TOP 10 common pilot errors
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phillbarnes9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40367 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Does this apply to pilots in SPAIN as well, seeing how we are left out of the BLACK FRIDAY list
2015-11-20
Use props
spectra71
lvl.2

Canada

re: birds: I believe it's the sonar they don't llike...
2015-11-20
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would some manoeuvres not accidentally involve CSC though? Surely CSC should be disabled as soon as the drone detects that it's in flight or above a certain height from the ground?
2015-11-20
Use props
DeDroneMeneer
lvl.1

Netherlands

CSC in the mid-air (Combination Stick Command) .. Or DJI programs the Phantom that if the drone is in the air (altitude meter) this can't be done. That sounds like a simple IF THEN statement right? I don't believe that it is actually possible to turn the aircraft off mid-air. Please fix this DJI!
2015-11-20
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I sort of understood the necessity for some sort of emergency shut down, but always thought CSC was a bit dangerous. As it is the number one mistake that pilots make, then I think DJI should seriously consider the emergency shut down procedure as others have mentioned - nobody wants a P3 plummeting out of the sky, whether it is due to pilot error or any other reason!
2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Personally I do not think this list is in order of frequency. I do not think CSC is the number one cause for new pilots crashing. Not at all. The CSC command is absolutely not a natural stick movement in any flight environment.

We are not going to fix it as some people have said. Because this is designed on purpose. It is an emergency in air shut down.
If you were flying and obeying all the rules and you're even flying under 400 feet that does not mean you could not pose a hazard to full-scale aircraft. There are times when fire rescue helicopters and police helicopters fly under 400 feet. And if you have one coming straight at you the fastest and best emergency action would be to shut down your motors.

2015-11-20
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If anyone is worried about doing a CSC mid-air, then you should definitely get my CSC Safety. I give them away for free. You only need to cover the cost of the shipping.
2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

adeluisa@telefo Posted at 2015-11-20 00:05
Thanks Tim.
Why DJI don´t change the csc stop motors procedure to one more improbable system becaus ...

The Phantom 1, Phantom 2, Phantom Vision, Phantom Vision+, and Phantom FC40 do not have the C1 and C2 buttons.
2015-11-20
Use props
adeluisa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8235 ft
Spain

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-21 00:11
The Phantom 1, Phantom 2, Phantom Vision, Phantom Vision+, and Phantom FC40 do not have the C1 and ...

Thanks for your answer Tim,
I proposed this only as an example. I have got the Phantom 3 and I don´t know all the phantom family particularities but insist  must be a more safe way to grant this procedure. I propose a simpler one that probably can be implemented in all phantom families, the same procedure with the joystick but add pushing shortly the power down RC button. What do you think?
2015-11-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

adeluisa@telefo Posted at 2015-11-20 16:17
Thanks for your answer Tim,
I proposed this only as an example. I have got the Phantom 3 and I don ...

No problem, I understand. I am Dave not Tim by the way.

Adding an extra button to the CSC could be a good idea, if it can easily be done. We can't make it so hard that you need 3 hands to do it.

Remember this ( CSC in flight ) is something that you would only do in an emergency. So you might be slightly panicked so the procedure can not be too difficult to do or to remember how to do.

But I am happy to bring up your suggestion with my boss.

Dave
2015-11-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Every month or so some new flyers get the idea that there is a problem with CSC.
It's always new flyers that get scared and imagine it's something that is going to happen to them accidentally.
But any experienced pilot can tell that it's not a problem at all and it's  not something that happens accidentally in normal flight at all.
btw .. although it is often discussed in forums, it's unlikely that anyone would ever use CSC as an emergency stop during flight.
CSC is much more often used as an emergency stop on the ground or up in a tree to stop the spinning blades on a crashed Phantom.
2015-11-21
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I think if you can't read a manual and learn what CSC is then you should not be flying a MR.

I also think if you can't handle a clutch and uphill starts you should not drive a motorcycle. And if you can't handle a bicycle w/o learning wheels, you should not leave your yard.

Come on, there is skill involved in flying MRs and it is the pilots duty to learn those skills.

Just my nickel.
2015-11-21
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

How can I cancel RTH when the battery is on a low level  on a phantom 2 ?
By switching the ATTI mode on the controller ?
2015-11-21
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-19 19:58
Here you go.

Common Pilot error #11.

Hillarious! - How that bird didn't loose a leg or something is amazing!
2015-11-22
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks Tim! Once again - a great post for compilation in our Flight folders
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-11-22 07:58
Hillarious! - How that bird didn't loose a leg or something is amazing!

Yeah I could hardly believe it when I first saw that video.

At first I thought it was just going to be your typical birdstrike, an attack then fly off, but then when I realize the bird was carrying off the Phantom and flying with the Phantom in his talons,.... my jaw hit the ground.

Dave
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

spectra71 Posted at 2015-11-20 05:33
re: birds: I believe it's the sonar they don't llike...

Good point, you could be right.

Dave
2015-11-22
Use props
Capt_M
lvl.2

United States

Nice! How do you cancel RTH?
2015-11-22
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Capt_M Posted at 2015-11-23 05:56

There's three whole pages in the manual on RTH .. including how to cancel.
The topic is one of the most important for any flyer.
2015-11-22
Use props
Geoff Charters
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17362 ft
Australia

Thank you! Very helpful.
Geoff
2015-11-22
Use props
Masud Azadi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 273543 ft
India

Very well written. Simple to understand & realistic. It surely was a reminder for me. Thanks!
2015-11-23
Use props
Masud Azadi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 273543 ft
India

Very well written. Simple to understand & realistic. It surely was a reminder for me. Thanks!
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Capt_M Posted at 2015-11-22 10:56

With Inspire:

If doing smart RTH… Press the Smart RTH button once to start the process, press the Smart RTH button again to exit Smart RTH and regain the control.

If low battery RTH… The low battery level failsafe is triggered when the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft. Users are advised to return home or land the aircraft immediately when these warnings are shown. DJI GO app will advise user to return the aircraft to the Home Point when low battery warning is triggered. Aircraft will automatically return to the Home Point if no action is taken after 10 seconds countdown. User can cancel the RTH by pressing once on the RTH button.

If failsafe RTH… Failsafe RTH is activated automatically if remote controller signal (including video relay signal) is lost for more than 3 seconds provided that Home Point has been successfully recorded and compass is working normally. Return home process may be interrupted and the operator can regain control over the aircraft if a remote controller signal is resumed. User can cancel the RTH by pressing once on the RTH button if you regain RC signal.
2015-11-24
Use props
Markdekruyter
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the tips
2015-11-25
Use props
adeluisa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8235 ft
Spain

Sorry Dave for my mistake, and thanks for your answer and purpose to reconsider another CSC please tell us about your boss decision please.

I agree with Paul,
I think that DJI must found easyli a more improbable system to stop motor with csc, I don´t want be redundant, but the real CSC system is not at the level of DJI must be.
2015-11-25
Use props
Shon.white
lvl.2

United States

thanks for your help.
2015-11-26
Use props
iquadtography
lvl.1

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-11-21 00:09
If anyone is worried about doing a CSC mid-air, then you should definitely get my CSC Safety. I give ...

Awesome, Can you just post on here or email to other users?
2015-11-27
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Tim,

This thread is a good reminder for everyone of the simple mistakes that can be made even for experienced pilots where complacency might kick in.  Even better for the new guys...
2015-11-27
Use props
smoke25
lvl.1

United States

Thanks, Tim, Dave. I am so very new to this that I have not been able to actually purchase my Phantom 3 Advanced. I am just here trying to learn. My hope is that I may get ahead of the game so as to avoid the angst that others have felt. And, since we do have plenty of Bald Eagles here in Wisconsin, I know know to keep far, far away!  Who knew? Thanks again!
2015-11-29
Use props
i.kaya
New

Turkey

KaiserSoze9 Posted at 2015-11-19 12:29
Thanks, very useful reminder.

Thank you, Rich!
2015-11-29
Use props
i.kaya
New

Turkey

Thank you, Rich!
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

adeluisa@telefo Posted at 2015-11-25 14:48
Sorry Dave for my mistake, and thanks for your answer and purpose to reconsider another CSC please t ...

Sure thing. I will tell you guys what I find out.

Dave
2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

smoke25 Posted at 2015-11-29 11:45
Thanks, Tim, Dave. I am so very new to this that I have not been able to actually purchase my Phanto ...

Good that you are here early before you buy. That is smart.

You might not know this, but,  the owners manual is not included in the box when you buy the Phantom.
So if you want you could go to the downloads section of the Phantom you are buying and download the manual now and get a head start on that too.

Dave
2015-11-29
Use props
Gunny Highway
lvl.1
United States

I can attest that #10 is in fact one that will surprise you. I can't believe how badly I miscalculated that stopping distance, and I'm an engineer, so I should know better. Fortunaely, the P3P survived.
2015-12-2
Use props
smoke25
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-29 17:57
Good that you are here early before you buy. That is smart.

You might not know this, but,  the ow ...

I am probably not supposed to know this, but I suspect that my wife is going to get this for me for Christmas...If not, it will be closer to spring, I'm afraid!

I do really appreciate the heads up although I saw that at the 9:20 mark of the "DJI - Phantom 3 Tutorial - Unboxing Part 2" at   http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-pro/info#video

I was actually planning on doing that this weekend.  I feel like I only have 3 weeks and that is not enough time to be competent. I want to thank you and your colleagues for providing a wealth of information.
2015-12-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

smoke25 Posted at 2015-12-2 14:27
I am probably not supposed to know this, but I suspect that my wife is going to get this for me fo ...

I hope it will be for Christmas for you.
3weeks should be enough time and when you get it please feel free to ask any questions you have here on the forums.

We are more than happy to help.

Dave
2015-12-2
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

I am glad to see you have chosen CSC as the first on your list. Still sticking with that method huh?
good read though!
2015-12-2
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Solid data...this is great news. I like seeing this! It makes me feel much more confident.
2015-12-2
Use props
smoke25
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-2 17:51
I hope it will be for Christmas for you.
3weeks should be enough time and when you get it please  ...

Thank you! Me too!  (The rest of the story). She asks me every year what I want for Christmas and gives me her "wish list". I tend to spoil her shamelessly. Says I am hard to shop for because it's true. I never have anything to tell her because, as a self-employed well drilling contractor, if I need something (tools, cameras, computers, whatever) I will typically just go out and buy it---and it's usually tax-deductible for my business.  Also, I am pretty specific about the tools that I want.

Well, I was really trying to come up with an answer for her when I started pondering quad-copter camera platforms. I could use the footage of drilling jobs in my website (www.affordablewells.com) or to show my crew what they would be expecting to encounter on upcoming jobs. Or just play. (That concept is pretty foreign to me, though.)

That led me into several hours of research which, naturally, led me to the Phantom 3 Advanced. So I said, "The Advanced is the one. I could get the Professional but the Standard will not do what I want."

Now that I have selected the specific model, it makes it a lot easier to learn before I get the aircraft.  I'm excited, but not trying to appear so.  

Also, for your info, this is something extremely new for me. When I was a kid (early 1970's), my cousin had one of those gas-powered planes that went in a circle while you held the control strings and got dizzy. There has been nothing since then so you might be interested in my selection process.

Actual video footage was one of the first, most dramatic influences. Ease of flight, reliability, flexibility (could I use this indoors?) and camera quality were my priorities. I read several articles from various sources naming the top 10 drones and their opinions on different drones.

I learned that not all drones have remote controllers or other "ready-to-fly" components. Some had user feedback that I did not want to duplicate.

The bottom line is that I could see how I could make practical use of this particular aircraft in my daily life without it simply being a "toy" that I would have to somehow find time to play with.  I just wanted to share my process with you in case it has value to you.  Thanks again!!
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

smoke25 Posted at 2015-12-3 08:50
Thank you! Me too!  (The rest of the story). She asks me every year what I want for Christmas a ...

Yes it does have value to hear your process.

Good to know you are doing your due diligence.

Dave
2015-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules