cake.  May I suggest using a Tablet, it is your best experience. Any questions you can always chime in here and you will find help and suggestions.
Again enjoy your new hobby
2015-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ispy Posted at 2015-11-13 04:40
Great response, thanks.
A couple more questions:
I am not terribly computer literate, and I have l ...

I have been using an Apple iPad Air 2 Cellular. It's the very best device, that works all of the time. I have never had any of the problems , or concerns with mine, that various other devices have suffered.
You can read up on them when you have time.
You only need the web for updates and reading the forum, or watching your YouTube vids. . .

RedHotPoker
2015-11-13
Use props
thebiomed.yahoo
lvl.3
Canada

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-11-13 06:15

If you learn to fly on a reall ...

I completely agree with this train of thought. I have been learning how to fly on a Hubsan X4 over the past 6 months. It was very inexpensive, and it helped me determine if this was a hobby I would enjoy and also learn how to fly "manually". It's incredible how chasing my kids around the house has helped improve my handling of a quad.

Te drawback to the smaller quads IMO is that once you get the quad trimmed out, you have only a few minutes of battery left. Ultimately, I just flew it around without trimming the drift....in hindsight, that may have even helped improve my handing skills! HA!

Cheers!

2015-11-13
Use props
Ispy
New

Canada

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-11-13 06:15

If you learn to fly on a reall ...

THanks for the response.  I don't have a Mercedes, but I do have a Willy's M38A1 and a Volvo, so I get your point...   
2015-11-13
Use props
anthonyshettell
New

Is there going to be 1 in alberta?
2016-6-7
Use props
user4c48f5d47f
New

I bought a Samsung tab 7a for $149 it is all I need to fly my p3a.only time you need internet is upgrades really.or when using the free online editing tools
2016-6-17
Use props
alessandro.lati
New

Italy

Happy New year
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules