First Impressions and a couple of questions
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Hi all!

I picked up my Phantom 3 Pro today, after updating the firmware and charging the batteries I took her for a spin.

First impressions are fantastic, it flies incredibly easily and has a great interface so I was really impressed on that front. I do have a couple of questions though:

Firstly I noticed when hovering near me there is some vibration that still makes it to the camera and if you look at the clipbelow for example at 54 seconds this is very apparent, is that normal? The footage seems ok generally so i expect it is but wanted to check, also on that front there are only 2 of the plastic retaining pins for the gimbal in my unit, again is that the norm?

Now the larger concern/question is the video footage i took (in theory at 4k 3840 × 2160) doesnt seem nearly as clear as i hoped for in fact its quite grainy. It might be because it was relatively low light but you can see some of it here:

It doesnt look as clear as my gopro on 1080p to be honest, does this seem right ?

Let me know your thoughts - Sorry the output is only 1080 from iMovie but my gopro stuff normally looks pretty sharp from there,

Any thoughts much appreciated!

R
2015-12-5
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft
Germany

Hi,
The vibration maybe appears near you because there is interference from your mobile device, maybe you haven't switched off wifi. I have never had that and I usually switch off wifi. Just two plastic pins on your gimble is how it is supposed to be. The two extra pins in the package are just for replacement. If you are used to a Gopro as I have been, you have the feeling that it's better than the Phantom 3 Pro camera. I think the Gopro gives a sharper picture with more saturation whereas the Phantom 3Pro looks kind of washed out. You might get better results with adjusting the settings in the Phantom Go App. I have never really tried it, I always use no saturation and no sharpness because I adjust in Final Cut Pro. You definitely get better results with post production, both photos and videos. It takes a lot of time but it works and the results are usually good. There is a Russian guy on here, madebyvadim, he has some excellent examples what you can do in post production. If you don't want to spend the time with post production you should play with the photo and video adjustments in the Go App.

2015-12-5
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I have to ask,  did the video come from what was stored on your phone or did you hook up to the camera gimbal on the P3 to get. Because what is on you phone is only something like 720p.  You have to physical hook up to the gimbal or remove the sd card from the gimbal to get to the high res stuff.  
My apologies if you already knew this.
2015-12-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

The Vimeo feed look a bunch better than the one posted here.  The shake has nothing to do with interference.  There's another error going on.  I think it needs to visit a service center.
2015-12-5
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the input, thinking more about this the shaky footage may have been before i remembered to remove the pice of foam from the gimbal and having been out today i haven't had the same issues with the footage.

I can still see the camera vibrating a fair bit when going up or down but doesn't seem to show in the output so i think its fine.

One thing i did notice is that when hovering around 3-4 feet from the ground the unit does seem to drop altitude a bit, i'm guessing it could be an IMU calibration thing so will try that,

Overall really impressed with the Phantom!
2015-12-6
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

DroPro Posted at 2015-12-6 00:53
Hi,
The vibration maybe appears near you because there is interference from your mobile device, mayb ...

Quick query on the 'pins' - is there anything negative about installing the 2 spare pins to give you a full compliment of securing pins on the camera ?
2015-12-6
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

Flipperman Posted at 2015-12-7 04:53
Quick query on the 'pins' - is there anything negative about installing the 2 spare pins to give y ...

I Can't see a problem but it would mean you'd have no spares though...
2015-12-6
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
Please do an IMU calibration and try balance your props to help with the vibration problem .
And confirm the video you post is derived from your SD card . Thank you !
2015-12-7
Use props
rskardon
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-7 17:31
Hi ,
Please do an IMU calibration and try balance your props to help with the vibration problem .
A ...

Hi, yes the video is from my SD card, I think this issue may have been occurring because of the foam insert at the back of the gimbal still being in place, I can still see the camera vibrating externally a little now but doesnt seem to be showing in the footage too bad. - Is some vibration expected?

Quick question on the IMU calibration, can that be done in my 12th floor apartment or does it need to be at ground level?

Regarding balancing the props can you confirm how that can be done? the drone was litterally brand new on this flight so i would expect them to be pretty balanced.

Thanks,

R
2015-12-7
Use props
Othan1
lvl.2

United States

I've had that video shutter when I accidentally made the plastic pin too tight.  May not be your issue but something to try.  Also, I've had my hex bolt come loose on my gimbal after clipping a tree which caused shuttering but that was more like this:
2015-12-7
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rskardon Posted at 2015-12-8 06:41
Hi, yes the video is from my SD card, I think this issue may have been occurring because of the fo ...

Hi ,
You can do the IMU calibration  in your apartment but remember to keep it plane . The props balancing won't be so necessary if the vibration disapeared after that . But you can search that tutorial on youtube . If the videos still in bad condition , please contact your dealer . Thank you !
2015-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules