One motor stopped
1829 12 2014-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
porschett
lvl.2

United States

On a take-off, the Phantom 2 tipped and the props hit the grass, no biggie, I thought. On the next power up, I got a small amount of smoke out of the one leg. The prop tried to turn, then stopped. Any ideas if this is the motor only or could the board have gone too?

It's only a month old, so would it be covered or is it best just to fix myself.? Best place to buy the part (s)?

Thanks in advance
2014-12-23
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

Sorry to hear that. I believe replacement motors are available.  This event is the very reason I keep my prop guards on.  I have had several tips with blades running and the guards save this issue. I have flown a lot and there is a lot of nonsense talked about prop guards being for beginners-I am a pro videographer and I prefer protecting my investment and protecting anyone that my bird might fly into.
2014-12-23
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Relatively easy to replace depending on your skill set -- how's your soldering?  Review a few videos on YouTube about replacing Phantom motor and ESC.  Cost would be about $40 for both.

Best place?  Depends where you live, ideally a corner hobby store that carries DJI stuff.  Amazon, eBay or bazillions of online stores if nothing local.  Here's one.
2014-12-23
Use props
hcoduarte
lvl.1

Portugal

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-12-24 06:18
Sorry to hear that. I believe replacement motors are available.  This event is the very reason I kee ...

@rod what kind of case/backpack do you use with the props on. I like the props but one can't always be putting them on and removing them
2014-12-23
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

If the board has gone the other motors want spin up. Strange a minor flip burnt out the motor.
2014-12-23
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

hcoduarte Posted at 2014-12-24 06:32
@rod what kind of case/backpack do you use with the props on. I like the props but one can't alway ...

B&H # HPHPRCDROLG  available at B&H.  I have posted pics in a previous thread.  This case is brilliant and takes fully guarded bird with props. Has storage for controller , spare batts and charger.  There are even pockets for a manual! The maker is  HPRC- it is Italian and there are good deals to be had.
2014-12-23
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

hcoduarte Posted at 2014-12-24 06:32
@rod what kind of case/backpack do you use with the props on. I like the props but one can't alway ...

Hacking my thread?
2014-12-23
Use props
cjordan
New

United States

This just happened to me too. 3 motors spin fine, the 4th tries to spin, but just moves both directions a little bit.

Any idea of solutions? Is replace motor only option?
2014-12-24
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

From what I've gathered, it's the ESC board, not the motor.
2014-12-24
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

It is more likely to be the ESC (electronic speed controller) than the motor, you can buy them at most dealers like This

The phantom brushless motors either work or they don't , if you can spin it by hand and it feels the same as the others then I would try the ESC first.
2014-12-24
Use props
rod
lvl.4

New Zealand

No need to get precious about it, we are all here to help-
2014-12-24
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

Pulled it apart today, it's the ESC board-FRIED!! Both chips under the red wire.
Board.jpg
2014-12-25
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

China

If you want to buy the part you can contact the Support Center to get it.
2014-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules