1371 30 2015-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey, Just was out flying with the Inspire testing some batteries.... and wanted to check my flight log and the DJI login was failing. I tried both my iPad and iPhone and could not get the App to let me log in. I went to my PC and logged into the website no problems using my email and password

Has anyone else had this problem today?

Please comment on this topic to help others with this problem

Rich
2015-11-22
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Oh yes!
I was unable to sync or upload my flight record to the cloud this morning and later today was unable to log in to the DJI GO APP.  Told that my "password was invalid"
Changed password on DJI web page, but that didn't work for DJI GP, so I registered on DJI GO with another email account and was able to sync, getting all of my prior records.
WTF is DJI doing now?
2015-11-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Movin on Posted at 2015-11-22 17:40
Oh yes!
I was unable to sync or upload my flight record to the cloud this morning and later today wa ...

Thanks for your reply, I feel better now know that I am not the only one

Maybe they are doing some maintenance on the server?  I do not what to create a new account, so I will wait to hear what is happening from DJI....

Hey DJI Dave, do you have any news on this problem?

I was doing some battery experiments today and found some interesting information regarding the smart batteries discharge cycle. I need my flight logs to finish my assessment.

Rich
2015-11-22
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has this been fixed?
2015-11-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks,

Yes, I just was able to login on all my devices.

Rich
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry for this inconvenience! We have been doing some updates on a server. Must be operating normally now
2015-11-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Movin on Posted at 2015-11-22 17:40
Oh yes!
I was unable to sync or upload my flight record to the cloud this morning and later today wa ...

It is up and running.....  DJI Go App is online and I was able to get my flight logs again

Rich
2015-11-22
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-11-22 17:56
Thanks for your reply, I feel better now know that I am not the only one

Maybe they are doing  ...

Hey Rich, yeah looks like IT was doing some work on the servers. Everything seems to be working now.
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I would also like to hear what you have learned about the smart bats.

I was actually just about to call Tahoe Ed about this battery stuff.
2015-11-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-23 13:47
I would also like to hear what you have learned about the smart bats.

I was actually just about to ...

Dave,
We have the mystery of the batteries dropping for no reason right? There have been many posts including me regarding battery problems.  
So, I set out to see if I could duplicate the sudden battery drop.
Okay, I set three (3) fully charged batteries aside  for three weeks without touching them. All of these batteries are set for 10 days on the App regarding the auto discharge cycle assuming this is controlled by the intelligent battery chip and firmware.
First I checked each battery by pushing the power button to see the status of each one. I got three solid green LED's and the fourth one was blinking. Based on the LED's each of them looked the same.

The next thing I did was to install one of the batteries into my inspire 1, then set up my remote and IPad. Turned on everything and then connected. Looking at the battery screen in the GO App my first battery was showing 80% charge, about 3.98 volts per cell . Now I started the Inspire while leaving the battery page open on my screen to watch. Put the bird into a 10 foot hover and cycled the gear up. The progress bar said I had about 10.20 minutes of flight time and everything was looking good.  I decided to lower the landing gear just to be safe and continued to watch the battery as it went to 76%. (pretty boring stuff right) one minute, started on the second minute and everything was fine.  I was playing with the camera gimbal and cycled the landing gear again up and then back down at about 1 minute and 15 seconds into the flight  and right.... then at about 1 minutes and 21 seconds the battery dropped without warning to 5% the red LED was flashing and the inspire was landing in only seconds. I have the flight log to prove this (but not sure how to copy the file yet). Pretty scary right. So I shut everything down and began getting my second battery ready to go.

Same process and started up the Inspire with the battery showing 76% bah bah bah... this time I did not even get the landing gear raised up. I watched the battery monitor and two of the six cells dropped within 35 seconds into the red. So I did not chance this one over a minute, set it down and shut it off. Funny thing is when the Inspire was setting on the ground motors off, the battery showed normal voltage (without load). Start the motors and the cells immediately dropped to undesired levels.

I put the final battery into the Inspire and this one acted differently than the other two. Started up with 80% battery and all cells were within about 3.98volts The progress bar showed11:44 minutes flight time. I flew this battery while watching the monitor and the cells were consistent and everything seemed to work fine. Keep in mind that I was not going to get carried away (just hovered in one place) I was able to fly this battery for 9 minutes and shut it down with 24% battery left showing.  The flight power progress bar was consistent throughout the flight (not working very hard) and keeping it is a safe place for the experiment.

All of these batteries have worked well and no issues before the test and now I can see why we are hearing about sudden voltage drops from people using the tools we have in hand. If you just rely on the green LED's to tell us the battery condition it would be an mistake.
I always charge my batteries (top off) before I go to fly. It seems that the LED lights do not really show the state of the battery after it has been in the self discharge mode. Each battery has variable's that could be due to usage and useful lifespan. Temperature is another factor on total operational time.
ALWAYS charge your batteries before you start the flying session.  

TB47 Battery #1 has 9 flights
TB 47 Battery #2 has 10 flights
TB 47 Battery # 3 has 3 flights

I will post some screen shots and the flight log once it get this off my iPad.

Thanks for your attention and I hope this will help us in some way.
Rich
2015-11-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-23 02:48
... and your findings regarding battery discharge, Rich??

Are you going to keep us in suspense?

Hi Paul

see below my findings
2015-11-23
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Thanks Rich for going through the trouble and doing this testing and posting the valuable information here.

One more thing you should check on. That is your total battery capacity. If you have a TB 47 and you know it is supposed to have 4500 Mah but it only shows something like 4200 Mah then you need to calibrate it.
To properly calibrated you need to drop the voltage to 3.3 V Per-cell To do this you would need to discharge it to 0% on your monitor. Maybe even a little less than 0% on your monitor
Then recharge it to 100% and check the total capacity again. If it is still not reading 4500 or very close to it then you need to do the procedure again.

I myself have found that I need to do this on two of my packs that have not been used very much. One only has 11 charges and one only has 7.  They are newer packs, my other packs I have a lot more charges on them and I have done this procedure and it has worked.
I know this does not solve the problem you and many others are seeing with the battery. It is just one more thing we can do to try to keep our batteries in better health.

Dave
2015-11-24
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-23 23:03
Below??? I must have my screen upside down... I see your findings above...

I concur. Your findi ...

Hi Paul,

I would like to know who it was with a DJI badge that was giving you trouble here on the forum. That way I can bring this up with my boss and get it  taken care of.

I did not see anybody giving you any hassle in your battery thread that you mention.
It must be somewhere else in a thread I have not seen yet.

Dave
2015-11-24
Use props
jackiedh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Richj53--The progress bar said I had about 10.20 minutes of flight time and everything was looking good.  I decided to lower the landing gear just to be safe and continued to watch the battery --

Rich I don't see any time remaining in my progress bar just a series of dots--is there a setting to turn this on somewhere?

This is with the motors running--I do have show the voltage slider on and and I see the cell voltage but only 4 dots on the progress bar!!

Thanks

Jack
2015-11-24
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-24 10:37
No, Dave. Not in my battery-tests thread. I'm sorry if I misled. It wasn't intentional.
I appreciat ...

Thanks Paul for the well thought out reply.  I completely understand. Given the circumstances and my "low man on the totem pole" rank, this answer you have given is probably best for both of us, especially me.   

Dave
2015-11-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jackiedh Posted at 2015-11-24 09:52
Richj53--The progress bar said I had about 10.20 minutes of flight time and everything was looking g ...

Hi Jackiedh
No settings for this, you will find that the dashes will change to a flight time left once the App calculates the remaining time. sometimes I have found this to take a minute or so...  Yes, you have to have the motors running to start the remaining flight time count down... on the progress bar

I only can speak to the IOS devices

Rich
2015-11-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-24 07:56
Thanks Rich for going through the trouble and doing this testing and posting the valuable informatio ...

Hi Dave,

It was worth trying this out and I hope that others can get the idea from this experiment. I have already cycled the batteries down to below 5% on these TB 47's after I completed the firmware updates. I have noticed the total capacity has dropped from the 4500... down to 4244ish on some of the packs. I tried getting one of them replaced under warranty.

The total voltage was looking pretty solid around 23.6 v

Paul has done a lot of testing on this subject two... for me I am glad to actually get the battery to drop off during my tests. I feel that this is possibly one of the root causes of battery failure in flight. (of course many other things can happen) but this is a huge issue if you don't know it exists.

I will post the flight log and a screen shot or two once I have a chance .. for me this is a pain in the butt because I can't add photos or other stuff in the forum while using windows IE 11. I have to use Firefox web browser for these features to work. My main system does not have Firefox

Rich
2015-11-24
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-23 23:03
Below??? I must have my screen upside down... I see your findings above...

I concur. Your findi ...

Hi Paul

Sure if DJI wants to add to our online DJI credits that would be awesome

As I am sure you are also, trying to help others and make the Inspire experience better for everyone.  Man I felt so relieved when I saw the battery drop in front of my eyes, just to validate something was truly happening to these guys out there.

I am not sure how to extract the flight log from the DJI App? Do you use Shou and record the screen or can you just download the file?

Rich
2015-11-24
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-11-24 00:37
Dave,
We have the mystery of the batteries dropping for no reason right? There have been many post ...

Thanks for your time and notes Rich. I have asked a number of people that have had issues with the battery drop, "what does the GO App show in regard to the battery cell data"?  My practice when the batteries have been sitting for a while is to run them down and bring them to a full charge the day before I am going to fly. It seems to work for me as I have never encountered the battery issue that others have experienced.
Thanks again for bringing this to the table.
2015-11-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-25 00:00
There are a couple of ways I understand.

One way is to shove a USB lead up the tail of your Inspi ...

Paul,

That is good information but not what I was looking for. I used Shou to take the screen video of the flight log.

Link:

2015-11-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-11-24 07:56
Thanks Rich for going through the trouble and doing this testing and posting the valuable informatio ...

Dave check out the video showing the battery drop. I couldn't find my other screen shots that I wanted.... but here are two shots.... the first one is showing the bad battery capicity issue and the second one was showing the firmware used for this test.

IMG_0040.jpg IMG_0047.jpg

Rich

2015-11-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-11-25 05:33
Thanks for your time and notes Rich. I have asked a number of people that have had issues with the ...

Hey Rodger,

I hope this helps everyone see what can happen if you just trust the LED lights on the battery and the DJI GO App. This is an exaggerated test and hopefully no one would do this on purpose. Each of the batteries acted differently and I was happy to get the battery drop issue to show up during the test.
see my video posted here....
I agree the best practice is to charge your batteries before use or at least top them off.

Thanks
Rich
2015-11-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-11-25 23:15
Hey Rodger,

I hope this helps everyone see what can happen if you just trust the LED lights on th ...

You accomplished your goal Rich.
2015-11-26
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing these test results guys, very good info collected here, again,,

I haven't had any battery problems "and hopefully wont".
Since this problem surfaced months ago, I always charge or top up within 24 hours of when I am going to fly next
and always do a re-cycle every 10-12 charges, when re-cycling, I just run the Inspire on my office desk until it turns its self off and then re-charge back up to 100%

Credit to you all and this site.

Mike.
2015-11-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-11-26 12:32
Thanks for sharing these test results guys, very good info collected here, again,,

I haven't had an ...

Thanks for you nice comments. We try hard to share what we learn,  see the link below for a third party battery charger solution with discharge option

http://www.smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPC4500.

Rich
2015-11-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-26 09:52
Ah... Sorry about that. The logs are definitive but the recording of the playback is far easier to ...

Nothing to be sorry about (I should have said flight record). I agree with you and glad to share information with everyone.

Rich
2015-11-26
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-11-26 21:11
Thanks for you nice comments. We try hard to share what we learn,  see the link below for a third  ...

Seen it Rich,

Not needed for my hobby use, 4 batteries and 2 Dji chargers do's me at this time.

Thanks anyway.
Mike.
2015-11-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Grimtheviking Posted at 2015-11-26 14:35
Seen it Rich,

Not needed for my hobby use, 4 batteries and 2 Dji chargers do's me at this time.

Hey Grim

understood, it is pretty spendy for the average user.  Take a look at some of the other ways you can drain your batteries down:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phan ... :g:a0MAAOSwiCRUjoxS

Rich

2015-11-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-11-26 18:23
Yeah, serious issues like this do need to be addressed and although I've no intention of giving awa ...

Paul

I am reading your post and suddenly bust out laughing    now that is funny... Call me up and I can come out to watch

Rich
2015-11-26
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

Really interesting post... thanks guys.... sounds like there is a inconsistency in the way the batteries discharge themselves.... and the readings can not be trusted if the battery is left standing for a length of time ... i have also heard of fully charged batteries (4 in all)  being left for a number of days, all showed 80%... when put on charge some charged in 20min and other's up to 60min... personally i have not experienced this problem... some of my batteries have over 130 charges and work fine.... i guess flying every day helps....
2015-11-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

skycam Posted at 2015-11-26 22:42
Really interesting post... thanks guys.... sounds like there is a inconsistency in the way the batte ...

Yes, it is nice information to know and like anything.... lots of variables can throw a wrench into our plans. Just be careful and do not take these batteries for granted. The technology will get better as time goes on and I believe that some new battery chemistry is just around the corner... I hear this will change everything again, just like LiPos did a few years ago.

Rich
2015-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules