6229 14 2015-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djames
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1445374 ft
Macao

Hi all,

I'm away in Macau doing a shoot of a windsurfer setting a record from Hong Kong to Macau, and had a nightmare with the Osmo. I had set it all up and calibrated before setting off on the rib chase boat. I tested it ashore and everything appeared fine.

As soon as I started filming I noticed the horizon drifted off from straight and found I had a 1-5 degree angle that I tried to cope with by twisting my hand to keep it level however this just got worse. I found the horizontal calibration settings in the Gimbal menu and tried keeping it level while filming live which of course was not ideal and only helped a little. I tried a reset and calibration but was travel at 12knts in a rib bouncing around which mean't calibration failed.

Now back ashore and recalibrated, the event is over but I am still having the same issue. It starts out fine for a couple of minutes but then the drift of the horizon kicks back in. So frustrating to have happen on a live project.

I have read a few posts from others that they have encountered a drift issue on different forums (Facebook pages etc) but no answers yet.

Dearest DJi, is this a known issue and if so when is a fix out, and perhaps you should warn people not to use the camera on live production job's as this is clearly not acceptable.

Regards

Dominic

From the morning set, horizon off by 2 degree's

From the morning set, horizon off by 2 degree's
Screen Shot 3.jpg

In the afternoon, having tried to reset the camera, I was now shooting with manual adjustments on th ...

In the afternoon, having tried to reset the camera, I was now shooting with manual adjustments on th ...

and an into the sun shot - Grrrr, look at that horizon!!!!

and an into the sun shot - Grrrr, look at that horizon!!!!
2015-11-21
Use props
jgrober21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11575 ft
France

I have read somewhere that calibration under android was not good...only on IOS... An update should fix this bug.

2015-11-22
Use props
djames
lvl.2
Macao

jgrober21 Posted at 2015-11-22 20:19
I have read somewhere that calibration under android was not good...only on IOS... An update should  ...

I do hope so, I'm on iOS and it's not good at them moment. Funny thing is I'm also working with an Inspire 1 with an X3 camera on and it works beautifully!
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

The gimbal need to be calibrated at a still and level position, try to place the gimbal in a level place and do the auto-calibrarion, Please do a few more tests on the ground and send a video link here so I can help you. Thanks.
2015-11-22
Use props
djames
lvl.2
Macao

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-11-23 09:52
The gimbal need to be calibrated at a still and level position, try to place the gimbal in a level p ...

I have Amy, I will post a bit of footage later today.
2015-11-22
Use props
bonezshaker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 389199 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm wondering if increasing the tilt Deadband setting might help? The boat movement might of been too much for the default setting.
2015-11-23
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

djames Posted at 2015-11-22 20:53
I have Amy, I will post a bit of footage later today.

Please do post a video after following Amy's suggestion. I am interested in the outcome.
2015-11-23
Use props
wesdorman
lvl.2

United States

I have exactly the same problem with drifting horizon... also noticed when shooting from vehicles, if the horizon is correct, but once take a turn such as a freeway exit, the horizon will drift as the car turns....  I have stopped trying to use the Osmo until the next firmware update.  I hope this will be addressed.  thanks
2015-11-24
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

wesdorman@gmail Posted at 2015-11-25 09:56
I have exactly the same problem with drifting horizon... also noticed when shooting from vehicles, i ...

a) Please upgrade to the latest firmware which currently is v1.2.1.60.
b) Try to do the gimbal auto calibration and calibrate Horizon on the DJI GO APP. For horizon calibration, + means clockwise tilt, - means counter-clockwise tilt, try to use a horizontal reference during the process.  
2015-11-27
Use props
hendrik
lvl.1
Canada

I have the same issue. It gets worse when we tried to use it in a truck.
It will really be great if OSMO can be more stable and stick to the horizon.
2016-1-12
Use props
meteorosz
lvl.2

I have the exact same problem. I keep thinking to myself that it's so bad you wouldn't want to use the Osmo on a professional job.

The problem needs to be fixed with a firmware update as soon as possible DJI.
2016-2-21
Use props
tadphoto
lvl.1
United States

Same problem here. Latest firmware and thought I had the horizon calibrated. When I turn left the horizon drifts three degrees down left and when i turn right it drifts three degrees down right. Impossible or extremely annoying to correct in software later. Can't apply an overall horizon calibration because it doesn't have a stable error.

How is the unit judging the horizon? Is it an electric gyro? Those are going to process and would need extensive software fixes, I'd guess. If it's doing it optically then there are going to be issues when I'm doing something like shooting in the woods, as I was today and found a 6 degree variation to either side. Nearly unusable video shot for a client.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

tadphoto Posted at 2016-7-27 18:34
Same problem here. Latest firmware and thought I had the horizon calibrated. When I turn left the ho ...

Hi, I guess you have tried calibrating it on a level ground, and upgraded to the latest firmware?

If the issue  persists, please contact support.us@dji.com and send it in for a repair.

Thank you.
2016-7-27
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.2

I have that problem sometime, in fact, every time I power off when I come back on my horizon is off. It's easy, although it takes 30 seconds, to re set it but if you were on a boat you'd have to use the + or - signs. Also, if you stay wider and you're doing 4K you can always "fix it in post" as they say, if you were wider than you needed.

Ned
2016-7-28
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-7-28 17:51
I have that problem sometime, in fact, every time I power off when I come back on my horizon is off. ...

Hi, I would suggest you send it in for repair when you don't plan to use it for a while, before the warranty expires.
2016-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules