Software update 1.5 and vibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
festusxj
lvl.2

United States

Cabralkev Posted at 2016-1-2 16:06
Have you tried performing a cold IMU calibration on a levelled surface?

Yes. I completed good cals after both firmware updates.
2016-1-2
Use props
Menehune
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-3 05:24
I have sent several peoples DAT files to China for evaluation and as far as I know they are lookin ...

Aloha Ken,

Just wanted to report that I just upgraded a P3P from 1.5 to 1.6 and the aircraft is now exhibiting the vibrations that everyone is complaining about in this thread.

The aircraft was fine before the update, and I have accumulated 8:32:00 hours on the aircraft.  I was skeptical of this issue when I saw one of the previous YouTube videos in the above posts, but I now see it clearly for myself.

One thing I did notice that when I looked at the upgrade log for the aircraft and the 3 additional batteries, I noticed that the datestamp on the log file is always reset to 1.1.2014 12:0X AM, with x being the amount of time it took to perform the update.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.05.0030.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.06.0040.bin
Upgrading ...

It looks to me like a bug in the firmware has crept in with some value getting lost or retained where it should not have been.

For example, I never flew the aircraft before upgrading to 1.5, as I wanted the waypoints and POI features from the start.

Your suggestion about reverting to 1.4 and then back to 1.6 makes sense in this case, and when I have the time I will probably try this if the other suggestions don't pan out.

One thing that is irksome is that there is not an easy way to find out how to do all the MC, IMU and Gimbal recalibrations from within this thread.  It would be convenient, but at least it will force people to become more familiar with the device, whether they want to or not.

Can you point to the procedure to acquire a DAT file for review?

Thanks in advance
2016-1-2
Use props
johnpstoll
New

United States

I had the same problem, but mine would start vibrating while sitting on the ground with the rotors turning at idle. The first sign of trouble was a noticeable increase in the RPMs of the rotors at which point it would start to vibrate.  It would start within 30 seconds of the rotors turning. Once it started to oscillate I couldn't stop it unless I shut it down or lifted off the ground.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did crashed it previously on landing, tipping it over and damaged two of the blades.  I replaced all 4 blades to make sure I didn't have an out of balance blade issue. I did fly it and it flew OK, although it didn't seem as stable. I downgraded and upgrade the Firmware with little noticeable difference.

I just finished about 2 hours of troubleshooting and this is what I found.  I read the other posts and played with the Gain settings. They were all at 100%. I adjusted them independently to see if I could stop the vibrations. With my aircraft , if I adjusted the YAW gain setting to 90% it would not oscillate and ran for over 5 minutes with no oscillation. I raised it to 95% and still no oscillation. If I raised it to 100% while the rotors were turning, the copter would start to oscillate. The RPMs would noticeably increase and then the copter would start to vibrate. If I dropped the YAW gain setting down, the copter would still vibrate. Once it starts to vibrate I had to shut it down to stop it from vibrating. I tried both versions of Firmware, 1.05 and 1.06. With 1.05 I could raise the YAW gain to 95% and it wouldn't oscillate. With version 1.06 I had to drop the gain to 90% to stop the oscillating. I am by no means an expert and this may only apply to my aircraft. It seems to enter into a oscillating feedback loop, which once it starts there is no way to stop it unless you shut it down or take off.

Once again this may only apply to my aircraft, but hope this helps someone.

John
2016-1-2
Use props
rubender
lvl.1

Spain

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-3 00:57
change engines is not the solution, mine is the new model and also vibrates

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it
2016-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Menehune Posted at 2016-1-2 16:10
Aloha Ken,

Just wanted to report that I just upgraded a P3P from 1.5 to 1.6 and the aircraft is no ...

I'm sorry you are having vibration issues. If after trying to downgrade and all the other suggestions than you may need to send it in.
There is no software you can use to analyze the flight data as much as the DJI engineers can do. You can use HealthyDrones.com to extract some flight data.
2016-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Menehune Posted at 2016-1-2 16:10
Aloha Ken,

Just wanted to report that I just upgraded a P3P from 1.5 to 1.6 and the aircraft is no ...

I'm sorry you are having vibration issues. If after trying to downgrade and all the other suggestions than you may need to send it in.
There is no software you can use to analyze the flight data as much as the DJI engineers can do. You can use HealthyDrones.com to extract some flight data.
2016-1-2
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

johnpstoll Posted at 2016-1-3 00:32
I had the same problem, but mine would start vibrating while sitting on the ground with the rotors t ...

Hi John,

I made more or less the same experience:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=127639
Although my "basic gain" values for non-oscillating in ground idle (yaw), hover/inflight (pitch&roll), climb (vertical) differ a bit from yours:
pitch=90%, roll=90%, yaw=80%, vertical=90%.
Maybe these about 5 or 10% lower values are due to the fact that I tested in some gusty/variable winds of >7m/s.
The reduced "basic gains" cured my oscillation trouble and concerns that came with v1.5/1.6...

Greetings,
Claus
2016-1-2
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Menehune Posted at 2016-1-2 18:10
Aloha Ken,

Ken - please review the attached video - very clear indication of vibration induced by FW 1.6 upgrade

Count me as another FW 1.5 to 1.6 upgrade introducing vibration. Upgraded to 1.6 right after Christmas. Performed IMU cal, compass cal, and was unable to get focused long exposure shots. Yesterday, I spent more time hovering trying to see if there was an issue. I experienced some drift and uncommanded altitude changes but nothing definitive. However, after examining the subsequent flight video, the shaking starts at 10 seconds and becomes very pronounced at the 30-50 second mark in the attached clip. Very disappointing after purchasing my P3P in August and completing 40+ flights with no vibration whatsoever. This P3P has the old motors. I'm guessing a yaw gain problem based on the video.

My son has a new P3P with new motors so I'm going to look at his flight videos for vibration evidence.

DJI - please consolidate how to troubleshoot and fix this apparently widespread issue in a new sticky. Reading through this entire thread for how to post DAT files and adjust gains etc. is very confusing and time consuming. TIA

2016-1-3
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Wow!...mine was never that bad.  The problem started between firmware 1.4 & 1.5, did you skip 1.5?  You may have already had the problem but not noticed or it wasn't as bad due to different temperatures?
2016-1-3
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-1-3 08:50
Wow!...mine was never that bad.  The problem started between firmware 1.4 & 1.5, did you skip 1.5?   ...

I did 1.4 to 1.5 to 1.6.  From looking at the videos I have with 1.4 and prior  (rock solid, no issues), 1.5 (only a couple of flights - will look at these again), the 1.6 video (link above from yesterday) was the first indication of a pronounced and prolonged (10s of seconds) vibration both in hover and maneuvering.

I carefully checked for any structural issues - arm cracks and I have none (so far). I think I'm grounded until DJI comes back with a definitive fix.

I have also flown in various wind conditions (yesterday was moderate) and this 1.6 flight was the first indication of vibration.

Update: checked 4 videos from my son's P3P with new motors, upgraded to FW 1.6, same day, same wind conditions as the video above and it's rock solid. So that's my small sample size of 1 new motor P3P compared to 1 old motor P3P with FW 1.6 upgrades resulting in only the old motor P3P having vibration issues.

Update 2: Downgraded FW to 1.5. If anyone else is downgrading. you can only go back sequentially, e.g. 1.6 to 1.5 to 1.4, not 1.6 to 1.4. Goimg to very carefully check out the old motor P3P with FW 1.5 since I dont think I had an issue with it, just FW 1.6. Downgrade logs:

AResult: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

Upgrading ...

2016-1-3
Use props
Dan30
lvl.2

Spain

in mine the vibration is in the drone, not the video. the problem is not in the old engines
2016-1-3
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-3 16:17
in mine the vibration is in the drone, not the video. the problem is not in the old engines

Dan, Perhaps your drone vibration is damped out by the camera. I'm guessing mine is more severe such that the gimbal/camera can't damp out the vibration I'm experiencing. I also have 2 P3Ps - one with new motors and one with old motors and the new motor P3P isnt having any noticeable vibration  with FW 1.6.

Update 2: Now with FW 1.5 cold soaked the old motor P3P, kept batteries indoors. Performed IMU, gimbal cal. Outside temp at flight time was 34 F and dropped to 33 F at finish. Had “MC signal error” twice at drone startup. Kept cycling power on the drone (alternating normal, MC signal error, normal, MC signal error, normal, normal and then launched). Shot some video from phone on ground and in hover at 6+ feet = no apparent issues, some drifting but no alt changes. Was cautiously hopeful in flying the same path but the vibration was still apparent, perhaps not quite as violent as the earlier video. Will post video shortly but video recording with the drone in current state (FW 1.5 or FW 1.6) is unsatisfactory as compared to how smooth it was in the previous 40 flights.

Now I’m trying to decide whether to downgrade further to 1.4 and lose the advanced flight modes or soften the gains.

Hey DJI! Let me know what you want me to try!
2016-1-3
Use props
Dan30
lvl.2

Spain

bletzinger 331, you can not go from 1.6 to 1.4 not? According to Ken he told me you can only down to the 1.6 to 1.5. if you can go from 1.6 to 1.4 please let me know
2016-1-3
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-3 18:06
bletzinger 331, you can not go from 1.6 to 1.4 not? According to Ken he told me you can only down to ...

Sorry about the confusion -  what Ken said is true. Not 1.6 to 1.4 direct but you can go 1.6 to 1.5 to 1.4 : in steps.

update: vibration still present after downgrading to FW 1.5
2016-1-3
Use props
wgriffith
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44255 ft
Canada

Unfortunately I have to add my October 2015 purchased P3P to the list of vibrating drones. I am brand spanking new to the forums, driven here by my issue, and honestly stunned at the amount of people having the same problem. Mine also seemed to start after the 1.6 update. Vibrates on idle and also when hovering right in front of you. I have tried downgrading to 1.5 and back to 1.6 again, calibrations, all to no avail. Forgive me for not going through all of the (9 pages now) of reports on this issue, but what do I need to do now?
2016-1-3
Use props
Dan30
lvl.2

Spain

bletzinger Posted at 2016-1-4 03:02
Sorry about the confusion -  what Ken said is true. Not 1.6 to 1.4 direct but you can go 1.6 to 1. ...

thanks!! then can you confirm that? and what about the RC carries the latest update? and the app? excuse my English..
2016-1-4
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-4 05:02
thanks!! then can you confirm that? and what about the RC carries the latest update? and the app?  ...

Confirmed. From reading the 9 pages of this thread, I dont think the RC controller FW is an issue. Im assuming DJI wouldnt let us upgrade/downgrade between drone FW 1.4 to 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.6 to 1.5 to 1.4 if the drone FW conflicted with the latest RC FW. I sure wish DJI would respond with either a fix or an official trouble shooting process for this issue since they released drone FW 1.5 and 1.6 that apparently caused the vibration issue with the old motor P3Ps. My best guess is that the gain values were either corrupted by FW 1.5 (some residual value) that only appears (in my case) to affect the old motor P3P or that FW 1.5+ is incompatible with my old motor P3P.

So absent hearing a response from DJI, you can try the time consuming process of going back and forth FW 1.4/1.5/1.6 on the drone to hopefully fix a residual value issue or you can soften the gains from 100% down to some number (especially the yaw) to dampen out vibration. Im probably going to try the gain adjustments next. Gain adjustments are better described in the "New Firmware for the Phantom 3 Series thread".
2016-1-4
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

Its really not right , that we ( people with older motors ) should have to play with our gains to try to get our birds to not vibrate and fly right , with anything
passed 1.4 firmware , I realize the new phantom 3 with new motors are not having as much problem with this , But i assure you there is a lot more p3p's out there
with older motors than there are with new ones , thousands of people are having these problems that have older motors with 1.5 and 1.6 firmware.
And DJI needs to stop development of everything they have and work only on this til its fixed. it is very serious , And there is no need to try to send flight
data of every single P3P pro that is vibrating , cause DJI techs can not go though thousands of drones data. Everyone is having the same exact problem.
There needs to be Firmware for p3p's with older motors and Firmware with p3p's with newer motors , Cause there not the same anymore.
The same firmware is not going to work on both drones. I think this has been proven over and over.

The simplest thing to do would be let us with older motors go back to 1.3 on our controllers and 1.4 on the drone and we will
be fine , I as most others P3P with older motors worked perfectly with 1.3 on controller and 1.4 on the drone.
Ever since the controller was updated to 1.5 , everthing has been a mess for older phantom 3's
Just let us down grade everything and the problem will be gone.
2016-1-4
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

Fabio Dell Posted at 2015-12-11 20:08
Hi everybody

Unfortunately, after upgraded firmware at 1.5 version, I have noticed vibration issue ...

Ciao Fabio,
sono anche io italiano. Volevo chiederti se hai avuto modo di risolvere il problema.

Grazie...
2016-1-4
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-12-13 00:19
Please make sure that you disable synchronous follow.  That will amplify the yaw on the the gimbal.

Hi, the problem is the body vibration caused by New 1.5 and 1.6 firmware.
Propellers ok, motors too...
Before upgrading firmware it worked fine and something went wromg after.

Look how it works with new firmware please...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8Zt4tBV2Q
2016-1-4
Use props
MikeDrone7
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-2 22:09
I'm sorry you are having vibration issues. If after trying to downgrade and all the other suggesti ...

Hey Ken I just wanted to say that after 5 tries with the downgrade and upgrade back to 1.5.0030 followed by a cold IMU and compass calibration the arm vibrations have finally stopped.  I did mess around with the gains but it didn't help but as i said they are gone now.  I am just wondering if it would be a good idea to hold off upgrading go the new 1.6.004 for a bit to make sure it doesn't act up again.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.  I want to take advantage of the battery firmware for cold climates in the new firmware but I'm a little worried because I won't be able to go back down to 1.4.0010 when I go to 1.6.004.

Thanks!
2016-1-4
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

I have come to the conclusion , there not going to fix the problem. 2 months now , Thousands of P3P with old motors vibrate , crash , and fly a way's , not one Firmware
fix for 2 months ,
2016-1-4
Use props
a51chew
lvl.1

Malaysia

MikeDrone7 Posted at 2016-1-5 13:28
Hey Ken I just wanted to say that after 5 tries with the downgrade and upgrade back to 1.5.0030 fo ...

Hi Mike, are you now rolled back to firmware 1.4? is your P3P with old or new motor?

Thank you
2016-1-4
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

What is the difference between OLD and NEW motors, how do you know which ones are installed? What if some of the drones are a combination of both?
"...Boss, I ran out of motors!
Open the new box and get them.
Ya, but those are the batch for new dro...OK will do"
2016-1-4
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-5 02:35
What is the difference between OLD and NEW motors, how do you know which ones are installed? What if ...

new motors are flat on top where the star shape is , Old motors the star shape at the top
the fins are raised up like you can put a wrench on them.
2016-1-5
Use props
Andriusfoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10799291 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-5 09:35
What is the difference between OLD and NEW motors, how do you know which ones are installed? What if ...

Here is new and old motors:

My Phantom have old motors and I still have vibration issue.
2016-1-5
Use props
JyBravo70
New

United Kingdom

I am seeing a lot of discussions on downgrading firmware but haven't found out where to obtain the files?  I have a P3S and would like to the older firmware handy in the event I experience the issues.  I have only made 3 flights and on my first I uploaded the 1.6 firmware, not sure which is running now.  Searching the forums and DJI site yielded little outside of talk of downgrading but not where to get the files.  Thanks.
2016-1-5
Use props
Guerinomaione
lvl.2
Italy

JyBravo70 Posted at 2016-1-5 11:11
I am seeing a lot of discussions on downgrading firmware but haven't found out where to obtain the f ...

Hallo, if you have a 1.6 version, you can downgrade to 1.5.30+ and will not solve the problem. You should Go back to 1.4 but it is impossibile.
Dji is still watching without doing nothing...
Bad bad bad assistance
2016-1-5
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

JyBravo70 Posted at 2016-1-5 05:11
I am seeing a lot of discussions on downgrading firmware but haven't found out where to obtain the f ...

firmware link for P3 Standard and your post contains a good suggestion: store previous FW versions in case you ever need them like for the problem described in this thread.

2016-1-5
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
United States

MikeDrone7 Posted at 2016-1-5 00:28
Hey Ken I just wanted to say that after 5 tries with the downgrade and upgrade back to 1.5.0030 fo ...

Thanks MikeDrone7. If you have the time please describe the sequence you used. I'm guessing 1.5 to 1.4 to 1.5 to 1.4 and finally back to 1.5. Did you do any cals in between? I'm going to try and replicate your process next week. I still have the vibration after a downgrade to 1.5 but I havent tried going back and forth between 1.4 and 1.5.

I'll summarize where I think we are with old motor P3s upgraded to FW 1.5 or FW 1.6 that induced a vibration, since we havent heard from DJI in a while:

1. Try MikeDrone7s process above.
2. Lower the gains to pitch=90%, roll=90%, yaw=80%, vertical=90% as described here link by vr-pilot Note: in my case I think it's a yaw problem.
3. Start the RMA process
4. Wait for DJI to post a fix for old motor P3P vibration caused by FW 1.5/ FW 1.6?

I'll try #1 above and give DJI a few more days to respond, but if they dont publish a fix (#4), or at least tell us if they are making progress, then I'm going to RMA my old motor P3P (#3). I also have a new motor P3P (with FW 1.6) without the problem so I'm confident the FW 1.5/ FW 1.6 upgrade caused the vibration on the old motor P3P so DJI should just fix it.

2016-1-5
Use props
JyBravo70
New

United Kingdom

bletzinger Posted at 2016-1-5 19:10
firmware link for P3 Standard and your post contains a good suggestion: store previous FW versions  ...

Thanks Bletzinger,

Unfortunately the link only takes me to the page to download PDF manuals and the mobile device apps.  I checked the P3A and P3P and they both have ALL the legacy firmware packages.  I found one site with older firmware (P3C_FW_V01.01.0030 and V01.02.0040 but haven't been able to find anything close to 1.4 or 1.5...
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bletzinger Posted at 2016-1-3 21:41
Ken - please review the attached video - very clear indication of vibration induced by FW 1.6 upgra ...

If you have tried everything that I have posted here then you will need to send it in for warranty repair as long as it has not been crashed.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dan30 Posted at 2016-1-4 07:06
bletzinger 331, you can not go from 1.6 to 1.4 not? According to Ken he told me you can only down to ...

If you are 1.6, you can only go down to 1.5
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ChrisC Posted at 2016-1-4 19:19
Its really not right , that we ( people with older motors ) should have to play with our gains to tr ...

There are not thousands of people with the vibrations issues, yes there are some with the vibration issue from the older motors but it's probably less than 1% of the Phantoms with the older motors.
It is a warranty issue if you cannot fix it, go tot the support center of the DJI website and send it in for warranty repair.
All I know is they are working on it in China and will probably have a fix in the next firmware update.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MikeDrone7 Posted at 2016-1-5 13:28

Mike,
That's great that you have gotten rid of the vibration by multiple upgrades/downgrades. DJI recommends to be on the latest firmware update and if you have issues from it then you need to send it in for warranty repair.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-5 15:35

Here is the notice about old motors and new motors.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... al-advanced-motors1
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Guerinomaione Posted at 2016-1-5 19:00
Hallo, if you have a 1.6 version, you can downgrade to 1.5.30+ and will not solve the problem. You ...

If you go up to 1.6, you cannot go down to 1.4, you can only downgrade to 1.5
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JyBravo70 Posted at 2016-1-5 18:11

Your P3 Standard is only updated from WiFi through the app. There is no firmware that you can download to an SD card.
2016-1-5
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I think everyone needs clarification on warranty regarding upgrades.
Apparently this vibration problem is a real issue.  (As were many others)

Yet, is it true (or false)  that if you do not upgrade, your warranty is void?
2016-1-5
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules