FREAKED OUT.....
1196 20 2015-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cracker
New

United States

This afternoon I did a video for a friend of mine. I didn't use but 50% of the power in the battery, so, when I got home, I went to fly it. The battery level was at 55%. I flew it about 60 ft. away and the battery went from 51% to critical low. I watched it descending, I pressed the RTH button, nothing. Is anyone else had this happen?. It seems everytime I get it back from repairs, something new goes wrong. It may be the black cloud that follows me. I risked life and broken bones, but I retrieved it from the tree.  
2015-11-17
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Cracker

is all over the forum that you should not fly if not with a fully charged battery.

spend some quality time reading the forum.
Some good chaps here
2015-11-17
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

As Linolens says: this is well known behaviour. Fully charged battery or no-fly.
2015-11-17
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

While I agree with Linolens and Simple Panda, I have seen many people mention that if you started with a fully charged battery and used it for two flights, that it should be OK, just not on different days.

I might do that if my second flight was started at or above 65%, but I would also keep it really close and easily retrievable.

2015-11-17
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,Cracker
Watch out your battery capacity before flight . And confirm that your aircraft is on Flysafe status when you try the RTH .
2015-11-17
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I've been flying for 2 months now. I learned after having 1 incident to never fly without 100% charge. I was lucky and was able to get her back before she crashed. But NEVER, NEVER, never.... fly without 100%. To be honest I don't understand why the batteries drain so fast and why is it that you can't. But if you take flight at 55% or even 74% you are looking for trouble!  I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and wish you the very best in getting things worked out.
One other thing I learned. Is not to use return home. In fact I have never used return home or auto take off. I'd rather pilot my inspire and take my changes of something going wrong. I plan to post questions on the forum later about return home and auto take off.

Did you have damage to your inspire? Inspiring minds want to know!
2015-11-17
Use props
dgmultimedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 216526 ft
United Kingdom

Why did you just "watch it" descend - even at critical warning you can at least hold altitude and fly back to some where safe to land - you just can't climb - when this has happened to me I always have a plan in my mind as to a de ending flight path back to an open area...   
You will have to push the power stick about 25% higher to maintain altitude but it's all still functioning...
The power indicator on the App takes about 45sec of hovering flight to assess the remaining battery level so if you take off with a part used battery pack don't expect to be able to fly very far away.
I regularly re-fly used packs at a few feet altitude monitoring the Battery page until any cell has reached 3.1V ( while hovering) - this is a safe minimum level under load and the cells will recover to around 3.4v each when landed - if any remain at 3.1 or lower its time to retire that pack....
2015-11-18
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Only one thing to say over and over again. Its in the manual...Read It!!
2015-11-18
Use props
Cracker
New

United States

Linolens Posted at 2015-11-17 19:01
Cracker

is all over the forum that you should not fly if not with a fully charged battery.

You're right, and except for that one time I never do, but, my concern was the major drop in charge. Whats to say it wouldn't do that while flying on full charge, and somewhere that if it did I'd lose the aircraft?.
2015-11-18
Use props
Cracker
New

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-11-18 01:11
I've been flying for 2 months now. I learned after having 1 incident to never fly without 100% charg ...

For sure, except for that instance, I always manually fly. I'm just concerned that on a full charge it decides to dump the charge again, and at a location where I'd lose it.
2015-11-18
Use props
Cracker
New

United States

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-11-18 08:43
Only one thing to say over and over again. Its in the manual...Read It!!

I've read it, you must understand my concern.
2015-11-18
Use props
Cracker
New

United States

dgmultimedia@me Posted at 2015-11-18 03:40
Why did you just "watch it" descend - even at critical warning you can at least hold altitude and fl ...

It was showing 0% pwr. it wouldn't take my commands, that's the first thing I tried.
2015-11-18
Use props
Cracker
New

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-11-18 01:11
I've been flying for 2 months now. I learned after having 1 incident to never fly without 100% charg ...

No, thank God. I just flew, and tested it. Alls well.
2015-11-18
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Like others are saying,you should always take off with a 100% full battery,
some get away with a second take off others dont, Dji recommend full battery with every take off.
As regards not using auto take off and RTH, I use them both,
I have been flying 10mths with over 250 flights with the Inspire and have used auto takeoff for nearly all of these and no probs.
2015-11-18
Use props
Cracker
New

United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-11-18 17:07
Like others are saying,you should always take off with a 100% full battery,
some get away with a se ...

It's not experience that concerns me, as I have over 260 hrs. it's if it dumped all remaining voltage on it's own, what will keep it from doing it again, when it's not close and I can't retrieve it?.
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

as all folks above already mentioned, flying with full charged batteries is important, especially in a cold weather
2015-11-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Cracker Posted at 2015-11-18 13:02
You're right, and except for that one time I never do, but, my concern was the major drop in charg ...

It should not do it again if you are on a full charge.
2015-11-18
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cracker Posted at 2015-11-19 01:22
It's not experience that concerns me, as I have over 260 hrs. it's if it dumped all remaining volt ...

Discharge after every 10 charges to re sync the battery so it knows its different levels of power, my method is after flying with the 10x charged battery, I will leave the Inspire turned on, on the ground or inside the house until it stops itself due to completely drained battery(3.3volts), then recharge back up to 100%, I am usually flying within the next couple of days, if not flying within a coupe of days I would charge up to the 3 green light level on battery (approx 60%). All of this is what Dji recommend.
There is other discharge methods out there and on this site if you search,,
Other than this, all any of us can do is maybe stick a parachute and a tracker on our bird,, lol
Hope this helps
2015-11-19
Use props
JapanDave
lvl.2
Japan

Why is everyone putting the blame on the OP? There is a glaring problem here, no battery should go from a 55% charge to 0%. There is something wrong here and DJI need to get their act together and fix it. That is it.
2015-11-19
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Cracker Posted at 2015-11-19 05:08
I've read it, you must understand my concern.

@ Cracker - You are fine we all make mistakes. Screw the manual in some cases and learn from everyone here who has crashed and for those that are amazing pilots. Some always want to rush to state "Read the Manual" but the manual doesn't tell you not to take flight if you have a battery that has sit for 3 days and now at 70% and taking flight will result in crash or near crash.
2015-11-19
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I also agree with JapanDave the battery SHOULD NOT DROP CHARGE from 75%-70%-50% within seconds of take off causing issues such as crash. This is not in the manual and is a problem that needs to be addressed. I know not to do this but a rookie fresh out of the box doesn't. So I agree with you JapanDave!
2015-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules