Waypoints - limitations and feature requests
4408 13 2015-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

I very much like the "Waypoints" features of the DJI Go app. However, there are some limitations that come with it which make it difficult to work with.
Many have discussed the ability to name waypoints. This is an absolute must. The system saves the three most recent waypoints and names them by date. This makes it very difficult to figure out which mission is the "right" one when you want to save it... expecially considering the other limitations of the software.

It can be difficult to get to previous waypoint missions. In order to do so, one must start up the Phantom and RC. Then, the Phantom must be airborne to access the waypoint list. There really needs to be a way to access and manage waypoint missions when "offline" (or at least on the ground).

There _may_ be a way to see some missions from the ground - if so, it is still hampered by another limitation which should be corrected. If you power up and go into the flight simulator, you can access waypoint mode and see saved missions. However, to mark as a "favorite" you still need to be within 5000m from the actual home point of the mission. If not, you cannot view the mission on a map or mark/un-mark it as a favorite. The flight limitation is an obvious one, but really shouldn't exist in the simulator.

Management of waypoint missions - renaming, save as favorite, remove as favorite, view points on a map - are all basic and necessary functions. These features have no bearing on any height/distance limitations DJI may feel the need to impose.

That said, there are some other limitation that should be looked at:

- Basic waypoint editing: Often, the video of the mission doesn't work out how you thought. Even though you carefullly set up 15-20 waypoints, one of them just isn't right on video. Problem is that you now need to re-create the entire thing from scratch. With the inability to name/manage waypoints, the problem is amplified. It is likely that DJI set up the waypoint creation system this way for a reason - I get it. However, there really should be SOME way to tweak things after the fact. Even the ability to simply adjust orientation at a waypoint so the camera points where you want (I have created missions where the "camera position at record" didn't turn out as expected. The ability to move or delete waypoints (even within limits) would be even better.

- Total distance of 5000m: This really isn't long enough. IMO it should be at least doubled. I have been running missions around my property and have run into the 5000m limit a few times. This is all flying LOS and within the 500m from homepoint restriction. It can be a challenge doing a "perimiter" flight. This limit makes little sense when the mission is already limited to a 500m home point radius. Battery is not an issue. I have created missions of just under 5000m in length and then run them on the same battery with plenty of power to spare.

- 500m raduis: I understand the reasoning behind this limit. I still think there are plenty of situations where is it an uncessary burden. Again, it can be a challenge when trying to create a simple perimiter flight on a relatively small piece of rural property. In the country, LOS is considerably more than 500m, even with my old eyes.

I can see how last two points may be asking too much. The rest, however, has no impact on any perceived "safety" issues and should be put on the list for future versions of the software.

2015-12-1
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi
Thank you for your suggestions .  The waypoint editing  is really necessary and I totally understand that . About the total distance of 5000 meters and 500 radius , it's not just a software problem . And our R&D is working on that . Your ideas are great ,thank you very much !
2015-12-1
Use props
pascancristian
lvl.1

Romania

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-2 08:53
Hi
Thank you for your suggestions .  The waypoint editing  is really necessary and I totally underst ...

For editing waypoints I think that for the begining a CSV import/export will be wonderfull even if a full editor will not exists. I think that will be enough DEVs which can edit those CSV.
2015-12-4
Use props
Marius.Skancke
lvl.1
Norway

Hey Patrick. Hope you can answer this.

My christmas wish from your RnD dudes would be the ability to make a flightplan offline. Either in DJI go, or make a flightplan in google earth, and import it to DJI go. Then I need a function which can set speed, altitude and photo overlap procentage. The icing on the cake, or the death to thirdparty suppliers would be the creation of an eventlog, which logs the Latitude, longitude, altitude, roll, pitch, yaw for each photo taken.

I have all this on my camflight hexa with procerius Virtual cockpit. But the UAV and setup rig is to big for the smaller jobs that customers have. Its just not worth the price since transport, rigging and safety makes the cost of the project higher compared to a dude using a surface GPS, mapper thingy. Not sure about the english word for it.

Ive tried Pix4D capture and Dronedeploy app, but at the rate of firmware updates and DJI go updates, they just cant keep up and push out something that works.

Do you know if there is any concrete plan in the works for this. Atleast the ability to create waypoints without flying them first, combined with camera function with overlap posiblilties.

Marius.
2015-12-5
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Marius.Skancke Posted at 2015-12-5 17:04
Hey Patrick. Hope you can answer this.

My christmas wish from your RnD dudes would be the ability t ...

Hi ,Marius
Sorry I still don't know about that plan . But I do know that's what you guys want and I'll pass your suggestions to them .
2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

pascancristian Posted at 2015-12-5 05:59
For editing waypoints I think that for the begining a CSV import/export will be wonderfull even if ...

Good idea ! Thank you very much !
2015-12-8
Use props
james.brinkhoff
New

Australia

I too would like the ability to program a course using google maps or similar, then have the drone fly it.

With the current waypoints feature, is there a way to make sure the drone is always pointing in the same direction while it is flying a pre-recorded set of waypoints? Mine seems to be changing it's pointing as it's flying between points.

2015-12-8
Use props
FPV Booster
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Mission Planner (FPV Camera iOS app) sounds an alternative.
http://fpvbooster.com/index.php? ... id=3&Itemid=136

2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

james.brinkhoff Posted at 2015-12-9 12:52
I too would like the ability to program a course using google maps or similar, then have the drone f ...

There's no such function for the moment . But copy that !
2015-12-9
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The wishes from my side:

- also remove (or change to 2km) the 500 limit on F-mode
- move/add/change waypoints names
- keep the possibility to make a waypoint plan offline (nice with a coffee- sitting on the sofa)
(Like the FPV camera / ground station but I like the DJI go app very much - so I hope DJI the functions for the P3p)
- (optional) checklist before takeoff: Possibility to add own items.

(Next version hardware: front sensor to prevent collisions
2015-12-16
Use props
pascancristian
lvl.1

Romania

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-8 10:38
Good idea ! Thank you very much !

Any updates on this?
2016-1-20
Use props
sgv_6618
lvl.1
Greece

Hello from me too.
I am not sure if this can be done by altering the speed to 0 in free mode but it would be great if you could set a hover time in a waypoint.

Also a good feature would be if you could combine modes for example set 5 waypoints do a 120° POI and then continue with the rest of the waypoints.
2016-1-26
Use props
robert.outbackd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1360433 ft
Australia

I don't know about you but the max distance per mission I'm getting is 30km
2017-7-19
Use props
robert.outbackd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1360433 ft
Australia

I am getting a max total distance of 30km, would like to have distance between waypoints increased though from 2km to more
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules