3145 10 2014-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hmerkel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2307995 ft
United States

New product for DJI S900 and S1000

Pretty cool design, I am sure there will be a lot of whining that this not availiable for the Inspire 1 yet (or at all).

http://www.dji.com/product/dropsafe
2014-12-25
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

have you seen the mars 58 unit? not sure if it will work with the inspire though.
     http://www.marsparachutes.com/mars-58/
i have a friend who used to be a pilot and thinks i am bing silly about looking into a parachute..maybe i am but this baby is heavy and would not be fixable from a crash from altitude.(at least it would not be cheap if even possible)
2014-12-25
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

s.s.gibbs1@gmai Posted at 2014-12-26 14:10
have you seen the mars 58 unit? not sure if it will work with the inspire though.
     http://www.ma ...

I don't know how you would mount the DropSafe to the I1.
It requires a flat top plate...
2014-12-26
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

you never know DJI might retrofit it on some way but I wont be holding my breath, but I do encourage DJI to make a Safety Chute for the Inspire 1 due to its price to at least help a fall out of the sky, but ill probably be retired by then.
2014-12-26
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-12-26 22:28
I don't know how you would mount the DropSafe to the I1.
It requires a flat top plate...

While it would be a simple task to mount a parachute recovery system as a replacement for the fairing just forward of the battery, it is not at all necessary to mount it on top.  The advantage of top mounting is deployment in the direction of the final rescue orientation, allowing for initiation closer to the ground.  The parachute system could just as easily be mounted underneath, with the harness attached above.  It would simply require a higher deployment altitude.  That is not the larger issue, however.  Weight is.  

At 550 grams, the DropSafe system would increase the Inspire 1's weight by 19%, increasing energy consumption and therefore reducing flight time by 14% which would lower the Inspire 1's flight time from 18/22 minutes to roughly 15/18 minutes based on weight alone.  Aerodynamic penalties should the unit stick out into the airstream would increase battery consumption and reduce flight time even further.

The DropSafe system is designed to safely lower the massive maximum takeoff weight of the 11 kg S1000+.  At 2.935 kg, the Inspire 1 weighs 27% of that, so it is perfectly reasonable to assume that an Inspire 1 specific parachute system at a bit more than 1/3 the volume and weight would be a better solution.

The lightest commercially available CO2 cartridge weighs 56 grams and contains 16 grams of CO2, which I assume is what DJI uses for their DropSafe system.  Taking this as a granted, we can assume that the remaining 494 grams of the system are scaleable.  A single squib (1/3 the DropSafe 3 squib system) with 1/3 the canopy area and line weight of the DropSafe system would provide equivalent or better protection than the DropSafe system provides the S1000+ at a weight of ~ 221 grams, which is 8% of the Inspire 1's weight, increasing energy consumption and reducing flight time by only 6% yielding only a one minute penalty resulting in flight times of 17/21 minutes.

Based only upon observations of DJI's previous brilliance in just about every aspect of the hardware that enables us to take reliable images in safe conditions, I cannot help but believe that they have such a system already in the works.  Why else would they have provided unused, faired volume on top to the aircraft so close to the center of gravity?

If not, it is a significant opportunity for you entrepreneurs out there to design and build an aftermarket solution.  Place it here:

Suggested Recovery Chute System Location

Suggested Recovery Chute System Location

2014-12-26
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

ultraturtle Posted at 2014-12-27 10:39
While it would be a simple task to mount a parachute recovery system as a replacement for the fair ...

Great write up ultraturtle, I watched the video a couple of times and I think the DJI dropsafe looks way big, I know its made for a heavier craft.
I'm still interested in what to see what comes from of this idea. I know I hope for my inspire 1 to be around for a long time and hope I will never need it but will be glad to have it.
Thanks for all the great information you shared
2014-12-26
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

My bad, but 8 gram CO2 cartridges are also commercially available and weigh a little over half the 16 gram version used in the DropSafe.  That would make the efficiency even better, enabling a less than 200 gram system in a more compact form factor.  7% weight increase would mean a 5% consumption increase (or flight time reduction) for less than a minute flight time penalty.
2014-12-26
Use props
Koavog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1359800 ft
United States

At around $900 for the unit its a bit pricy. i know its a good insurance policy, but I'll take my chances...I'm sure we'll see an after market product (specific to the Inspire) at a much more reasonable price.
2014-12-27
Use props
johanmfr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7046667 ft
  • >>>
France

hello everybody, actually i work on dropsafe for INSPPIRE1, have you idea or by which software , i can program failsafe for stop rotors and open dropsafe....because wiith DJI APP PILOT, i can do nothing.....i wait your feedback thanks
2015-3-16
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Why not talk to DJI? They might be interested in your product or at least
they can provide you with the SDK.
2015-3-16
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4