Firmware update issues
1316 13 2015-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

I received my new P3P and Mac Mini 4.
I wanted to make sure all the firmware is up to date. After charging the battery and controller fully I proceded to do the following.

I removed the sd card the P3P came with and inserted a new 64GB card. I formated the card with the Go App and that was successful. All good.

I downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the P3P and placed the folowoing file in the root directory. The SD card has a DCIM folder and NOW the following FW file:

P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin      66.1 MB

I then, following instructions both on video and .PDF, put the card back into the gimble slot on P3P and started the bird. I heard the beeps, the gimble moved around then seated, and i assumed I was in the update process. However, while reading and watching the videos they said the camera light should be alternating between red and green. When I first turned on the P3P it turned red than green and has stayed green from then on. Arrrrghhh!

So now i have no clue if its actually updating or not. It's been 30 minutes and I will let it go further but at this point I have a feeling something didn't take correctly and the bird is just sitting there running but not actually updating anything.

The big question here is how long do I wait? I know shutting gear down during a firmware update is not wise. But again, the lack of the red and green alternating camera light leads me to believe its not updating anyway.

Anybody else go through this? Suggestions anyone?

Off to a bad start...

Craig
2015-11-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Cobbler,

If the light went solid green, I'd say it didn't start the upgrade. Have you checked to see what version you are on now? Also, There should be a text file on the root of the SD card. Open it and see what it says.

Jerry
2015-11-23
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-11-23 20:47
Cobbler,

If the light went solid green, I'd say it didn't start the upgrade. Have you checked to se ...

I removed the 16GB card it came with originally as I wanted to upgrade it with the 64GB card.

I followed all the instructions on the PDF included in the download. I watched the videos as well and I did everything according to them. It just didn't start the update. I'll give it another 15 mins and hurt her down.

Maybe I'll put back the original card and make sure everything runs then try to update to the larger card after. It all I can think of at this moment. Possibly a bad download of the firmware file.

Can anyone verify that the file I posted in my original post is the one that should be residing on the SD card root drive?
2015-11-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-23 22:52
I removed the 16GB card it came with originally as I wanted to upgrade it with the 64GB card.

I f ...

Cobbler,

Yes, that's the correct .bin file. What version are you on now? Did you check the text file? It will tell you if it attempted to do anything. Copy the contents of that text file on your next post.

Jerry
2015-11-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-23 22:52

I f ...

Cobbler,

The text file will be named P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt, the contents will look something like this:

Delete history success.

Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Jerry
2015-11-23
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-11-23 20:56
Cobbler,

Yes, that's the correct .bin file. What version are you on now? Did you check the text f ...

Ok... putting on the dunce cap and heading to the corner of the room.

Apparently the P3P was already at the latest version. It would be nice if there was a way to see what FW version your P3P is at on the Go App. Maybe it shows somewhere but I couldn't find it. Edit: I'll keep that dunce cap on a little longer now that I found the "about" page and it clearly shows the versions of the bird, controller, and app. Doooohhhh!

Looking at the text file, and thanks for telling me that gets updated, it states:

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

So basically it was just sitting there waiting for me to fly it.

Thanks jtrjr!

Craig
2015-11-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-23 23:10
Ok... putting on the dunce cap and heading to the corner of the room.

Apparently the P3P was alrea ...

Craig,

If you go to "about" in the DJI Go App menu it will tell you what versions are currently on your bird and controller. Glad you're ready to go. Good luck and have fun flying!

Jerry
2015-11-23
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-11-23 21:15
Craig,

If you go to "about" in the DJI Go App menu it will tell you what versions are currently o ...

Hahahahaha, Was just editing my above post about finding the "about" page.

Thanks again for your patience. Total newbie here but with 35 years in IT I should have found that earlier. I guess I am too excited to get this thing off the ground

Again, thanks for your input!

Craig
2015-11-23
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

cobbler Posted at 2015-11-23 23:19
Hahahahaha, Was just editing my above post about finding the "about" page.

Thanks again for your  ...

You bring up a good point Craig, whether you realize it or not. There have been several P3 users who have had failed FW updates due to a poor downloaded file (corrupt). I would like it if DJI would publish the MD5 hash for each file so that we could verify the file before attempting to update our quads with a possibly corrupt download.

Dave, Tim, Patrick, what do you think? Would it be too much to ask for that, or do you think it would bring about more complication than the process already is for some folks?
2015-11-23
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

gas.tube Posted at 2015-11-23 21:32
You bring up a good point Craig, whether you realize it or not. There have been several P3 users w ...

I would hope their updating process doesn't actually attempt the write if the checksum verification fails. But it would be nice to verify prior to trying no doubt.

It would not hurt to have some indication like multiple blinking of the red light to indicate an abort so numbskulls like myself dont sit there for 45 mins afraid to pull the plug on what they think is an update in progress sans the red/green/red blinking. This is really no big deal now that I know how it works but I can see where newbies like myself today can get confused.
Played around with the simulator mode tonight and am looking forward to first flight tomorrow!

Thanks guys for taking to time to school me. It's much appreciated!

Craig
2015-11-23
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

Wanted to again thank everyone who helped me get started. Batteries are charged, firmware is up to date on controller and bird. I spent some time familiarizing myself with the DJI Go App and simulator function within.

Got her all packed up and was planning on heading out to a wide open area for first flight toda then the wind started blowing pretty hard. I'm thinking tempting fate on a first flight in winds isn't a bright move. Clearly by looking at her, my puppy Roxy was disappointed.

2015-11-24
Use props
sulmor
New

United Kingdom

Hello folks... very frustrating night here... tried for hours to update my phantom 3 Pro.. with firmware P3X_FW_V01.05.0030.bin. used 1.5 batteries and the red light didnt go off... formatted the SD card 4 times... checked every youtube video... on the subject...  just cant get the phantom to update! :-S Thanks in Advance.

Just update: when I shut down the phantom.. after over an hour camera light flashing red.. and restarted it without the SD card in place the red light still flashes!

No progress...Any ideas folks?  Thanks in advance
2015-11-26
Use props
cobbler
lvl.1

United States

sulmor Posted at 2015-11-26 16:27
Hello folks... very frustrating night here... tried for hours to update my phantom 3 Pro.. with firm ...

I was able to update to to 1.5 last night.

Maybe try to download the FW again? Maybe your file got corrupted or downloaded the wrong version? The light should blink green and red throught the process.

Have you seen this thread? It's very informative.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-35873-1-1.html

2015-11-26
Use props
sulmor
New

United Kingdom

Thank You very much for this info... It turns out that just I was corrupting the file after download and extraction, by simply not ejecting the card properly...Newbie :-S.
2015-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules