50P vs 60P
7992 3 2015-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arnohk
New

Hong Kong

Question 1:
I live in PAL region. As we know Osmo can shoot both 50p and 60p. I wonder if that 10 frames really make significant or obvious differences in terms of video smoothness (especially for fast action, for example, panning)?

Question 2:
The reason I asked is because I realized nowadays most of the PC monitor, or iMac for example, running at 60Hz refresh rate by default. I tried to watch both 50p and 60p clip from them. I found the 60p looks silky smooth, while 50p looks a bit, I don’t know what to describe (maybe jerky?), not as smooth as 60p. I wonder if that difference is caused either by the monitor refresh rate, OR that 10 frames?

Question 3:
Further to question 2, is there any way to verify?

Question 4:
I have tons of other footage at 25p/50i from other cameras. Should I compromise for that 10 frames and shoot Osmo all the way at 50p from now on?

Many thanks!
Arno

2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, the storage rate for 60P is about 60Mbps, storage rate for 50P is about 50Mbps. The storage rate 60Mbps means that every second of recording will take about 60M memory of the disk. The video fluency or smoothness is proportional to the frame rate and storage rate. So for 60P, it records 60 frame per second, means that it take 10 more frames than the 50P, that's why the file becomes larger than the 50P files. It's normal that the 50p video is less smooth than the 60p files. If you don't need to consider the file size, 60p is recommended for better quality and smoothness.
2015-12-8
Use props
arnohk
New

Hong Kong

Thanks Amy.

But I just wonder when it comes to mixing my other footages (50P/25i), will that be an issue to convert, say, 60P to 25P/50i output during editing, in order to match with my other footages?
2015-12-10
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

arnohk Posted at 2015-12-10 20:11
Thanks Amy.

But I just wonder when it comes to mixing my other footages (50P/25i), will that be an  ...

Shutter speed also affects smooth panning.  Shutter speed should be double your frame rate. Shooting at 25p, then set your shutter to 1/50.

Consider your output preference:  Youtube, TV, Blu-ray... etc. Where is your video going?

Consider your subject matter - fast action, camera movement, what are you shooting?

60p and 50p are very high data rate shooting formats. When editing, you will need to convert to the timeline framerate. Your timeline framerate will not likely be 50p or 60p, but will be 25p or 30p, or whatever you want your final video to be.

I would recommend sticking with 30p in the Osmo, unless you need slow motion or shooting fast action sports.

2015-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules