Marco Polo tracking unit for the inspire one?
2260 8 2014-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chato1974
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2630909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a quick question to the veteran fliers. Do you see apossible issue with flying the Inspire One with a Marco Polo tracking unit onit? I recently lost my Phantom 2 Vision + after overriding the “return to home”due to loss of signal but still Line of Sight. Thinking I could manually fly ithome, I promptly misjudged it’s direction of flight and flew it behind a large row of trees and out of line of sign where I believe the Phantom went into an autolanding sequence (since I overruled it request to return home) when it lost connection. Since I was flying it in myresidential area and my fellow rude Californian neighbors stated they have not seen it. I think they probably sold or traded it for marijuana. An old lady said if it's in her backyard she would throw it away. My contact information isclearly visible on it and I haven’t gotten a phone call.
I was flying it around my house at 150-200ft AGL,
It was 900 ft away (2 streets over), when the last point wasplotted (via “where’s my Phantom” app)
I would appreciate the info concerning this compatibility?

2014-12-25
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

i am sure you don't want to hear this,but that could have been dangerous,flying in an area around houses and people,(t least thats what it sounds like).
   hopefully you will get it back,but i do hope this was a wake up call for you.
    there are quite a few tracking units,gps trackers seem like a good idea to me. i am looking into a couple of them,one of the ones that seems to be ok is here  : http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/
2014-12-25
Use props
Jerry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3675046 ft
United States

s.s.gibbs1@gmai Posted at 2014-12-26 14:24
i am sure you don't want to hear this,but that could have been dangerous,flying in an area around h ...

Based on your post, I just ordered a rf-v16 from Amazon. Thank you
2014-12-26
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

s.s.gibbs1@gmai Posted at 2014-12-26 14:24
i am sure you don't want to hear this,but that could have been dangerous,flying in an area around h ...

Thank you its looks like a wonderful tracking device for its size
2014-12-26
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

I have the Marco Polo because it works more reliably than many GPS trackers and will give several miles of coverage.
2014-12-26
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

The Marco Polo unit looks like an excellent solution to me.  No cellular plan required, no limitations in spotty cellular and/or GPS coverage areas, extremely lightweight, radio frequency that deconflicts with Lightbridge, and longer battery life than GPS solutions.  A directional pointer is a big plus.  

Realistic range of 2000' is ideal, since I cannot safely (and therefore legally) fly that far away in the USA, since I'll loose visual contact well prior.
2014-12-26
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

I might consider at some point but for me its real hard to put the horse before the cart I need to see what up DJI's sleeve for there final release
2014-12-26
Use props
chato1974
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2630909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all for the good information,
I even appreciate the parental "how to fly my drone safer" comment. I have learned a $1,000.00 lesson that will never be repeated. I flew it in my residential area (at 150 -200ft) because I was having Quadcopter withdrawals and had 15 minutes of free flying time before my wife had me busy for the remainder of the day. No excuses, I was inpatients and I paid..

Looks like I'll have a new Marco Polo unit (thanks to your advice) when my Inspire arrives, and I will be flying it in more suitable areas.
2014-12-27
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

chato1974@gmail Posted at 2014-12-28 05:59
Thank you all for the good information,
I even appreciate the parental "how to fly my drone safer" c ...

boy..i feel ya. when i was in my 20's i had been sick in bed for many days and was going stir crazy so i took my dirt bike out on the street and rode a wheelie down the street..and yes,a cop saw me and a chase ensued…reckless driving and evading a peace officer and a strip search and arrest. learned my lesson.
  you got off easy my friend. lol.
   these days i have  better filter. we all need to think before acting..but we are all human so s----t happens.
2014-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules