DJI what have you done with the Inspire 1 camera LOG?
2653 15 2015-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

After many 74 flights shooting wonderful footage on the Inspire 1, I noticed that the log has changed and is now called D Log.

The old log was wonderful and now the new D Log is only slightly flatter than no Log! Now my shadow areas are noisy and the footage virtually unusable to broadcast.

What have you done?? How do I reverse the firmware update? and which version do I go back too?

2015-12-3
Use props
Richardrambone
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's better, dji said so.
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
Sorry for that . The Log has just changed a name to "D-Log" . There's no difference between them . For that  noisy problem , would you please post a picture here ?
2015-12-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

There is no difference.
2015-12-4
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-4 15:15
Hi ,
Sorry for that . The Log has just changed a name to "D-Log" . There's no difference between th ...

Hi Patrick, the compression with the old Log actually made it difficult to see on the iPad while flying due to the lack of contrast. I didn't mind this as it paid off in the final image quality. Now there is so little compression the screen has much more contrast and looks more like a final grade at huge cost to dynamic range in post production. If you are saying that the Log hasn't changed, do you think that the contrast in user settings within log have been changed in the update as there is definitely now a big difference.

I will post some sample images but short of time right now, thanks for your reply.
2015-12-5
Use props
panox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568819 ft
Germany

Highranger Posted at 2015-12-6 07:07
Hi Patrick, the compression with the old Log actually made it difficult to see on the iPad while fl ...

Can someone please explain,  what the acronym LOG or D-LOG or D-Log stands for?
2015-12-6
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

panox Posted at 2015-12-6 17:08
Can someone please explain,  what the acronym LOG or D-LOG or D-Log stands for?

Panox, the colourspace of the image is LOGarithmic rather than linear which allows far more compression of dynamic range which later unleashes  so much more range when colourgrading in post production. In practise, this means you can retain far more detail in the blacks and far more detail in blown out areas and everything in between.  
2015-12-6
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

hey Highranger!
I believe you can find an answers to your questions in this thread:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-36464-1-1.html
2015-12-6
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-12-7 11:02
hey Highranger!
I believe you can find an answers to your questions in this thread:
http://forum.dji ...

OK Thanks for the link but my problem is that the new Log is hopeless compared to the old log.

Here are some samples
A: As shot with the old log ( to the uninitiated this would look overly flat)
B: LUT applied ( I purchased for about $90) giving superb results and huge control over both the shadows and highlights.
C: New log looking superficially OK more like what we would expect to be a final grade certainly not flat like a log image should be. No log needed but no enhanced grading available.
D: LUT applied and it looks far too contrasty just like I have applied a LUT to non log footage. No enhanced control over the shadows and no enhanced control over the highlghts.
When you run the video, there is a lot of noise in the shadows as any attempt to grade it brings out this noise.

Sorry to disagree, but DJI have definitely changed the log to virtually NON log.

Please someone tell me which firmware is responsible, I took it back to the previous firmware but it did restore the camera log. This happened close to the time the new Zenmuse X5 was released, I sincerely hope DJI didn't sabotage the X3 to sell more X5s.

Test 3.jpg
2015-12-7
Use props
Dronie.dk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8077667 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Highranger Posted at 2015-12-7 11:03
OK Thanks for the link but my problem is that the new Log is hopeless compared to the old log.

Her ...

DJI definitely changed LOG with latest fw 1.1.0.4. You can go back to 1.1.0.3 though.

Remember it's normally a good rule when you use LOG-mode to shoot more to the right (overexpose) than you normally would to avoid crushing the blacks to much and get less noise in blacks in post.
2015-12-7
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

Dronie.dk Posted at 2015-12-7 18:50
DJI definitely changed LOG with latest fw 1.1.0.4. You can go back to 1.1.0.3 though.

Remember it ...

Thanks Dronie, I though for a moment I was alone arguing this problem, Yes over exposing generally gives me great results too!

When in the D log , log what ever they have renamed it,  I exposed the vehicles shown in C & D to show a raging case of marching zebras (overexposure), I expected to be happy in  contolling the shadows.

One day I hope to look forward to again squinting my eyes through a true low contrast (LOG) Ipad screen while flying knowing that the end result will give me the fabulous grading control over my videos. This is now not the case.

I wonder why Tim from DJI Hong Kong and Dave from DJI US, give one liners pretending that this lack of an effective LOG colourspace is not obvious to us as early as via our ipad screen while flying?????
2015-12-7
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Highranger Posted at 2015-12-7 18:03

Her ...

I agree, Once the X5 came out and I installed the new firmware, it seemed the X3 log changed.. the X5 log is VERY flat compared to the X3.
2015-12-7
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

gybo102 Posted at 2015-12-7 23:43
I agree, Once the X5 came out and I installed the new firmware, it seemed the X3 log changed.. the ...

Can anyone help, I have successfully returned the aircraft to 1.3 firmware from 1.4 but the camera is still showing 1.4, how can I restore the camera to get the old log back please DJI ??
2015-12-7
Use props
ajweber1980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306716 ft
United States

Highranger Posted at 2015-12-7 13:42
Can anyone help, I have successfully returned the aircraft to 1.3 firmware from 1.4 but the camera  ...

@highranger...I had this same issue....http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... otage-x5-dlog.7993/  

Basically what I have been doing is overexposing about 1.5-2 stops of light.  Then in post I'll knock down the exposure a bit, adjust the contrast, shadows and highlights, then resaturate the image.  

The LUT you are using for the LOG is probably useless as DLOG footage would need a revised LUT to give you similiar.

This was useful as well --- http://nofilmschool.com/2015/11/ ... grading-log-footage
2015-12-8
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks for that AJW, I will check out your links but how to you explain the very little difference now when toggling between Dlog and none?
The old log was different by huge margin!

Exposing higher might help reduce noise as experienced with my Osmo, but this has nothing to do with dynamic range which log is all about providing and so you will subsequently lose detail in the highlights with your approach.
2015-12-17
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-18 20:07
Perhaps Machoman will chime in here but from what I understand, only the aircraft gets rolled back ...

Thanks Paul, I won't ever upgrade anymore as I have totally lost trust in DJI
2015-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules