DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus (v3) fails to Power up
7507 15 2014-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

After several successful flights - Phantom now fails to Power up, LEDs flash once a very weak beep and - nothing. Tried second battery, and both are fully charged. Any Ideas?

2014-12-24
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Any mishaps in the landing department ?
Check the battery contacts in the body are clean, both the large ones and the 2 small pins.
A video of the problem usually helps people to diagnose.
2014-12-24
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-12-25 03:17
Any mishaps in the landing department ?
Check the battery contacts in the body are clean, both the l ...

Nothing dramatic, tipped over onto prop guards at previous landing, flew again after with no apparent issues.

Landed - changed battery, then wouldn't restart (thought that I had put in flat battery) but checked out fine, recharged the previous battery as well and tested. Found a couple of items on Google saying it is probably the ESC board.
Thanks for the reply.
2014-12-24
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

Hi, mikelycett,
'LEDs flash once a very weak beep'-------1. which LED, the battery or the bottom of your drone?
2. where is the 'beep' from?
3. Does the 'beep' repeating? if yes, which pattern is as list below?
BBBBBB…
B--------B--------B…
BB---BB---BB---BB…
2014-12-24
Use props
fitforlife0032
lvl.1

United States

Did you happen to calibrate your transmitter with the RC Assistant software before this started?
2014-12-24
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

No repeating bleeps, just the one. Battery lights go 1-2-3-4 (as I would expect), Beep seems to be from Back left. All four sets of  LEDs (on ESC Boards) just flash quickly once. with the beep. then battery turns off.

Also RC assistant was used to calibrate before first flight, All software on RC Controller and Drone were also upgraded prior to first flight.
First few flights were also absolutely fine.
2014-12-26
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Turned out to be burned out ESC board. (back left), inside of Phantom has black charred area, wires to motor are black. (should be the yellow and red). Board has burned out microchips.  New ESC board and motor on order.
2014-12-29
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

Did it look like this?
Board.jpg
2014-12-29
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes, with a bit more burnt area. I have changed my ESC board and Motor (to be safe). initial flight tests worked.
2015-1-1
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

mikelycett@btin Posted at 2015-1-1 20:31
Yes, with a bit more burnt area. I have changed my ESC board and Motor (to be safe). initial fligh ...

Wow, that could have been a catastrophic failure had it been in flight.  Any Idea what could have cause the burn out?  I'd like to avoid that situation.
2015-1-1
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

When it happened to mine, it had tipped over on landing digging the prop into the grass. I walked over to retrieve it without shutting it down immediately. That's what I believe to be the cause.
2015-1-1
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I tipped over on landing, I had prop guards on as well. Must have got some grass or something in the prop. switched mine off and even did a flight after with no problems (or so I thought). Mine happened after the next change of battery,  just glad I didn't crash and burn.
My new esc says it is version 2.1 . Now had 5 flights since the replacement ESC and motor - doesn't seem to be any other issues.
2015-1-2
Use props
christopherR
New

United Kingdom

mikelycett@btin Posted at 2015-1-3 01:18
I tipped over on landing, I had prop guards on as well. Must have got some grass or something in the ...

As a new owner i have been reading with increasing concern the burnt out ESC etc issue -  it seems that prop guards may partly prevent the damage in the first place but the manual says that you cannot have guards
if also using gimbal/gopro i assume due to weight, is that right?
2015-1-10
Use props
mikelycett
lvl.1

United Kingdom

christopherR Posted at 2015-1-11 05:59
As a new owner i have been reading with increasing concern the burnt out ESC etc issue -  it seems ...

Sorry but not sure, on that, i use a Vision plus, however I have seen plenty of videos with Gopro and prop guards on on youtube etc.

2015-1-11
Use props
jbg640
New

United States

I just bought mine DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus (v3) it all started fine then a few hrs later motors wont start..I have upgraded firmware, recalibrate R, Calibrate IMU.. I have upgrade several times it all seems to go well with no errors but I don't know why "LOADER" says I still have old software.I wonder if I have a burnt out ESC...I don't want to open it because its brand new.

Capture.JPG
2015-1-11
Use props
cmgreenejr
lvl.2

United States

Folks - I am seeing this type of issue on several forums, all of which appear to pertain to Phantom 2 Vision+, Version 3 (with the new motors, esc's, props, RC, etc.) The common thread to what I am seeing (unlike my P2V+ Version 2) is that if an event occurs wherein the props are stopped while the motors are running, it smokes the esc. Believe me, I am a "newbie", but a serious one, and I have had a few incidents like this, and my Phantom exhibited no issues, and continues to fly perfectly.
2015-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules