Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 Focus problem ?
8042 21 2015-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nilsblix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I am confident that the videos from the X5 is going to be very nice - ( have already seen some nice one from professionals). The first videos from the X3 was also a bit so so.
Now to the point ;
I am struggling with focusing my X5 videos - I think I have calibrated the DJI lens ok ( but not sure ). The problem is when trying to set the focus to infinity on the iPad Air 2 screen - it will not move further than to 5m. I have to hold the C1 and use the gimbal wheel to get it to 20 m and infinity. And even if I then can set the focus to infinity my videos seems a bit unfocused. Sounds this familiar to others ?
My videos are starting to get better - but still have problems with unsharp/out of focus shooting.
Shoots in LOG ( 0, -2,-2 )  - 4K 24fps - try to stay at shutterspeed 1/50 and have my fstop in the middle range

2015-11-13
Use props
SkyOptics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286637 ft
United Kingdom

What I have found using the Leica 15mm is that if you use the C1 and focus wheel, you can go past the infinity focus point and it's soft. If you calibrate the lens properly and then use the infinity button on the manual focus display that appears next to the normal camera buttons on the GO app, it is much more consistent.
2015-11-13
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

SkyOptics Posted at 2015-11-13 18:02
What I have found using the Leica 15mm is that if you use the C1 and focus wheel, you can go past th ...

Thank you for your response.
When I try to use the Infinity button it shows focus at 5 m

Maybe that this show that I have not calibrated well enough ?
2015-11-13
Use props
davidabdel
lvl.1

Australia

I am having the same issue - I am using Leica Lens 15mm - In the picture mode I ave perfect focus, yet in video mode the focus is soft.
I have calibrated many times, yet it has not fixed the issue.

Some things I have noticed - When in camera mode, I go to the settings to calibrate, when I select calibrate the DJI Go app automatically switches to video mode.
When I switch on the focus peak color (I have attached the pictures) you can see much more is in focus in picture mode, but when I switch to video mode much of the peak color is gone.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed? ... key=ABF_29ywlQSvKOY

I then connected the RC to my Ninja Blade to get a clearer picture - once again notice in picture mode how sharp the focus is ( notice the trees and power lines...) yet in video mode these are not clear...
https://onedrive.live.com/redir? ... ;ithint=photo%2cjpg

For the price of the X5, im sure that calibration is really not needed!! :@ Come on DJI, please update the firmware so that either the calibration is much, much simpler or that its already built in ready to go!!

Any idea's on how to fix this issue for now, I have spent well over 4 hours trying to calibrate trying to focus on high contrast items greater than 50m away on various objects with no success....

Thanks
2015-12-30
Use props
johnrae
lvl.1
United States

Having the same problem- in video and stills.  Cannot get the lens to focus at anything beyond 20m. Focus wheel will not go by 20m- and in fact shows 20m on the wheel after calibration. Have all the updated firmware.  Have dumped and reloaded DJI Go software.  Have calibrated in bright sunlight at object over 50m away 10-15 times.  One thing I noticed is if I go to tools and then calibration if I press the 'remind me later' option the infinity symbol reappears on my focus wheel- though I still cannot focus on infinity because the camera is now not calibrated.

Help
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnrae Posted at 2016-1-8 02:44
Having the same problem- in video and stills.  Cannot get the lens to focus at anything beyond 20m.  ...

John,
You were taken care of yesterday correct?
2016-1-8
Use props
AerialShots
lvl.1

Australia

Focus issues - Partly resolved

I came accross a post of someone saying that the issue is with D-Log video mode.
So today I have taken the DJI GO app out of the D-log mode and just used the standard mode. Also it was mentioned to set the ISO above 200 as 100 results in artifacts being introduced into the video.
When I tried this, the video's are coming out great, sharp focus just like the still pictures. The only thing is that im now limited to colour grading post flight but I can live with that for now, hopefully this will be fixed in a future update.
2016-1-9
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

AerialShots Posted at 2016-1-10 07:22
Focus issues - Partly resolved

I came accross a post of someone saying that the issue is with D-Log ...

D- Log mode has an issue - this issue is reported to DJI HQ and hopefully it will be a fix. I also for now shoot in 4K standard mode. I have a Olympus 12 mm lens so I can work around the focus problem by setting the focus to manual and infinity on the lens itself.
2016-1-9
Use props
johnrae
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-9 06:08
John,
You were taken care of yesterday correct?

Yes and no.  Found DJI California response to problem of x5 focus to be prompt and attentive, but uninformed.  In fact, with the info they had they were great.  The problem is that they do not have any understanding of this problem.  They replaced the x5 camera.  Turns out that the software was the primary problem.  Somehow I had found myself in a position with the software that would not allow me to focus beyond 20m.  In fact the focus wheel (on manual focus) showed max focus distance of 20m.  No matter how many times I re-calibrated the camera- or dumped the DJI Go software and reset my iPad to factory settings I got the same result.  When the new camera came I got the same results.  WORK AROUND:  I purged my iPad back to factory settings.  I initiated a new gMail account. I started a new iTunes account.  When I reloaded a fresh copy of the DJI Go software the problem went away.  Turns out that our friends at Apple (in order to save me from myself) save all my downloads from my iTune account INCLUDING THEIR SETTINGS in the iCloud.  Consequently, every time I was purging my iPad and the DJI Go app- I was not clearing the settings and the corrupted file was being re-downloaded. So now I can focus on infinity by only as an alias of myself.

This software problem needs to be addressed.  And the camera is not that sharp even after the software problem has been addressed.  So you all also have a hardware problem.  That being said you do still have the best product on the market- let's make it better.

See Ticket #242321 for photos of problems
2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnrae Posted at 2016-1-11 00:06
Yes and no.  Found DJI California response to problem of x5 focus to be prompt and attentive, but  ...

Thanks John,
I put these notes in the ticket and I'll get together with the camera techs in the morning with your data.
2016-1-10
Use props
AirBingus1
New

United States

I have the same focusing problem. One thing that I've noticed is that it's only in the dlog and cine profile. When I shoot standard the focus is perfect.  Also, with the new firmware update I noticed that the shadows are quite noisy, even at 100 ISO. Anyone else have that problem?
2016-1-10
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm struggling with focus as well with my X5.  I have the Panasonic Lumix 15mm lens.  I can't figure out how to get the calibration menu to appear under the "Tool" menu.   I did it once and I can't get the menu back to recalibrate.  I'm using an iPad Air 2, I have the lens switched to AF mode, but I also noticed that I don't have the option to on the iPad to switch between AF/MF just _ _/_ _ shows up where it once said AF/MF.  I dug around in the X5 manual and I can't find anything related to calibrating the lens, settings, etc.  Like I said, I managed to attempt calibrating once but can't get the menu back to try again.  I'm hoping I just missed something in my settings.  Any suggestions??  Thanks everyone.
2016-1-17
Use props
intheairimages
lvl.2
Flight distance : 801099 ft
United Kingdom

AirBingus1 Posted at 2016-1-11 01:06
I have the same focusing problem. One thing that I've noticed is that it's only in the dlog and cine ...

I've just upgraded to the Pro and was very surprised to see noise in shadows when in DLOG, actually I was very disappointed to see noise at ISO 100! With the kit lens on I have no focus issues, but I am thinking about getting the Olympus 12mm. I'm wondering if I will encounter problems then?
2016-2-18
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

Shoot in ISO 200. ISO 100 is still broken.
So the LOG profile
The gimbal with drifting problems
etc.
etc.
etc.

@DJI
When do you fix this?? We're waiting for months now!
2016-2-19
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check the Post X5 red lines explained. Your answer may be there? The Gentleman enters manual focus and brings the lens to infinity. I may not understand your issue properly.
2016-2-19
Use props
stefan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43412 ft
Australia

I am also having focusing issues with the X5R using the DJ lens. Seems ok in video, but stills way out, close-up or infinity using AF, better results using manual focus but the image on the iPad doesn't look that sharp at all so it's a matter of getting it to look 'sharpest' which isn't a great way to work, will have to try focus peaking I guess but thats not going to solve the AF problem, just doesn't seem to lock onto anything ...
2016-5-2
Use props
Criscoly
New
Flight distance : 526519 ft
United States

If only there was focus peaking! I'm still having more and more issues with the X5. Single biggest is not being able to focus easily or clearly but on top of that so many firmware/software issues in the app. MF/AF assist doesn't work (worked once) over exposure warning stopped showing up as of my last 2 flights (it's turned on). The sensor still freaks out in shadows and more recently will completely artifact and digitally break up in sunlight or certain colors (a red t-shirt) when shoot in D-LOG. I need to run more tests outside of d-log because that's probably the problem, pushing the sensor to far to achieve their promised dynamic range when it's just not capable. Focusing sucks. Auto and manual.
2016-5-27
Use props
kwaw3104
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142234 ft
Singapore

Heres how i get round the problem for now....i use an external monitor smallhd ac7 oled piped out via hdmi ( deactivate screen UI) on the lightbridge, with focus peaking on and mount this on a tripod. This way i can monitor my focus and composition. My ipad serves to just chnage of function and adjust focus.
2016-5-27
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I was having all of these problems then.... After thinking about it for several weeks, I took thre plunge!!
I downgraded the firmware on my x5 camera back to Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.4.0.70 and boy am I glad I did!!

•Auto focus has returned.
•Focus assistant has returned.
•Gimbal drift is gone.
•Odd ISO readings gone.

Once again I can get great images.

Only thing I have to tolerate is notice that FW needs upgrading.
That's easier to live with than Inspire 1 Pro Firmware v1.8.1.00 was...............
2016-5-27
Use props
dronefilms
New

Colombia

Aeromirage means, down to 1.4'll have no camera to derive and better approach?
2016-8-6
Use props
Gravija
New

Colombia

Hello, i just got the Osmo pro Combo 2k, with the x5....first DJI item ever, i already did the firmware update 1.3.0.40, i hope im doing smt wrong, cuz i cant believe  you dont get auto focus here? not even in the minimal level of hardware? i have to press screen all the time recording a video to get focus?, also videos are not really sharps for being a 4k resolution (4k/24fps/shut 1/50  and f variable), how come i check some reviews online and they show face tracking, panorama, time lapse and i dont have those in the DJI go app?? is this a joke? for the 2k item? if any one can help me maybe im doing smt wrong here or not using the right firmware, would be much appreciate, if im right on this, i recommend dont buy this item. i got a Samsung galaxy s6 edge plus and videos and photos are better  than this =(.
2016-11-14
Use props
Marc Salama
lvl.1
France

Hi, i'm an osmo pro (X5) owner, who bought it after trying the X3 which autofocus pretty well. I have been pretty much deceived by the Dji Go app with X5, Big auto focus problem... There's none ! i had to tap the screen continually to set the focus. Bad news when you want to move the caméra isn't it ? As a tech journalist in France for Sonovision/Mediakwest, online and paper magazine for professionnals, I am going to have report this bad news, knowing that the cheapest osmo works much better than the Osmo Pro (3 times the price) ! And I am going to send my model back to Dji, if i don't have a good news quickly before the spring big gathering in paris of camera professionals.
2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules