46193 75 2015-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nabzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353310 ft
Switzerland

hi all

has anyone went to Duabi with their Phantom 3 ?

I will be going on Wednesday and I want to take it with .
2016-1-25
Use props
atomic-junky
New

Germany

Great posts, i will fly with my P3P via Dubai to New Zealand and Australia and will let you know, how it went.
2016-1-25
Use props
longez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17881 ft

United States

1/24/16  HKG >>   SFO   P3Pro, 4 batteries  in a DJI hard case backpack,  United Airlines
1/24        SFO  >>   DEN    "              "                 "              "               "                "
1/24        DEN  >>  MSO   "             "                 "               "              "                 "

No one gave it a second look - I was surprised.
2016-1-26
Use props
keitha101
New

Ecuador

Just traveled from Bellingham, WA to Seattle, WA, to San Diego, CA, to Orlando, FL, to Panama, then to Guayaquil, Ecuador.  Ecuador customs confiscated my drone with case and all contents.  They said I could leave the country with the drone immediately, I could pay a $709 tax or they would confiscate it for five days, at which time I would need to leave the country with drone in hand.  No problems anywhere but Ecuador.  Just an FYI.  They gave NO coherent explanation why.   
2016-1-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

keitha101@comca Posted at 2016-1-27 08:06
Just traveled from Bellingham, WA to Seattle, WA, to San Diego, CA, to Orlando, FL, to Panama, then  ...

The worst part is no explanation given at all... It's like they just want it to be like this
2016-1-26
Use props
johnrae
lvl.1
United States

Have gone all over US with Phantom 3- no problem- must carry on batteries.

10/2015   JFK>Beijing>Manila>Cebu> Manila> Beijing> JFK no problem- must carry on batteries.

10/2015 EWR> Belize City no problem- must carry on batteries

11/2015 JFK> Munich> Canary Islands> Madrid> JFK no problem- must carry on batteries

1/2015 JFK> Beijing> Busan, South Korea> Seoul> Tokyo> JFK no problems- must carry on barrettes
2016-1-31
Use props
djricaric
lvl.1

United States

Anyone have any experience flying to the Philippines and going through Customs with your Phantom?
2016-2-9
Use props
marybeth417
New
United States

jwallen543@yaho Posted at 2015-12-7 23:18
any one fly in to Cancun, Mexico? or any part of Mexico?

DId you get through to Mexico OK? Going to Cozumel in 2 weeks and would like to take my P3.
2016-2-23
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

nabzo@me.com Posted at 2016-1-26 14:51
hi all

I read some place where someone took a Phantom to Duabi. I want to say they flew from the U.K. if that matters. Anyhow, people have had issues but it's doable. Duabl has some interesting drone rules too, so look that up as well.
2016-2-23
Use props
Silver Aztec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20600384 ft
  • >>>
United States

marybeth417 Posted at 2016-2-24 03:33
DId you get through to Mexico OK? Going to Cozumel in 2 weeks and would like to take my P3.

Hey I went to Mexico City on December of last year came back to the US at the end January with out issues I landed in Mexico City no questions ask but there is a push bottom that u have to push and if the light turns on red they will check all ur luggage but I got green light ;)
2016-2-28
Use props
marybeth417
New
United States

Silver Aztec Posted at 2016-2-28 10:14
Hey I went to Mexico City on December of last year came back to the US at the end January with out ...

Thanks! I made it to Cozumel and back with no problems. They did search it, but were more interested in how it works and what I use it for than anything else.
2016-3-14
Use props
theuy.vanmol
New

Has anyone tried flying Ryanair with the drone, i am flying from UK to Spain this week just wondering if anyone had an issue with that?
THanks
2016-3-21
Use props
Jorge.smith
New
Flight distance : 262152 ft
Mexico

I have flown 3 united Airlines flights with my P4, HOU-MCO-ORD-MEX in all of them  TSA hold me and ask me all about the P4, not actually the batteries (3) in all of them i get thru without a problem, just don't forget adding a extra time for inspection and check with the airline their rules with LiPos, check the FAA regulation here http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
2016-4-9
Use props
reubenphotograp
New

Malta

Seb Posted at 2015-11-25 11:02
1. Summer 2015
2. Gdańsk, Poland - Rome, Italy and back
3. Drone with battery inside and four addit ...

is the manfrotto bag a D1 please ?
2016-4-25
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Hey all, has anyone taken their birds within Indonesia? Bali for example? Need to know how the local airliners and the security guys treat our hobby. I appreciate any thoughts. Cheers!
2016-5-25
Use props
sukoshi
lvl.2

1. December 2015
2. Kansai Airport (KIX)
3. Inspire 1
4. 3*TB48 1*TB47
5. everything but the batteries were checked in, batteries left with me in my hand luggage, charged <30%; No issue.
2016-5-25
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

I wanted to bump this thread.

Outside of airports....

1. Has anyone had any problems flying in foreign countries (outside the US)?
2. Where have you flown outside the US?
3. Do we have to register our drones internationally, similar to the FAA?
4. Best way to research quadcopter usage in foreign countries? Good websites and data collectors?
2016-6-3
Use props
quint7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518455 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew from Long Beach, CA to SLC Utah on Jet Blue with two batteries in a canvas style Phantom backpack. Left it zipped up and just put it through TSA check. No one blinked an eye.

(That being said, I for whatever reason I ended up with a TSA pre-check ticket this time around. Which seems to happen here and there randomly.)

Q
2016-6-4
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Flew WestJet from Canada to Cancun in May 2016.  P3P + 4 batteries in the DJI hard shell backpack as carry on.  No issues at either end.  Batteries were fully charged going down but for some reason were empty coming home.  Stayed at a resort out of the hotel jungle thus had lots of flying room.
2016-6-5
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Has anyone flown to Greece?  I may be stopping there in the fall.  I will be using Delta.
2016-6-5
Use props
danmen
New

Austria

Hello all!
Can anyone help me with information? I am taking a plane from Austria (Europe, not Australia) to L.A. in a fortnight and will be spending 4 weeks going round the national parks in the southwest. I will be flying back from Salt Lake City.
I plan to bring my Phantom 4 with me if in any way possible, but this also raises several important questions.
1)  Will I have any trouble bringing the drone into the U.S. and flying it legally?
1a) Research on the internet, as far as I could manage, shows that the FAA requires you to register your drone in the U.S. since January this year. I could´nt access the registration website from here. Other posters in this thread have stated that I would only be able to register once I landed in the U.S.. Since I will only be spending a day in L.A.  before going into the wild where I will mostly be camping and have a full programm for that singe day in L.A., any suggestions on how to proceed for registration? I have no idea where I would have easy access to a printer or whatever else I might need to register and be able to provide proof of registration if necessary?
1b) As far as I could glean, the FAA will also require some kind of  pilot certification to fly drones like my P 4 from August 28th onwards. Since I am flying back on August 22nd, this should not apply to me, but it still concerns me that the proximity in time to that date might cause some kind of trouble with over-eager authorities. Any ideas on this from the community?
1c) Having a reliable answer to 1a) and 1b) is essential to me. I have no intention of having my drone confiscated or transgressing the law in the U.S.. Siince I will be flying back from a different airport than the one I will be arriving at, leaving the drone in a locker or with authorities at the airport for the duration my stay in case of difficulties upon arrival will not be an option either. I tried calling the U.S. consulate in Vienna for advice, but they had no knowledge or inclination to help at all.  
2) Provided I am safe regarding 1),  Will I have to expect any difficulties flying the drone in most National or state Park or Monument  areas or other commmon tourist locations I would be wanting to visit? What should I look out for or be expecting in this regard?
3) As stated I will be hiking and camping in a tent a lot and will be wanting to travel a light as possible. I expect to come up with a lot of footage. Aside from bringing several 64GB SD-Cards, has anyone got a good suggestion of  how to got about storing all that data? Bringing a laptop and an external HDD might be problematic because of possible difficulties with the power  supply while camping. I will be using the car charger to power up the P4. Still, a small laptop and external HDD might be the best option if a power supply is sufficiently accessible on most National Park campgrounds. Any ideas or suggestions form the community here?
4) I would be taking 3 P 4 batteries.  Which lipo bag should I buy for the flights and should I get that certification document on the saftey of flying with lipo batteries which keeps popping up in certain threads on the topic of travelling with drones? If so, can anyone provide a good link?
5) I am bringing my P4 in the DJI hard case. Check-in or hand-luggage? Does the bag fit hand luggage requirements?

Many thanks in advance to the community for being supportive in answering my questions! I hope I will be able to resolve them and take my drone. I will also be happy to share my  experiences on my return for others to profit.  
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

danmen Posted at 2016-7-12 18:28
Hello all!
Can anyone help me with information? I am taking a plane from Austria (Europe, not Austra ...

1b only applies to commercial use, not recreational flyers.
2.  Expect trouble if you try to fly in any US national parks and some other areas.
Many are off limits for drone flying
4.  No lipo bags necessary - no airline or authority ask that you have them.
5.  Batteries must be in your carry-on luggage.  Only check the P4 in if you trust the baggage handlers to be gentle and you feel the case is bullet proof.
2016-7-12
Use props
xDeepS
New

India

rolexian Posted at 2015-11-25 13:28
So I have several experiences to share:

All done with a DJI3 Phantom Pro. One battery, always with  ...

I was flying to AMD from DXB and they "detained" my drone. They never returned it. I see you had luck getting through MUM customs, could you maybe reach out to me or leave a way for me to email/message you since this forum doesnt allow PMs. Like I have a little hope now.
2016-8-16
Use props
ayya1197
New

Maldives

I traveled from Male' City,  Ibrahim nasir International Airport to India, Kochin International Airport on 7th September 2016 . Flight :Number: SG 92 Spice Jet, aircraft BOMBARDIER Q400. as my hand luggage is  OSMO with 2 Batteries, One Phantom 4 with 2 batteries packed in original hard back pack. At Male Airport spice jet check-in counter they ask me to put theses stuff underneath  luggage. but i convince them according to my knowledge it is much safer to carry in hand. they passed me and i travelled to India without any problem. But on return 12th September 2016 to travel in same aircraft same airline hold me in India Kochi International Airport.

First they demand cannot be carried as hand luggage. I gently explained them the difference to carry Lipo batteries in hand bag and underneath luggage , after that they again said it cannot be passed either way. Here I get upset and i told them the manufacture is no where instruct that this is a restricted equipment. if confiscate this who is responsible for this. and i took it your country without any rejection  and i m back  to my home how could you hold it. they said its a custom matter. so now I demanded  whether its security or custom matter, the matter is over I'm back to my home at any cost you have to release it. finally they advise me not bring it again to India. These fellows don't know today tourism is different.  such drones are going to be like camera or other essential equipment.

Can any one tell me what kind of problem they had experienced like this to enter India?
2016-9-14
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

danmen Posted at 2016-7-12 04:28
Hello all!
Can anyone help me with information? I am taking a plane from Austria (Europe, not Austra ...

http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
List your drone while in the country. Go to the website, registration section. Please read and follow the flight rules that apply to non-commercial use. Remember that the use of drones without permission of the administration of parks is prohibited in many national parks. Wish you luck!
2016-9-16
Use props
fans7522c071
New

Switzerland

Hi there,

Anyone arrived at Cairo Airport or Khartoum Airport with a Mavic Pro?

2017-1-30
Use props
Th3Chi3f
New

United Kingdom

nabzo@me.com Posted at 2016-1-25 22:51
hi all

how did you get on flying to Dubai with your drone last year?
I  will be arriving in the UAE by ship as a crew member and flying home from either Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I am rather concerned about getting home with my phantom 3. I have read a mixture of reports about flying into the UAE but not so much about flying out.

2017-2-6
Use props
fansf5930789
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1031952 ft
Indonesia

I had a very bad experience with AirAsia D7 183 when I flew back from New Delhi to Jakarta, Indonesia via Kuala Lumpur on recent 17 Oct 2016 at 23:10 (I travelled from Jakarta to New Delhi, via Kuala Lumpur on 10 Oct 2016 by the same airline, AirAsia).

The issue started when I had a problem with the New Delhi airport security when they did not allow me to carry my Quadcopter & Bag (DJI Phantom 3 Pro-with 3 LiPo 68Wh batteries inside a special Quadcopter bag for DJI Phantom 3 Pro with 3 special holes to hold the 3 batteries individually) into the cabin.

I tried to argue the case since the batteries should be ok as per IATA. But the airport security told me that the batteries should stay in the airport where I could take them back when I came back. But I told them that I would not come back soon. Then the security asked me to call AirAsia staff to come to the security desk. When the AirAsia staff came, I have explained to him that as I understood according to IATA that the Quadcopter & its batteries should be brought into the cabin not check-in baggage. But the AirAsia staff told me that he could handle it and those thing should be in the baggage and he passed my Quadcopter & Bag to another AirAsia staff to be put in check-in baggage (after this it seemed no more issue with the Quadcopter & Bag).

But just about near the boarding time, my friend and I (I travelled in a group of 10 people where all the baggages were named under my friend's name, including the Quadcopter & Bag) were rushed accompanied by another AirAsia staff to the Baggage Security downstair (I recon it was the last security check point for any baggage). The Baggage security requested me to unlock the Quadcopter Bag. When seeing the batteries they said that the 3 batteries could not go but the quadcopter OK. The 3 batteries were handed over to the AirAsia staff.

Due to limited time, I requested AirAsia staff (both to the staff who accompanied us into the Baggage Security and the staff in the boarding desk) to keep the batteries for me in AirAsia office in the airport because I was about requesting someone in New Delhi to pick up the batteries the next morning (it was midnight already).

Unfortunately, I was very sad and shocked that both of them said they would not do that for their customer. I had to to take that disappointment since it was boarding time (I still expected they would still have the batteries the next morning when someone in NewDelhi helps me to pick up the batteries).

The next morning (18 Oct 2016), when someone who helped me to pick up the batteries in the AirAsia counter/office, AirAsia staff over there requested him to comeback the next day since the staff who was on duty on 17 Oct was off that day.

On 19 Oct 2016, I have been informed by my friend in New Delhi that the batteries had been dumped/trashed (Confiscated by AirPort Security).

1. Is this they way airline treats their customer? Did I requested extraordinary (unjustified) help from the airline?
Note: at that night, near the boarding time, another European passenger who had the same problem with his Quadcopter was arguing with the AirAsia Boarding gate Staff. But the Quadcopter n Bag was still in Security. And I had confirmation from him (by email) that his friend got the Quadcopter n Bag back the next day from AirAsia.

2. If AirAsia would not able to help their passenger, could they just give the batteries to the Airport Security registered under my name (passenger name) as the other passenger where the passenger or on behalf would be able to pick it up later on.

3. The batteries are expensive ones for me, even more expensive than the AirAsia return ticket I bought for Jakarta-NewDelhi v.v. Don't they consider this?

4. This battery issue would not happen in Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur or Japan. In Kuala Lumpur airport even there was announcement board saying battery below 100 Wh is allowed.

5. Is there away I can get compensation from AirAsia since I lost the batteries due to their Ground Staff mistake.
2017-4-19
Use props
djiuser_3YfxT5v
New

Australia

Does anyone know if I declare my drone in Egypt and they confiscate it will I get it back? I've tried calling the aviation authority for permission but they have no idea
2017-7-26
Use props
fans235c2e12
New
Flight distance : 95344 ft
Malaysia

Hi..i al travelling to new zealand this thursday...anyone know if 1 high cap battery and 2 normal battery is allowed on airasia from kl to Auckland and then flying jetstar to Christchurch...
2017-8-6
Use props
Victor Lim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 172346 ft
Malaysia

any issue if i fly from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) to Melbourne (Australia), vice versa?

gear will be full set mavic pro fly more combo
2017-9-24
Use props
fansad1d184b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5650 ft
United States

Prometheus Xex Posted at 2015-11-25 11:41
Has anyone checked in the DJI hardshell case as carry on? I'm flying from Toronto to St. Lucia.

I have while traveling within the State of Alaska. It fit just fine on a 737 Alaska Airlines overhead.
2017-9-24
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys

Im flying to Hong Kong Dec 3 from London Heathrow BA anyone had any issues? (I have a unique situation mind so wanted some brains on the matter), I have ordered a Mavic Pro Platinum Combo and its at my hotel waiting for me! But my impatience for it to arrive I bought a Spark Combo with an extra battery, I was planning on taking the Spark out with me and then will be bringing back the Mavic and Spark)

What do guys think is the best plan check the spark and mavic with a battery each and then me take 2 batteries and the other half take the other 2 on the way back?

I'm also going to NYC end of Jan with Virgin and was gonna take either Mavic or Spark (im fine with registering with TSA if required)

I will update on the HK flight when I get back but if anyone has any tips (BA state)

Hand Luggage - Lipo up to 100WH Kept in device, Max 4 spares per person (incl power banks) kept in original packing or isolated (so insulation tape over the contacts solves this)
Checked Luggage - Kept in device, no spares

2017-11-26
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2017-11-26 12:54
Hi Guys

Im flying to Hong Kong Dec 3 from London Heathrow BA anyone had any issues? (I have a unique situation mind so wanted some brains on the matter), I have ordered a Mavic Pro Platinum Combo and its at my hotel waiting for me! But my impatience for it to arrive I bought a Spark Combo with an extra battery, I was planning on taking the Spark out with me and then will be bringing back the Mavic and Spark)

Hi All update on this

I flew from London Heathrow to Hong Kong with a spark and 3 batteries had no issues (I put one batt on the spark and the other 2 in my hand luggage and wasn't questioned at all)

I bought a Mavic Plat Pro Combo back as well and did the same thing and had no issues at all, mavic in checked luggage with one batt and spare batts in hand luggage (I did drain them before hand to be safe left them with 25%) did the same for the spark just let the other half carry the spare batts in hand luggage as there is a limit of 3 per person for BA which includes power banks and camera batteries) I had a power bank, a gopro 5 with 2 additional batts)

Watched the security guys inspect my hand luggage and they didn't really look much probably though they were camera batteries maybe? Id understand hassle with the blades from a Phantom on board as they could be uses as a weapon I guess (no more than Economy class knives though!)

I read up on it and it seems its the batteries that are the issue mostly which is why you have to carry in hand luggage (silly though as you can have one in the checked luggage, and it only takes one!)

I think if I were going somewhere perhaps less westernised I might see I could get a letter from the airline to say if I can carry

Only problem I had was a guy saying he didn't want me to fly at the beach we were at (Big Wave Bay Hong Kong even though 2 Chinese guy's had been flying a Mavic and spark all morning with far less regard for others on the beach than myself!

2017-12-12
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SAFrankSU Posted at 2016-6-3 13:13
I wanted to bump this thread.

Outside of airports....

Flew an MPP and Spark in Hongkong, flew MPP from the hotel pool deck out over the bay with no issues (hotel staff were fine (I did ask the GM out of courtesy).

Flew the spark on Big Wave Bay in HK and got told I wasn't allowed! (strange though as there were 2 guys with a Spark and Mavic flying in the same spot before me and they didn't get told to stop (I let them finish before I started) but otherwise no issues.

If you don't look like you are making a nuisance most people I've encountered as quite interested!
2018-2-5
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

London to JFK 2018 with MPP no issues (didn't get to fly it in the end as the weather was snowing or -7 Degrees C or rain on the days I had planned it!) FAA outbound were not bothered I just packed the drone in the suitcase in the middle well packaged and the batts in my hand luggage discharged to 1 bar/light)
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules