Phantom 3 Pro - Motor Failure
4236 16 2015-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doug.upthink
lvl.2
Flight distance : 861621 ft
United States

While landing my P3Pro on Wednesday evening during a sunset flight, I noticed an unusual sound. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that one of the motors was on the verge of complete failure. It appears that it started to unwind itself. The motor was in normal condition when I performed my preflight inspection. It's slightly alarming to think that I was flirting with disaster while in the air...

Pictures below.

I have 194 safe flights w/ 20 hours and 43 minutes of flight time on this P3Pro since purchasing the quad in late July 2015.

Although this should be a warranty claim w/ DJI, I opted to personally disassemble the entire quad yesterday morning. I removed all 4 motors and will be replacing all of them.

While doing my own repair (so I don't get stuck waiting weeks/months with a DJI claim) I also discovered that 3 out of 4 of my main board mounts had cracked off the battery housing / main board mounting platform somewhere along the way. Luckily, the rest of my P3Pro body didn't have any cracking in the usual places that seem to get most users (i.e. on the motor mounts, etc). The unlucky part is that this is the ONE part DJI doesn't sell. I redesigned the part in Cinema4D and I'm currently in the process of printing it on my Ultimaker 2 today. If anyone from DJI is reading this, please PM me if you have an OEM replacement you could send my way.

Has anyone else had a Phantom 3 motor go out like this? p3_motor2.JPG p3_motor1.JPG

2015-11-27
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

can you post a picture from under the motor,  is the C clip in place ?

has the bearing failed ?
2015-11-27
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-11-27 14:01
can you post a picture from under the motor,  is the C clip in place ?

has the bearing failed ?

The bearing and C clip are still in place. It appears that the mount was machined deeper than it should have been and the bearing has started to pull out by pushing deeper in somehow. In this image, the damaged motor is on the LEFT. A good motor is on the RIGHT. Both still work, but the bad motor is obviously super wonky due to how it has managed to deform itself. Very strange.

2015-11-27
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i guess that hole goes all the way through to the top bearings, so it seems the bearing is pressed in and its not against anything,
2015-11-27
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-11-27 14:22
i guess that hole goes all the way through to the top bearings, so it seems the bearing is pressed i ...

You're probably right. I would imagine the design would include an inner lip to prevent the bearing from pushing in like that. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue? Could it be why DJI has revised their motor mounts in the new 2312A design on all new P3's?
2015-11-27
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

doug.upthink Posted at 2015-11-27 19:34
You're probably right. I would imagine the design would include an inner lip to prevent the bearin ...

TBH i have not seen it posted across anywhere else so its looks to be a unusual failure,

could be worth stripping the motor to see whats behind that bearing
2015-11-27
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I'd try getting some Loctite cylindrical locker and the primer, wet the surface below the bearing and slowly push in the shaft to get back to the correct height.

You'd be looking for Loctite 609. Intended for bearing close fit installations.
2015-11-27
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

Are you going to disassemble the bad motor? If you do, could you please post pictures of that also. I'm interested because I'm a machinist.
2015-11-27
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Doug
Sorry about that . Please contact American support center for that : http://www.dji.com/support?www=v1 .
2015-11-29
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-11-29 22:29
Hi , Doug
Sorry about that . Please contact American support center for that : http://www.dji.com/su ...

Support request submitted. Thank you.
2015-11-30
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

doug.upthink Posted at 2015-12-1 01:09
Support request submitted. Thank you.

You are welcome !
2015-12-1
Use props
artmanmike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5246 ft

Could you tell me what the outcome from DJI was on this? I had a motor fail causing a crash and they are blaming aftermarket props
2018-5-11
Use props
fanscda56185
New

India

doug.upthink Posted at 2015-11-27 11:12
The bearing and C clip are still in place. It appears that the mount was machined deeper than it should have been and the bearing has started to pull out by pushing deeper in somehow. In this image, the damaged motor is on the LEFT. A good motor is on the RIGHT. Both still work, but the bad motor is obviously super wonky due to how it has managed to deform itself. Very strange.

[view_image]

Will you please help me regarding p3 pro ccw motor ,i need one motor .if you have any spare of 2312 ccw motor please let me know.am using am p3 after 4 years since its crashed .now i need one ccw motor .pls let me know in jkjvisual@gmail.com
2021-12-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2543209 ... SwDAddYnvX#shpCntId
2021-12-7
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Where are you fanscda56185? Plenty of 2312 motors around, especially on Ebay.

2021-12-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

cheddar-man Posted at 12-8 00:44
Where are you fanscda56185? Plenty of 2312 motors around, especially on Ebay.

By the way, the motors are all the same. To change the direction of rotation just swap two wires over.

Sorry but that isn't correct due to the prop thread differences.  
2021-12-8
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-8 05:23
Sorry but that isn't correct due to the prop thread differences.

Good point - sorry
2021-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules