My experiences with the Phantom 2/3
872 3 2015-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jennings93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

For the kind of aerial video/photography I do, I need to be able to see and fly reasonable distances ie, 2-3km away from myself, at altitudes between 50 to 250m. I used to fly in ultra lights and helicopters but they are expensive, vibrate badly and harder to position exactly where you want them.
Since using the Phantom2 and Phantom 3 I have had much greater success in getting the shots I want. Since the recent updates and switching from Android Nexus 7/Samsung Tab S to IOS Apple Airpad 2 I have had few "incidents", over 70 flights. Only one temporary loss of vision and one compass calibration issue.
I would like DJI to implement a "smooth flying" mode that could be accessed by a button/switch similar to the Yunneeq 500+. Had considered that unit but its limited range is a problem for the work I do.
I know you can tweek the gain and other settings but a quick button push would be very useful.
Generally speaking the Phantoms I have do a great job but nothing is "fool proof" and you always have to prepare for the worst. I currently have one Phantom 3 Pro away for repair as it flew ok but developed a slight wobble/wriggle when hovering and no calibration etc would fix it. I'll let you know of my repair experience when I get it back.
I suppose object avoidance systems will be on the next generation of drones. A rear facing camera as well as front facing would be very useful when in tight places. It would only need to be a low res unit for monitoring.

2015-11-12
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-11-12
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Thanks for your suggestions . Your ideas are brilliant . I believe we'll make great improvements to meet you guys' needs .
2015-11-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-11-12 18:41
Thanks for feedback. You have just confirmed to me that the Yuneec is ideal for people who just want ...

Agree, agree, agree!

Own both a Chroma (a Yuneeq under a Blade label) and a Phantom (and some others, including an old Blade 350 and some smaller quads (non-camera carrying).

I've sort of gotten in the habit of "trying out" the video I want using the Chroma. When I feel comfortable that I can get the kind of shot(s) I really want, then I do the actual shoot with the Phantom. While the Chroma is easier to fly and easier to control, the camera is pretty simplistic. You can correct for some things during the editing process, but the bottom line is that the Phantom camera is superior to any other camera-carrying-quad I own.

The Chroma has a lever that chooses between "rabbit" and "turtle." You really, truly have a "fine-tune" capability in the "turtle" mode. Both forward speed, yaw and ascent/descent are all affected by that speed control.

It would be nice to have a similar speed control on my Phantom. It is much more difficult to make the Phantom proceed slowly.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules