Lost and recovered drone
1152 12 2015-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
txpander
lvl.2

Netherlands

I just got home after 30 minutes search and rescue operation! I went out smoking and took the bird with me for a final flight before it gets really dark and fired up the engines. Waited for the Aircraft warming up notice to turn off and headed straight to the sky's limits. At 450+ meters height the RC started losing signal with my drone so I pressed the RTH button to get it back as soon as possible. For my disappointment the drone kept fading away until I lost it out of sight. Tried hitting the RTH button couple more times but it didn't work, so I got back home, took my car keys and went after the bird following it's last position on the back. According to the remote controller it was approximately 1.1 kilometers away from me. So I followed the route until the red lights appeared in front of me. WOLLAH! The drone was there, safely landed and waiting for me to come pick it up. There was no damage to the shell or the camera.
Here's a link to healthydrones report: http://goo.gl/KRRZWG

And a picture taken 480 meters above the ground

lost_and_recovered.jpg

2015-12-4
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-4
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Morph1 Posted at 2015-12-4 12:09
you're very lucky lol,
so what happened ? why would that take off on you like that, I noticed 40 m/h ...

I think it took off on you because the wind was too strong to bring it back.That's way too strong of a wind to be flying the Phantom in.
2015-12-4
Use props
txpander
lvl.2

Netherlands

Yes it was because of the wind. Healthydrones report says winds at that height were 45.1 mph. But I'm happy the drone landed in safe area!
2015-12-4
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

txpander Posted at 2015-12-4 12:23
Yes it was because of the wind. Healthydrones report says winds at that height were 45.1 mph. But I' ...

ya, you got really lucky. It also looks like you were ATTI mode as well.
You were 300ft up and 150ft out when you lost signal, you didn't have the antennas pointing to the Phantom did you?
2015-12-4
Use props
txpander
lvl.2

Netherlands

I did have them pointing to the Phantom but somehow it lost signal. I also started walking forward but it didn´t help.
2015-12-4
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

txpander Posted at 2015-12-4 12:56
I did have them pointing to the Phantom but somehow it lost signal. I also started walking forward b ...

You shouldn't have the tips of the antennas pointing at the Phantom, The tips have the weakest signal. You want them to be perpendiculat to the Phantom ( the sides of the antennas facing the Phantom) Here's a photo for reference.
Antenna p.png
2015-12-4
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Well, the flight log shows you started out with a 'fair' signal and rapidly went to 'poor' signal.  There may have been wind and I am sure it contributed, but it also looks like there may have been a lot of signal interference in the area.  You never had a good connection according to the report.  
2015-12-4
Use props
txpander
lvl.2

Netherlands

It is true that there are too much buildings surrounding me and the drone. The hard wind is also a fact.
I was aware that it might get blown away which happened, but I tought I'll be able to descend after couple of AEB shots and than bring it back safely to home point, but everything happened too fast.
2015-12-4
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

2015-12-4
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-4
Use props
ronday
lvl.2
Flight distance : 423301 ft
Netherlands

You are so lucky you got your bird back ;-) There is no way at this moment that i would fly here in the Netherlands with this bad weather.

There is an cool app for android and iOS that shows the forecast for flying a UAV. It calculates if you can fly your bird by checking wind speed, rain, GPS possible lock, KP index etc etc. And its free ;-)

Check this website for the app or the forecast http://www.uavforecast.com/
2015-12-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting in that it landed with %)% battery life left. Seems like it went into auto-land instead of "RTH"
2015-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules