Recording is grainy in 4k ??
3881 7 2015-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xwingfighter
lvl.1

France

Hi Peeps !

Playing around with my new Phantom 3 pro this morning taking some great shots of a vine yard on a beautiful sunny day.  The problem I have is that when I record in 4k
It turns out pretty grainy and I have some lines across the screen, pretty disappointed as I thought 4k was the bomb !!   Also when playing back video it's very stuttery, been scratching
my head on this for a while.   

Any advice on camera settings would be appreciated

Many thanks   fellow aviators !!
2015-11-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It might be a good idea to post the video clip so others can see what you are talking about.
2015-11-22
Use props
Sunflux
lvl.1

Canada

Yes. post a clip. As for the stuttering problem, that's almost certainly because your playback device can't handle 4k video -or- you don't have an appropriate codec installed.
2015-11-22
Use props
Xwingfighter
lvl.1

France

Ok thanks guys will try and post the video on here,   I'm currently using a 2013 iMac top of the range with ei captain.   So this would be why it is stuttering my iMac can't handle 4k ?
2015-11-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Xwingfighter Posted at 2015-11-23 19:14
Ok thanks guys will try and post the video on here,   I'm currently using a 2013 iMac top of the ran ...

Can't say about your iMac, as I am not an Apple person, but it is not uncommon for many computers to  be unable to handle 4K. It is also not uncommon for people to come on this forum with the same issue, and it often turns out their computer is not up to the task. 4K seems to have caught the computer industry unawares, and it is still trying to catch up.
2015-11-23
Use props
wavis184
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1810735 ft
  • >>>
United States

Xwingfighter Posted at 2015-11-23 03:14
Ok thanks guys will try and post the video on here,   I'm currently using a 2013 iMac top of the ran ...

I have a iMac that I just got last year. I use FCP. It handles the 4K just fine.
2015-12-1
Use props
scottdrmyers
lvl.2

Canada

Try playing back in VLC. If your monitor is not 4K it will scale it and make it "fit" in your screen, thus causing artifacts.

If you get stuttering or green line, boxes or breakups, that's a codec or CPU/GPU problem. I have an HP Envy X2 13" (CORE M 1.5Ghz CPU) and I can barely play back the 1080p@60fps. The bitrate on these files IS INSANE, but that's what you are paying for, the quality. If I re-encode the video using Adobe Premiere to about 20mb/sec it's way smoother, but some quality is lost.

In the end, if you are uploading to YouTube, it re-encodes and drops the bitrate regardless.

http://help.encoding.com/knowled ... tes-in-video-files/

I wish there was a setting in the app to adjust the recording bitrate. I'd like to drop it down to about 16-20MB/sec for 1080p @ 60FPS. It would take up less space and let me play back the video on older hardware. For most of my needs, the lower bitrate is fine.
2015-12-1
Use props
fzavala
New
Flight distance : 307520 ft
Mexico

So, does anyone know why it is grainy when recording in 4k?
2015-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules