X5 Camera not producing in focus images after calibration
2240 3 2015-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lennyschway
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1708412 ft
United States

I'm really getting frusterrated getting inconsistant Focused Images from my Inspire 1 Pro X5 Camera with the DJI 15mm Lens.

I am running the latest Inspire 1 Pro FW 1.1.0.40
DJI Go iOS App 2.4.2 (iPad air 2)
Remote Controller FW (Came out around 11/27/2015)

All of my calibration attempts were done at between f1.7 - 2.2 Shutterspeeds were all above 250th sec.

I have tried the Lens Calibration Procedure 4 times now and images are still soft when I use the Auto Focus by tapping on the ipad screen, Green Box highlights and beeps on that spot.

I have pointed the camera at a large high contrast object that is more than 50m away. ( A big Tree and another attempt I tried the side of a Mountain 1/4 mile away) I tap on the object, Green Square highlights it, iPad beeps and the focus scale in the app shows it's focused on infinity.  

After i click OK in the Calibration procedure, I try clicking on other objects at various distances. I can see the object barely go in and out of focus on the ipad screen but it nevers beeps when it looks as though the object is most sharpest. It focus closer or further.

I did a series of tests yesterday clicking on various objects in the scene, Took a Screenshot showing where the Green Square was supposedly focused on and then took a photo from the X5 Camera.  

Nothing anywhere on the shots appeared sharp. Even applying some sharpening in Lightroom just created artifacting.

I've seen these focus issues before on the Canon 5D MKII when it was first released and had Back Focus Issues.

I tried various Focus Peaking settings which just showed things were randomly in focus at different ranges in the scene.

Trying to Manually Focus using the app on my iPad Air 2 is useless. The Image on the screen isn't clear enough to determine if it is in focus.

I'm very dissapointed in the hassle involved trying to get the camera/lens to auto focus correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lenny

2015-11-29
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

1. Check if the camera has been switched to AF and the AF in APP has been enabled.
2. Check if the APP displays "Lens no connected" . If so, power off the aircraft, detach and assemble the camera lens, power on the aircraft. If this doesn't work, please contact DJI tech-support.
3. If the camera is set in M mode, auto focus can't be enabled. Please switch to other modes.
2016-1-8
Use props
djiuser_hdKXcy7ESOPx
New
Flight distance : 989544 ft

Ukraine

I have almost same my x5 camera behaviour with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17 mm f/2.8, i have checked lens on regular lumix camera and it works.
After enable camera it looks  like all file, try to focus on something  - x5 try focusing, lens moved forward’s and backwards like try to get precise focus and mean while says "Lens no connected"
I also try calibrate focus. With manual focus from dji go app it possible to get some focus, but lens behave very strange.
Lenny have you resolved your problem ?
DJI team any suggestion?
Thanks.
2020-2-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_hdKXcy7ESOPx Posted at 2-16 17:08
I have almost same my x5 camera behaviour with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17 mm f/2.8, i have checked lens on regular lumix camera and it works.
After enable camera it looks  like all file, try to focus on something  - x5 try focusing, lens moved forward’s and backwards like try to get precise focus and mean while says "Lens no connected"
I also try calibrate focus. With manual focus from dji go app it possible to get some focus, but lens behave very strange.

Lenny was here 5 years ago, my friend ... Anyway, most of the time with drone and camera that old the problem is with contacts. There is several areas to check and clean contacts. First, the inside of camera where lens is connected with camera body. There you'll find several gold, spring loaded pins. Next are the contacts inside gimbal holder. Finally, the wiring which goes from gimbal to main controller board. My guess is that contacts between lens and camera went bad. Try to put standard DJI 15mm lens to see if the problem is persistent.
2020-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules