Intelligent Battery Design Flaws
4233 73 2015-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghinson
lvl.1

United States

The yellow star means you labelled it as "Favorite."

Was unable to get confirmation about the same. But I THINK the cloud icon to the right means they uploaded. It's just a matter of whether or not someone on the other side knows how to access them. In my support messages, I was asked to upload to the cloud and then give credentials. I assumed that meant the login username, so I gave them the email address I use to login and the name of the Phantom. I didn't give (nor did they ask for) my password. Not sure if they need that too.
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

ghinson Posted at 2015-12-13 07:49
Yes. Sent them everything they requested. Got a ticket number. After about 10 days, response was " ...

Please give me your ticket number  . I'll report your case to US support center .
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2015-12-13 21:38
Is there amy way to confim te upload?Didnt notice any message like uploadsuccessful..
Is the yellow  ...

If you've  synchronized the flight record successfully , we'll be able to find it by your login account . So , please contact support center for confirmation .
2015-12-13
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-9 08:27
Hi ,
It's also recommended to fly the aircraft with battery full charged in the ""Intelligent Flight ...

One thing I don't understand, "It is recommended that you do NOT charge... battery and remote..." at the same time!? I really would like to know why. I'm running two (2) P3P, for now.
2015-12-13
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-14 04:44
If you've  synchronized the flight record successfully , we'll be able to find it by your login ac ...

I'll take that as a no
Support has been contacted as mentioned quite a few times and so far it feels like they want me to downgrade to another brand.

Suggestion for a future feature:
A site along the lines of this (From one of my P2's)
http://www.flytrex.com/jonny.nedregard/
Thanks
2015-12-14
Use props
ghinson
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-13 22:41
Please give me your ticket number  . I'll report your case to US support center .

Thanks Patrick. #227117. I think they're looking in to it. But any help is appreciated.

(Always good to see Lord Vader's input in a thread.)
2015-12-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

ghinson Posted at 2015-12-14 20:09
Thanks Patrick. #227117. I think they're looking in to it. But any help is appreciated.

(Always g ...

Hi ,
I've reported your case to US support center .  Please keep that updated if you have any other questions .  
2015-12-14
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2015-12-14 19:58
I'll take that as a no
Support has been contacted as mentioned quite a few times and so far it  ...

Please give me your RMA number or ticket number . I'll try to help you .
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Dioden Posted at 2015-12-14 14:48
One thing I don't understand, "It is recommended that you do NOT charge... battery and remote..."  ...

Hi ,
Have you noticed that the charger can charge the battery and RC with two different plugs ?  It's not recommended to charge them at the same time .
2015-12-15
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-15 09:44
Please give me your RMA number or ticket number . I'll try to help you .

Thaks a million!
Could it be this one?
This is a follow-up to your previous request #136280
2015-12-15
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

A couple lessons here - take them or leave them...

Never take off with any battery that has not been topped off after storage. I'd say if you haven't changed them up within the last 5 days, you should top them off.
Do not fly over water unless you have to - and if you are going to, do it with newer and proven batteries and fully charged to start.

Batteries will start to degrade after 40-50 flights. After 100 they are most definitely different than new. They may work for longer, but again your odds all add up...

It's really like any other flight system - they are forgiving to a certain extent, but if you tempt fate too much you are likely to have a problem.

2015-12-15
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-12-16 01:55

Never take off with any battery that has not bee ...

Those are some great lessons
You have another option though!
Allway keep some of you old birds

Here I'm braking more or less all the rules past present and future
only because  the P2 became expendable upon arrival of the P3!

Flying off a Ocean Liner with a battered old P2 for the Norwegian Coastal Service
braking_rules_geiranger.jpg

Again, I need to stress that you do no do stunts like this unless youre willing to loose the bird!
Compass can go crazy from the steel, too close and within 15degrees of the radar might fry some chips,
narrow fjors surrounded by tall mountains will block most sattelites and even if you do get GPS Lock you home point will stay put unlike the ship..
The Internet Drone Police could probably come up with plenty more reasons to miss out on ventures like this.
Authorities got their pictures, the P2 will NEVER forget the flight and quite a few odds were beaten
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2015-12-16 01:58
Thaks a million!
Could it be this one?
This is a follow-up to your previous request #136280

Hi , Balthazar
Your case have been reported and you'll get a reply in few days . Sorry to have kept you waiting for so long .
2015-12-16
Use props
Lord Pyrre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 510692 ft
Norway

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-12-16 01:55

Never take off with any battery that has not bee ...

It's just kind of sad to se how you try to demolish what realy happened to each case her...
1...... i know exactly the history of my battery from the day i bought it to how and when i charged it before i did my flight...
You do not know anything about my battery, you just pretend to do....
2... its ok for me that you dont like to fly over water... but a lot of us need to do so to get the pictures/film we need... you will find proof of that at Youtube etc.
3... when battery start to degrade..... they do so little by little and not suddenly.... that will in so case be a faulty battery, or you usually know what you did to cause it... .

I know my eqipment due to testing and trust...  
i'm not a better pilot/operator just because i manage to keep my head cold an my drone survived...

The reason i i'm in this forum is to enlighten about the dangerous "i will land" - command .... not pretend i'm a nubie in need for a "battery for dummies" lession.
2015-12-19
Use props
Evan P3P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54593 ft
France

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-9 08:27
Hi ,
It's also recommended to fly the aircraft with battery full charged in the ""Intelligent Flight ...

Hello,

Sorry Patrick I don't understand your answer.
What the goal to have indicator on the battery and low battery alert if at 52% (in my case 34%) the aircraft can shutdown ?
If I follow your throught, what mean the status "Safe to fly" in green on the app before fly ?!?

I can understand that DJI had some difficulties to estimated the battery level, but is the user responsible about this ?

When you are buying a car, hopefully when the fuel tank return you 50% the car don't stop...
If it is the case I think you can ask to the dealer to repair that.

For remember we are speaking here about 1300€.

2015-12-19
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Evan P3P Posted at 2015-12-20 15:21
Hello,

Sorry Patrick I don't understand your answer.

Aircraft are not like cars!

Think about it. Does a small ice buildup on your car roof make it crash? Probably not - but a plane? It could bring the whole thing down. Lots of very small things bring planes down!

I am not trying to accuse anyone of being "too new" to this - but folks do have to understand that up until very recently (the last year) these fancy aircraft didn't even exist so we didn't have the problems related to these "smart" batteries. BUT, we had many more problems.....and much worse reliability in general.

Just as with other aircraft pilots have to be aware of a lot of things - and those things include shortcomings and defects which may exist in the craft.

Obviously DJI should try to isolate and fix this bug - maybe not allow the craft to start from scratch on low batteries and/or change the behavior so it just lands when it hits this error, etc.

But, until then, we pilots have to take every precaution to not repeat the exact steps which seem to be causing many of these problems - that means not starting any new flights without a fully charged battery.

I am going to follow that advice myself and hopefully keep my P3 from crashing. In a few more years these things will likely be perfected enough to do away with this type of thing.

DJI tends to be fairly quiet about such problems until they get a handle on them - because they don't want to tell us all to do something which may not solve the problem. But in this case if there is truly a repeatable problem, they should send out an email to all users with precautions.

So far the percentages seem low - probably 500,000 P3's out there and there doesn't seem to be thousands of these problems yet. But who knows?

This is the first real bug I've heard of which causes a crash...so it needs to be squashed quickly  - even if that means educating users on how to avoid it until it's fixed in software.
2015-12-21
Use props
Evan P3P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54593 ft
France

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-12-22 04:40
Aircraft are not like cars!

Think about it. Does a small ice buildup on your car roof make it cra ...

Thanks droneflyers,

I totally understand your point, and I totally agree with you.
I didn't take plane example because with a plane you are not here anymore after a crash to ask any warranty .

I agree that it's new product and we need to take more and more caution.

My piont is not here :
When you are buying a product the company are not returning , "caution it is a new product, it can explose a any moment ...".
No, they don't, because when you are buying a product, and even more an high quality very expensive product like this, you are buying a service.
If the product don't answering to the promise services you can ask to take it in warranty, that's normal.

That why, in my case after analysed my log, DJI recognize that I had abattery issue and they will take it under warranty.

DJI make honor to their brand image (Premium Aircraft).
2015-12-21
Use props
ghinson
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-14 07:28
Hi ,
I've reported your case to US support center .  Please keep that updated if you have any other ...

I'm about a month into initially submitting my ticket, and 16 days since any last contact (after I resubmitted request logs) from support. I'm sure this is a busy time of the year. Any idea how long I will have to wait? I'm missing a whole season of flight!
2015-12-26
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

ghinson Posted at 2015-12-26 22:51
I'm about a month into initially submitting my ticket, and 16 days since any last contact (after I ...

Please give me your ticket number .
2015-12-28
Use props
ghinson
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-28 07:40
Please give me your ticket number .

227117   Thank you.
2015-12-28
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-14 20:28
Hi ,
I've reported your case to US support center .  Please keep that updated if you have any other ...

Guys, thanks for the discussion on this topic, I’ve read the entire thread with great interest and have learned a lot.
None the less, I still have a few questions.  First, after reading the release notes with the latest firmware update 1.6004v, it sounded like it was meant to help (not necessarily solve) some of the issues related to cold weather flying and rapid battery drain that could cause issues.  I’d be interested in this groups opinion in this regard.

I flew today in -8C after the FW update and had no issues.  I did take all the recommended precautions like fully charging the battery the same day, the battery was kept warm up until minutes before the flight, I hovered for a minute as suggested and the battery/craft temp was ~20C before a flew any distance.  I was easy on the stick at all times and the ascending rate did seem a bit slower than usual (I understand that this is on of the safety features of the new FW). The battery performance, as far as I could tell was excellent.  I probable could have gotten at least 17 minutes flying time but my fingers were freezing so I had to land after 15.  Does this forum think I was taking unnecessary risk flying at this temp.  If so, I guess I’m grounded for the next three months until winter’s over. Which brings me to my last question.

I understand if I prepare the batteries for long term storage (several months) by draining them to 40-50%, it sounds like the batteries will eventually go into hibernation mode.  I’m I right, and will this degrade the performance of the batteries?  I’m I better off charging and draining the batteries over the winter months if I can’t fly because of the cold?
2015-12-30
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-10 02:03
Hi , Lord
A "Cold Battery" warning in App ? That's so weird . Could you please show me a screensho ...

Got one yesterday as well.  Never heard of it before.  Happened at about +4C with a battery that was attached to the P3 during a 30 minute walk in a nicely insulated Think Tank backpack.  I did notice a small amount of slush on just on top of the battery housing courtesy of my idiot Lab that was running around.  Took the battery out (freshly charged about an hour before), put it in my pocket and took another batter - out of the same backpack, ran through three batteries including the cold one (after warming).

Unless the sensor is just above the battery compartment and thus was thrown off by the slush, I'd say it was a bad warning.  I'm obviously going to keep checking but.

WOULD YOU PLEASE TELL WHOMEVER AT DJI THAT DOCUMENTATION OF THEIR PRODUCTS IS IMPORTANT.  If you are going to put a new warning in, tell us about it.  Likewise the Seasonally Appropriate but otherwise undocumented RED-RED-RED-GREEN-GREEN sequence when you are flying in a 'restricted area'.
2015-12-30
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2015-12-30 05:40
Guys, thanks for the discussion on this topic, I’ve read the entire thread with great interest an ...

Flying at -8C might not make DJI all that happy but lots of people do it.  I just count on 1) starting with a new, freshly charged battery 2) landing at no less than 50% of what the system thinks is capacity 3) go gently on the sticks 4) stay out of icing conditions (those lovely low clouds hanging over the trees......).
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rogergolub Posted at 2015-12-31 02:36
Got one yesterday as well.  Never heard of it before.  Happened at about +4C with a battery that w ...

Hi,
Could you please tell me the firmware versions and App version you were applying ? Was the DJI Go an Android version or IOS version ? Would you please post a screenshot of battery information ?
2016-1-4
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-4 17:18
Hi,
Could you please tell me the firmware versions and App version you were applying ? Was the DJI  ...

Firmware was 1.6, app was whatever is current. iOS 9.1.  I have a picture on the Phantompilots site (which, as usual, is non functioning at the moment) but of course erased the pic from my system.  Look at Wetdog's threads.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rogergolub Posted at 2016-1-6 10:31
Firmware was 1.6, app was whatever is current. iOS 9.1.  I have a picture on the Phantompilots sit ...

Could you please give me the link ? Thank you !
2016-1-6
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Reported Case

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-17 03:17
Hi , Balthazar
Your case have been reported and you'll get a reply in few days . Sorry to have kep ...

Hi again Patrick and Happy New Year!
I still haven't heard back from the German Customer Service and I'm afraid they don't have time to review my flight log.
I used most of my Christmas holiday to learn about the logs and analyzed it in all kinds of different ways
and the results are posted here

The flight log is here

The analysis form, video from the app's folder, official weather data confirming temperature was within warranty range and all other relevant files is here

I can understand that the Zendesk has 60.000 other companies to serve as they state on their website and most of them is extra busy due to Christmas rush so I ask if you can please have someone from DJI  look at the files and help me?
2016-1-8
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

O and the request #136280 but German Tracking is still not working on the DJI tracking page.
My account login on the app and everywhere else is rcgbalthazar@gmail.com
Thank you
german_tracking.jpg
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-1-9 03:04
Hi again Patrick and Happy New Year!
I still haven't heard back from the German Customer Service a ...

Hi . Sorry for waiting . I'll get you a reply as soon as possible .
2016-1-10
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-6 03:40
Could you please give me the link ? Thank you !

Sorry for the delay - here is a link to my first post

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... .61973/#post-606642
2016-1-11
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rogergolub Posted at 2016-1-12 02:09
Sorry for the delay - here is a link to my first post

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/1-6-ch ...

Hi , I've read that thread but I could find the "Cold Battery" warning you mentioned . Could you give me some more specific information ?
2016-1-12
Use props
rogergolub
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-12 03:44
Hi , I've read that thread but I could find the "Cold Battery" warning you mentioned . Could you g ...

Actually no.  Didn't take a picture of it.  Need to remember to do so.  Not to worry, I've got four more months of winter here.

Does seem to happen with only one battery.  If winter would just let up a bit so I could even think about flying, I could try this again.

2016-1-13
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

rogergolub Posted at 2016-1-14 00:30
Actually no.  Didn't take a picture of it.  Need to remember to do so.  Not to worry, I've got fou ...

Please read this thread for your safe flight . http://forum.dji.com/thread-35181-1-1.html
2016-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules