Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Follow me mode Inspire 1
5129 13 2015-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Question on FOLLOW ME mode with an Inspire 1 X3..... the new firmware.    I have an iPad Air 2 NON cellular.     I do have an iPhone that I could use if I have to.  But I like the big screen with my old eyes.  So can I tether my iPhone as a hotspot, and use the phone's GPS with my iPad?

2015-12-7
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-7 13:25
Why does this feature not use the RC's own GPS? Is it perhaps because the GPS doesn't work properly?

Paul..

I'm wondering about that too.   If you can set home position to the controller, why won't it work for Follow me?
2015-12-7
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-7 18:38
The thing is... I cannot even set home point to the controller... It moans about there not being a ...

I can set the home point from the controller, but only if I have the controller vertical.  Not exactly the most economical way to hold the transmitter.
2015-12-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

nice to see you guys making experiments here
2015-12-7
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does follow me work the same way with the phantom ? I was a bit annoyed when I tested the new firmware to find out that my Non cell iPad was not going to work with the new feature even in hotspot mode with my iPhone
2015-12-8
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

However it does now have me thinking of a long range GPS unit which could be attached to something/someone and use follow me. Does anyone know of a good long range iOS compatible GPS unit ?
2015-12-8
Use props
drone vision
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HFI Posted at 2015-12-8 21:55
However it does now have me thinking of a long range GPS unit which could be attached to something/s ...

Im just about to buy a new iPad air2, what your saying here is that to use Follow Me it must be a cellular version, Correct?   (or possibly hot spotted to an iPhone)
How does that square with putting phones and iPads into Flight Safe Mode ? as recommneded

Official policy from  DJI?
2015-12-9
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

drone vision Posted at 2015-12-9 19:45
Im just about to buy a new iPad air2, what your saying here is that to use Follow Me it must be a  ...

Yes you will need a cell iPad for follow me to work. My iPad Air 2 (non cell) didn't work in hotspot mode with my iPhone either so it looks like it has to be the cell version.

I was wondering about airplane mode as well. Honestly I don't put it in airplane mode most of the time and have never had a problem. Not sure what DJIs official standing on this is.
2015-12-9
Use props
alfredosuna
lvl.3
Mexico

But why do we need an extra GPS IF the remote has his own?? why 3 gps points (well, just 2 because the remote and the tablet/cellphone are almost the same point) ??
2015-12-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GPS in the R/C is is meant only for Dynamic home point, follow me requires much more from a GPS and needs to be constantly updating at a very high refresh rate to keep your aircraft following you through the device's GPS.
2015-12-10
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Did a quick test when I got home today, before the sun went down.  Updated the Inspire firmware day before yesterday, then IOS wanted an update.  So I had to test the thing.

Everything worked as advertised.  I used my iPhone, so I would have GPS to try Follow Me.   Can't wait to try it with my Harley

2015-12-10
Use props
fans7b0d1496
New
Flight distance : 6260 ft
United Kingdom

guys im new to this forum and new to dji though i have had hexacopters before but not dji anyway i like the inspire 1, its looks and and its camera but does it have follow me or not ? im really confused some are saying it doesnt and some on the internet saying it has
2017-7-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

fans7b0d1496 Posted at 2017-7-7 08:11
guys im new to this forum and new to dji though i have had hexacopters before but not dji anyway i like the inspire 1, its looks and and its camera but does it have follow me or not ? im really confused some are saying it doesnt and some on the internet saying it has

The feature is present but results vary tremendously. I could never get it to work but there are You-Tube videos showing otherwise.

This is related to the GPS signal that your RC / attached device can acquire. DJI has set a stringent threshold for GPS signal quality or the feature won't work properly.

Unfortunately, unlike for the late 2016 generation craft (P4, P4P and I2), there is no option to use an external GPS module to alleviate the issue of weak GPS signal when that is flagged.
2017-7-7
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

If you are pre-P4 and need greater accuracy on your device, something like this could be what you're looking for.
Mark G.
2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules