Phantom 3 wont connect to Go app or show camera view
255674 368 2015-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikecoll23
New

United States

TO EVERYONE HAVING THE ISSUE WHERE THE DJI GO APP SAYS "How to Connect":

I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone and on chat with DJI support today and yesterday.  I think I understand the problem now, but I don't have a solution.
My current understanding is that if you have an older firmware loaded onto your RC, the new version of the DJI Go app fails to recognize the controller.
And, because there is no way to update the firmware on the RC except through the app (which is what the DJI tech told me) you are basically screwed.

Additional evidence of this includes the following:
- My RC and the aircraft are binded successfully. I can even control the camera tilt with the gimbal wheel, so obviously the problem is not with communication between them.
- Even if the aircraft is turned off, you SHOULD be able to enter the DJI Go app and update the firmware.  This is how the RC firmware is currently updated and the aircraft firmware is actually different from the RC and has nothing to do with it.
- For me everything worked fine (same cable, same firmware, everything) UNTIL the DJI Go app updated (which it did automatically on my ipad). Then suddenly I arrived at this stalemate situation that so many in this thread are experiencing.  And no amount of updating aircraft firmware or holding buttons and rebinding or changing cables or reloading the app does anything.

DJI wants me to send the whole unit back to them to be repaired and I guess I have no other options.  The bitch of it will be that because my unit is more than a year old and out of warranty, even though this is not my fault, I expect that they will want to charge me for the "repair" (although I guess that remains to be seen).
If anyone else thinks they know how to update the firmware in the RC without using the app, I would be happy to hear your suggestion.
If not, maybe this comment can at least save people some of the time and frustration that I've experienced over the past day and a half.

2016-10-5
Use props
nbpatel28
New
Flight distance : 39035 ft
United States

mikecoll23 Posted at 2016-10-5 12:39
TO EVERYONE HAVING THE ISSUE WHERE THE DJI GO APP SAYS "How to Connect":

I have spent quite a bit o ...

I tried to take my Phantom 3 Pro out today after a while, and I'm having the same issue as everyone else here. Everything was working as expected, but my iphone wouldn't connect to the RC/app. The RC controlled the P3P just fine, I just couldn't get into the camera view at all.

I just read what mikecoll23 wrote - this is ridiculous! It sound like it makes total sense, but how can they let this issue go on without updating their app to allow us to update the firmware? And do you need to send the drone in for "repair" or just the RC? It stupid to have to send it in just to update the firmware. Everything was going great, but this issue has really put an awful taste in my mouth. If they can't fix this I'll never give them another dollar again.
2016-10-15
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft

You must not be using a Standard. With the Standard the home screen becomes fully active once the wifi link has been made with the copter. Do you have USB debugging enabled?
2016-10-15
Use props
nbpatel28
New
United States

I am using a Phantom 3 Professional. When you plug the USB-to-lightning cable from the RC into the phone, there is essentially no connection noticed within the DJI GO App. I should make a video of this to show what is happening. It is not normal, and definitely NOT how it was working for a very long time. The message mikecoll wrote makes sense about the App being updated and the RC on old firmware - I haven't updated the RC firmware in a long time, but the DJI GO App on my phone gets updated all the time.
2016-10-17
Use props
julgomez2
New
Flight distance : 6332 ft

Hello phantom flyers. I have been struggling for months like you, trying to figure out why am not able to connect.  the solution was found. I was using a samsung A8 tablet 8" tablet. It would do the same. I find out, when I connect my samsung galaxy note 2. It would connect with no problem, but it freeze up when i recorded. but it would work every time. I bought a $50 hp slate 7" tablet at micro center. It works perfect and does not disconnect. The problem is completely fix. DJI is compatible with android, but it's not compatible with all the version of android kit kat, lollipop and jelly beam etc. It work perfect with jelly bean.
2016-10-17
Use props
nbpatel28
New
United States

julgomez2 - it sounds like you're having a slightly different issue than we are. We can't update the RC firmware, which is essentially causing the issue.

mikecoll23 - I found that the RC can be updated by uploading the files onto a USB flash drive, then inserting it into the USB driving on the RC. There are instructions from DJI on how to do this. This should get the RC updated. I'm going to try this and I will let you know if this worked for me.
2016-10-19
Use props
marctrhi
New

Canada

Good evening all.  I have had a breakthrough of sorts.  I am having the same issue as everyone else with the "How to connect" and "Not connected" problems.   I happen to have an old galaxy note 3 with lollipop on it that has been sitting around with power off and therefore not updated to the most recent dji software.  I tried it and now I have a device that I can fly my phantom with again.  I put it into airplane mode and will not turn on the wifi that way it will not download the latest softwarew updates.  Its not as big as my S6 10 inch tablet but at least I can fly my  phantom 3.  I've got clients waiting!
2016-10-19
Use props
rsw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft

A LOT of people are having the same experience. I was too, right from the box. I use a Galaxy S5. Here is what worked for me.

1. Put the phone's USB in file transfer mode rather than charging mode.
2. REMOVE ALL OTHER FLIGHT APPS. On some devices the DJI Go has to be the only flight app installed. Uninstall them all then reinstall only the DJI Go app.

I was preparing my Phantom to return for service when I tested it using my wife's phone. It worked. I had to uninstall Litchi. After I got it working I reinstalled Litchi and DJI Go would no longer connect. DOH!

Now I'll use my wife's phone when I want to use Litchi and my own when I want DJI Go.
2016-10-21
Use props
marctrhi
New

Canada

Ok another find.  I found a page where I can download previous versions of the DJI Go app.  I installed version 2.9.0 and Voila!  All my devices are working.  I let it update to 3.0 again just to see and sure enough not able to connect to my tablet.  So back to 2.9.0.  DJI perhaps you could fix your app so that it will work for all of us with this issue.  Seems to me it cant be that hard for wiz programers like you.
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

nbpatel28@gmail Posted at 2016-10-20 04:41
julgomez2 - it sounds like you're having a slightly different issue than we are. We can't update the ...

To clarify, what firmware versions are you currently running on your Phantom? If it's older than 1.3.2, then you will need to update the RC to 1.3.2 via the USB adaptor method before you can move forward with the Go app RC updates. Ideally you always want to update the aircraft first before the RC.
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

marctrhi@yahoo. Posted at 2016-10-24 10:00
Ok another find.  I found a page where I can download previous versions of the DJI Go app.  I instal ...

Could you happen to clarify what firmware you have on your Phantom? If you're not one to update firmware regularly, then app connections issues are bound to occur.
2016-10-23
Use props
sbeckcom
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-24 01:50
To clarify, what firmware versions are you currently running on your Phantom? If it's older than 1 ...

how can you tell what version your RC is if you cant connect to the go app?  The phantom is on the latest version.  I was gone on work assignment and did not fly for months but was working before I did updates last time I flew.  Enough people are complaining so I would think this needs to be fixed,  I ordered a inspire but thinking maybe I need to cancel go with another brand if I am going to have same issues.
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

sbeckcom@sbcglo Posted at 2016-10-26 09:56
how can you tell what version your RC is if you cant connect to the go app?  The phantom is on the ...

App communication issues when there is either highly outdated firmware or software is common and can normally be rectified, barring any previous hardware issues. In order to better assist you, I would need additional information. What Phantom model do you have? When was the last time you updated firmware in before you recently updated the aircraft? You should be able to use the Release notes from your craft's Download page in order to backtrack to what the AC/RC firmware combination you had last. What mobile device do you use? What version of the Go app are you running?
2016-10-26
Use props
kLN6H05MptJA
New

Canada

nbpatel28@gmail Posted at 2016-10-15 18:55
I tried to take my Phantom 3 Pro out today after a while, and I'm having the same issue as everyon ...

I'm in the same boat as you, this is the second time this has happened to me with there updating the app. If they don't fix it, I will not be buying a dji product again. I lost out on a contract with an a large company because of this issue that never should have happened.
2016-10-27
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-6 06:06
That means the app does not see your controller and its the USB cable or USB port that is bad.

I agree here with DJI-Ken.  I have had two bad USB cables.  Also, not all USB cables are alike and will work.  Some are just for charging, and others are charging and Data flow.  I did not know that until I did some research on the Internet a few days ago.
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2016-10-28 03:39
I agree here with DJI-Ken.  I have had two bad USB cables.  Also, not all USB cables are alike and  ...

Yes, I've had cables before that would work on one device and not the other.
So could be.
2016-10-27
Use props
marctrhi
New

Canada

I have never updated my drone software or remote as too many people in forums complain that they have issues afterwards.  I've had my phantom 3 for about 18 months now.  The only thing to have ever caused trouble is the android update to 3.0 so im going to stick to 2.9.  I just need it to keep working when I need it too and its fine like this.
2016-10-27
Use props
ANDY1492
lvl.2

Suriname

i have the same issue... i have the phantom 3 professional and it has worked perfectly for about a year. A week ago suddenly i could not connect anymore with the dji go app on my samsung galaxy s5.
i have tried everything that has been mentioned in this thread.
I have 2 dji S900 with lightbridge installed on them. both of them worked perfectly until the lightbridge 2 came out where both suddenly could not connect anymore with the lightbridge app. Im seeing that the moment dji releases new products with new updates the old ones tend to stop working. I bought this phantom 3 as a backup for my 2 s900 drones in case they would fail. now i have 3 drones down... thank you for destroying my business dji!!!
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ANDY1492 Posted at 2016-10-31 03:01
i have the same issue... i have the phantom 3 professional and it has worked perfectly for about a y ...

You noticed this issue after APP upgrading to V3.0.1?
Have you tried to delete it then re-install the APP?
You could try to unplug USB cable and plug it again or change another one, please make sure you enable the USB debugging and MTP mode. And then turn them on in a different order.
Besides, may i know what the LED status on the remote? solid red or green? re-link them makes no sense, right?
2016-10-31
Use props
marctrhi
New

Canada

ANDY1492 Posted at 2016-10-31 03:01
i have the same issue... i have the phantom 3 professional and it has worked perfectly for about a y ...

Hey ANDY1492.  You know the DJI staff just keeps spouting out hte same useless stuff about USB cables.  Its infuriating!  Try uninstalling the new software update on your phone or tablet and then installing the previous version.  Something in the 2.9 not 3.0.  You can easily find that online somewhere. It worked for me.  Then make sure you set your phone not to automatically update software or you'll end up with 3.0 again.
2016-11-1
Use props
marctrhi
New

Canada

Hey ANDY1492.  You know the DJI staff just keeps spouting out the same useless stuff about USB cables.  Its infuriating!  Try uninstalling the new software update on your phone or tablet and then installing the previous version.  Something in the 2.9 not 3.0.  You can easily find that online somewhere. It worked for me.  Then make sure you set your phone not to automatically update software or you'll end up with 3.0 again.
2016-11-1
Use props
sbeckcom
New

United States

I have tried 10 different cables and no luck.  I did get it to connect after a fresh install on iPad but then app said RC needed updated and I did.  Then back to nothing,  I have tried it on iPad mini 3, iPad air 2, iPhone 6s plus, and a Galaxy Tab and nothing.  There is a problem with the app or the last update.  DJI stop acting like there is not an issue and fix this.  Check with Aces Deals I have an Aspire on order and plan on canceling it if this issue is not fixed soon.  I am currently working with a 3 pro.
2016-11-1
Use props
fans74c4593b
New

United States

So basically after trying 10 cables and all the various resets, we got a expensive paper weight?! Thanks DJI
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

sbeckcom@sbcglo Posted at 2016-11-2 07:31
I have tried 10 different cables and no luck.  I did get it to connect after a fresh install on iPad ...

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, if in that case, would you mind send it in for further evaluation by our engineers since you have tried all basic troubleshooting already.
Please feel free to contact our tech support at support.us@dji.com for further help.
2016-11-3
Use props
fans1897d2b6
New

United States

I had a simular issue today with my Phantom 3 Standard. I had been flying the Phantom and switched to my Xiro Xplorer and back to my Phantom and it showed that the remote was connected to the ipad by the drone was not, therefore no camera access. I had flown my Xiro Xplorer with my android phone and my Phantom on my ipad. Turns out that the Phantom can only connect to one device at a time and had connected to my android as well as my ipad. After returning home it worked fine, so I tried to duplicate the issue, and sure enough It did it again. this time I was able to simply turn WIFI off on my android and it immediatly connected and gave me the camera promt.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans74c4593b
New

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-3 02:30
Sorry for the inconvenience caused, if in that case, would you mind send it in for further evaluat ...

Is there a program where DJI can just buy this junk back and I can get a drone that works from another company? For the price I paid I expect it to work when I need it to. It's reticules to spend money, fly some flights, do a required update, all the sudden nobody knows wtf is going on and how to fix it.
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans1897d2b6 Posted at 2016-11-7 07:12
I had a simular issue today with my Phantom 3 Standard. I had been flying the Phantom and switched t ...

Thanks for the details, glad to hear it's working properly.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans74c4593b Posted at 2016-11-11 09:22
Is there a program where DJI can just buy this junk back and I can get a drone that works from ano ...

We really understand how frustrated it must be, you have tried all the possible methods, but it failed to connect , it's suggested to send it in, our engineers will help you deal with it soon.
2016-11-11
Use props
d_brant
New
United States

Having a similar issue here:
I have a P3P that I haven't flown in some time (close to a year), and I've just now powered it back up. The RC links with the aircraft just fine. But when I connect the RC to my Android phone (with the latest DJI GO app), it isn't recognized at all.  My Android device does show a "charging" icon, meaning that it's definitely drawing power from the USB connection, but it does not give any options to change the USB connection type (mtp, software install, etc). I also can't enable tethering over USB, as others have suggested, since the USB connection is not compatible (the option is grayed out).

- I've tried using several different USB cables. It's not the cable.
- I've tried using several different Android devices (with different versions of Android), with the same behavior.
- As a sanity check, I tried installing several older versions of the DJI app, none of which were able to detect the RC.

This all points to the possibility of a faulty USB port on the RC... but is this really such a common failure mode?  I don't really see how the USB port can go bad, if I haven't been using it this whole time. (Also, the USB connection is definitely delivering charge to the Android device, so at least that part is working...)

I really hope that a solution for this is discovered soon. I'd really like to avoid having to send it off to a service center, if possible.
2016-11-14
Use props
MrX8503
New

United States

Same issue here as everyone else.

Haven't flown my Phantom in months and when I finally decide to my RC won't connect with the new DJI GO app. I also notice the iPad doesn't prompt me to trust the device like it used to in the past. I highly doubt it's a faulty USB port or cable considering it's been sitting in a case.
2016-11-23
Use props
fans2c861e75
New

United States

I'm having the same problem with my phantom 3 standard
2017-1-14
Use props
fans2c861e75
New

United States

The menu on my phone will not connect to my phantom 3 standard after the latest update. It only says How to connect. My controller light is green. This is some BS
2017-1-14
Use props
Griergg
New

New Zealand

I too had this problem. I found it was a combination of firmware and app inconsistencies.

Here's what I did and it solved the problem. ( I'm using Android FYI)
I'd updated to the latest DJI App - this was an issue.

Delete DJI go App and reinstall older version 2.9.1 from here - https://apkpure.com/dji-go/dji.pilot/download?from=details%2Fversion&fid=b%2Fapk%2FZGppLnBpbG90XzY3XzkzYmIyNWIz&version_code=67

This should get you to camera view but it won't get much further than that...yet. It will however allow you to check which firmware version you have on the RC. In my case it was old and running 1.2.7

Next step - download the 1.3.2 Firmware for the RC from DJI - install via USB stick into remote

This will give you the ability to update further RC firmware via the DJI App

Update RC firmware via DJI app

At this point you should be up and running again. At least I was..

Good luck
2017-1-14
Use props
geek
New

United States

Same problem as everyone else, camera wont connect.    I have a very frustrated teenager with a $400 paperweight that we have only flown successfully 3 times out of sheer "luck" or fiddling with controls, powering on/off,  wifi on/off, installing, uninstalling apps, praying, begging, until we get the holy grail blue camera button.     Hours wasted with troubleshooting and sometimes no matter how much fiddling around, reading suggestions, we cant connect, I am quickly starting to hate the brand.    Too bad, as the hardware seems really good.  When the drone flies, it's really fun.    But the app software, bugs, and inability to connect to the camera is really frustrating.   Taking 30 minute drives to find a good place to fly, only to have the camera not connect over and over again is breaking my sons heart.   Sounds like is a very common problem after doing some Google searches, so I feel for you!     
2017-1-16
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

DJI, if you see in here, a chance of a workaround, would it not be wise to add it to the front of the thread, even as a "user suggested workaround, with no liability from DJI"? I see a lot of people asking this, so having a comprehensive written guide in this thread, or one like it that's easily found, would be very useful to all phantom 3 users...  There's A LOT of frustration with this... after almost every firmware upgrade.
Thoughts?
2017-1-16
Use props
fans78c85233
New

United States

Work-around for connection issue.
2017-1-17
Use props
fans78c85233
New

United States

I may have found a work-around for this issue until DJI fixes the problem.  I have all the same problems and have tried all the same suggestions dozens of times over the last several months but none have actually solved the problem.  I have been unplugging and re-plugging my TAB from the controller anywhere from 5 to 20 times to finally get a connection, which is VERY annoying. I'm sure it's not good for the ports to repeatedly do this every time so I was determined to find a better work-around.

Here's what I tried for about an hour last night:

1) Turn on drone (really at anytime before turning on controller ... I know it's not recommended but what are you going to do, right).
2) Turn on tablet but DO NOT start the GO app manually.
3) Plug tablet into controller.
4) Turn on controller ... GO app should start on your tablet automatically.
5) When GO app comes up, if there is no camera option then close the GO app.
6) Turn controller off and then turn it back on allowing the GO app to re-open.
7) Repeat steps #4 thru #6 until the CAMERA button appears.

I tried many iterations of this until I found this to work within 3 to 5 tries.  I repeated this by unplugging everything and turning everything off and then back on so as to start fresh each time.  I tried it about 20 times and on all occasions, the GO app connected within 3 to 5 tries.

GOOD LUCK!!!
2017-1-17
Use props
Oregonflyguy
New

United States

Same issue here. I was able to once  see in the app my version 1.3.20 and tried to follow the directions for DL the file. Now all I get is gimble movement. No other responses - not even a motor startup.  Tried multiple devices and nothing is connecting. I might send it back for firmware upgrades, but I think that they need to make a hardware (SD card) firmware upgrade provision and not just rely on the APP. This is a typical software upgrade that does not call specific functions anymore within the device or they changed the function names and they are not talking the same way anymore. Much like when Microsoft would change thier code slightly and third party software would stop functioning. It is a shame so many people have this issue and for so long. I was running mine fine, put it away and was going to do some snow shots when this happens.  Again, i assume I will have to send it in, but this just stinks with the extra cost and it really isn't our faults.
2017-1-18
Use props
Agile Media
New

United States

I may have found a work-around for this issue until DJI fixes the problem.  I have all the same problems and have tried all the same suggestions dozens of times over the last several months but none have actually solved the problem.  I have been unplugging and re-plugging my TAB from the controller anywhere from 5 to 20 times to finally get a connection, which is VERY annoying. I'm sure it's not good for the ports to repeatedly do this every time so I was determined to find a better work-around.

Here's what I tried for about an hour last night:

1) Turn on drone (really at anytime before turning on controller ... I know it's not recommended but what are you going to do, right).
2) Turn on tablet but DO NOT start the GO app manually.
3) Plug tablet into controller.
4) Turn on controller ... GO app should start on your tablet automatically.
5) When GO app comes up, if there is no camera option then close the GO app.
6) Turn controller off and then turn it back on allowing the GO app to re-open.
7) Repeat steps #4 thru #6 until the CAMERA button appears.

I tried many iterations of this until I found this to work within 3 to 5 tries.  I repeated this by unplugging everything and turning everything off and then back on so as to start fresh each time.  I tried it about 20 times and on all occasions, the GO app connected within 3 to 5 tries.

GOOD LUCK!!!
2017-1-18
Use props
Agile Eye Media
New

United States

Just wanted to add a link to a video that explains the procedure above:

2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules