Running with the Osmo
2768 11 2015-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrNick
lvl.1

United States

I'm still learning the hang of my Osmo, but thought I'd try running full speed with it to see if it was as stable as in the promo video.  Judge for yourself - this is the unadulterated video from the camera shot at the "almost 4k resoultion" (full 4k crashes it) at 24fps:

2015-11-16
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

The stability is quite good. The movement of the yaw is a little abrupt, you can try different gimbal setting~Lovely girl, by the way.
2015-11-16
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I can't even walk slowly with mine and get anything better than I could with a non-stabilised camera!
2015-11-16
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Singapore

I get very similar results. Motoscoddie for the running video.

Why not try this;

First, hold the Osmo and place the base flat on the table.

Second, Fire up the app and do the Gimbal calibration.

Third, try this custom gimbal settings. I have NO IDEA what they do but my Osmo was shipped in this settings and it appears to work fine

Last, give it a spin

Gimbal Settings

Gimbal Settings
2015-11-17
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

That's steady but to improve you could disable the SmoothTrack pan settings via C1 gimbal settings, and just use joystick or double-trigger to maintain forward direction. This eliminates odd panning motion making the footage even better.

Depends what your subject is doing I suppose, but I've locked both pan and tilt smoothtrack in C1, and slowed the joystick pan down to speed 28, smoothing 17; and for tilt I have speed 16, smoothing 12. I find this a good way to shoot with the Osmo when tilting is rarely needed.
2015-11-17
Use props
MrNick
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-16 19:22
The stability is quite good. The movement of the yaw is a little abrupt, you can try different gimba ...

The yaw has everything to do with me making abrupt course corrections - given what I'm chasing after, I'm pleased that she never fell out of frame.  Now if I could only get her to take direction ;)
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

sdchew Posted at 2015-11-17 17:03
I get very similar results. Motoscoddie for the running video.

Why not try this;

You can check all the setting meanings in our user manual, here is the link:
http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/download
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

ke-now Posted at 2015-11-17 18:05
That's steady but to improve you could disable the SmoothTrack pan settings via C1 gimbal settings,  ...

Different setting can be applied to  different situation. Check the setting meaning in user manual here:
http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/download
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

MrNick Posted at 2015-11-19 11:04
The yaw has everything to do with me making abrupt course corrections - given what I'm chasing aft ...

More practice and different setting attempt, your work will be better and better.
2015-11-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice, looks like she got you tired out pretty quickly

Rich
2015-11-18
Use props
MrNick
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-11-18 21:24
Nice, looks like she got you tired out pretty quickly

Rich

Yeah, seriously!  At the end of the clip I'm huffing and puffing away.  Luckily I think the nat sound covered me gasping for breath.  Next time I need to do some cardio before attempting to chase after my child.
2015-11-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrNick Posted at 2015-11-19 11:49
Yeah, seriously!  At the end of the clip I'm huffing and puffing away.  Luckily I think the nat so ...

Totally funny.... or have your wife do the running next time. I actually think this this video turned out great. I hope to do some things with mine if the weather would cooperate.  My kids are 31 now and waiting for gran kids

Thanks again

Rich
2015-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules