Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
TOP 10 common pilot errors
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Pilot skills:
practice following a line or something on the ground in visual mode and also try FPV. Do oval flights in both directions, after flying up high to practice try flights as close to the ground as you are comfortable, nose in around yourself, nose out around yourself, circle nose in on a tree, lots of camera manipulation both still and video. I try to exercise all the elements of the DJI Pilot App Now called the Go App: using the map, camera controls, etc. One of the biggest is using the map and the FPV aspect to get a better handle on spacial relationships on how far you are and how close you are to an object using the FPV and Map. Hope that helps.
2015-12-3
Use props
markfrank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 100331 ft
France

Synthetic! good summary, well done.
Thanks
2015-12-9
Use props
coasteraddict
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for sharing these great tips!
2015-12-10
Use props
Aero Sky Produc
lvl.1

Czechia

One of the best good written and understandable advises list published! Very useful.

Thanks Tim
2015-12-10
Use props
con_ted
New

United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips I will be following the advice on my first flight when it stops raining here in the UK
2015-12-11
Use props
Jeubby
New

United States

Tim,

Thank you so much for the valuable in$ight.
The ounces of prevention are far better that the pounds... Of a cure!!!

Thank you again.
2015-12-12
Use props
Shefo`s
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8209 ft
Poland

I call it a MUST tips for every new starter, very important to consider before anybody first fly. Thaks Tim it`s for however very late for me
2015-12-15
Use props
kancur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 495144 ft
Slovakia

Also lot of newbie pilots forget how RTH works, when they lose video feed (they still have control signal), they press the RTH button - but instead of waiting for the aircraft to rise to the set RTH altitude, they move the throttle stick - and when you move the throttle stick during ascent - the phantom will stop ascending and cruise home at the current altitude.
2015-12-16
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Clear explanation Tim
2015-12-17
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Clear Tim
2015-12-17
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Clear Tim
2015-12-17
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Clear Tim
2015-12-17
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Clear Tim

Small remark: if the number one is: CSC in the mid-air (Combination Stick Command) why not make it a little more impossible to make this mistake  without delete this security measures.
(For example: change the delay of 1-2sec to 5sec to stop the engines - at least in mid-air)

Greetings to all
2015-12-17
Use props
devoh002
lvl.1

United States

Great job on providing this info. Just one thing: As an educational side, shouldn't we add those to the DJI manual in the back! or some location available to users when they unpack and before they start flying? Just a suggestion. Cheers! Thanks.
2015-12-17
Use props
robbi
lvl.2
Australia

A great read and although obvious, easy to take some of these for granted. Touch wood..never crashed as I fly super cautious and treat each flight as an aircraft job, not a toy flight..I imagine I am on board and want to get home each time.
2015-12-17
Use props
robbi
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-20 03:58
Here you go.

Common Pilot error #11.

Not just Eagles..many birds will strike, so know your local wildlife and particularly in mating and nesting season.Spunky bird..most likely upset he couldnt eat plastic
2015-12-17
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

NIce info !!!!  

how to avoid birds  jeje  ,   i like to fly in the forest but sometimes there is some birds ,   may be we can use prop guards or fly high  or
other solution  jej a just be lucky when you fly

2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

robbi@robbinewm Posted at 2015-12-17 21:28
Not just Eagles..many birds will strike, so know your local wildlife and particularly in mating and ...

Yes very true, I have seen Magpies attack and I have personally had Seagulls attack.

Dave
2015-12-19
Use props
brasax
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70574 ft
Germany

Many thanks! I'm a beginner and this is really helpful!
2015-12-20
Use props
renato.amaral
New

New Zealand

Unfortunately I've experienced the number 8 in my 4th day... And after that I lost the warrant of the gimbal that came with problem since day 1.  
900 NZD for a new gimbal.
2015-12-21
Use props
Phantom George
lvl.1

Australia

Thank you Tim. Excellent and simple to understand. Never had an issue with my P3, yet I have learned some point of your great explanations.
2015-12-21
Use props
fgonzales
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86880 ft
United States

Great advise. I wonder if you know if the inspire uses lubricant on the legs near the white tubs that look like small shocks. Reason I'm asking I saw what appear to be oil on one of my legs. I've clean it and watching to see if it appears again. Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards Fidel
2015-12-22
Use props
ronnyjb
New

United States

Great tips thanks. 2 & 3 are particularly useful
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for your support, guys!  Fly safe
2015-12-23
Use props
Ikary2008
lvl.1

Venezuela

It is normal to follow these rules for a safe flight, however, you should not underestimate the compatibility of Android / iOS and firmware problems, which as we know, lately are nothing reliable
2015-12-24
Use props
Cactulin
New
Flight distance : 968192 ft
Colombia

Awsome tips!
2015-12-24
Use props
mohdhafiz.my
New

Malaysia

Thanks to DJI-Tim
2015-12-24
Use props
tdcutchens
New

United States

I really appreciate the simple explanations.
2015-12-28
Use props
pboekhout
New

Canada

Thanks for all the tips. Did my first flight in beginner mode. I think I will be staying in this mode till i get used to all the functions.  BTW just turned 60 so this is a first for me.
2015-12-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

pboekhout Posted at 2015-12-29 00:39
Thanks for all the tips. Did my first flight in beginner mode. I think I will be staying in this mod ...

keep it slow, safety is most important! and have fun!
2015-12-28
Use props
XRCTOYS
New

United States

Thank you for Great Tips, I am not really sure if i understand 8.  Failsafe and gain the altitude ,  I am using P3S,  with Stock Settings if its fly low and it low battery and start to return to home its not going tochange altitude say to 250FT up and then return home or is there a way to set this up so it does that so it does not hit anything on the way home?

Thanks in advance.
2015-12-29
Use props
dhickey
New

United States

Tim;
Would it make sense to defeat the CSC command at altitude to prevent a certain crash? Maybe that could be addressed in a future Firmware upgrade? As going dead stick at altitude for a quad copter will only have one outcome...A sudden stop !

Thanks...
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

dhickey@sprintz Posted at 2015-12-31 05:12
Tim;
Would it make sense to defeat the CSC command at altitude to prevent a certain crash? Maybe tha ...

I'm not sure about it... we still have to have the emergency motors stop function.  And for many years people got used to CSC
2015-12-30
Use props
plastynasty
New

Sweden

It's possible to turn of engines by pulling left stick to bottom. Does that mean that it is possible to accidentally turn of the motors mid air if you try to go down very fast?
2015-12-31
Use props
silver89
New
Flight distance : 252034 ft

United Kingdom

Oops I've done #1 ... Having not flown for a while I brought the drone down to the floor and then to turn the propellers off tried to do the start-up combo as I'd forgotten it was just down, resulted in a tilt, a propeller hitting the floor and it flipping upside down... No damage at all that as it was on grass, replaced the blades and brushed up on the basics!
2016-1-2
Use props
wtchandl
New

United States

Thanks that helped !
2016-1-2
Use props
alstontodd
New

United States

This is a good read, I am a newbie so I'll be watching for Tim comments often.
2016-1-3
Use props
alstontodd
New

United States

Anyone know why I loose calibration in mid-flight? Sometimes its hard to get my DJI calibrated.  
2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

alstontodd Posted at 2016-1-4 00:25
Anyone know why I loose calibration in mid-flight? Sometimes its hard to get my DJI calibrated.

alstontodd
Are you talking about compass calibration or IMU calibration? If compass, please avoid metal constructions, cars, buildings and everything that can cause magnetic interference
2016-1-3
Use props
tarikciftci
New

United Kingdom

Useful information thanks Tim
2016-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules