Flying in Rain, Snow, Cold Temps
1139 4 2015-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roofman
lvl.1

United States

Just bought a Standard today.  The manual said can be flown down to freezing temp, yet I hear of people flying them in realy cold temps in northern climates. Does the air get to thin to fly them correctly?

And I would think the props would spray water or snow on the camera lens?  If so, would the sun guard prevent that?  Regardless of the camera, does flying in moisture mess up the quad itself somehow?
2015-11-26
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

Hi roofman
It's great you have a Phantom. Good question about the cold. Seems most of the temperature restriction is related to the battery as the LiPo battey isn't able to produce full current in very cold temperatures.
There is a "sticky" at the top of the forum about this.
In cold temperatures the air is actually not thinner, it's more dense.
Flying with high moisture content maybe dangerous especially in cold weather.
Some problems would be chance of icing on the props , also water on the props.
Both may reduce "lift" as it disturbs the air flow across them. The loss of lift can cause a non controlled descent(read crash)
2015-11-26
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

oops forgot to to click the reply button
2015-11-26
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
The danger of flight in cold weather mainly caused by the battery . You can take this thread as a refference: http://forum.dji.com/thread-35249-1-1.html
Flying in moisture is not recommended because the shells are breathable . The mositure might damage some units inside .
2015-11-26
Use props
roofman
lvl.1

United States

I would suppose that if the battery was warm on take off there would be no problem then?   I would think it would go dead before even getting cold.  
2015-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules