5912 45 2015-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
will
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi everyone, long time lurker here and the forum has helped me out a lot over the years (thanks!).

I've recenty upgraded my Inspire to carry the X5 and the initial thoughts are positive. From early on though, I've noticed that the camera was ever so slightly moving about, as if the IMU was not calibrated, or that the surface it was on wasn't stable.

In flight, whilst hovering, this movement/drift is magnified and very noticeable. I've had the Z15 GH4 and NEX gimbals, plus the old X3 and this is way beyond what I would expect from this system.

The firmware is fully updated and I calibrated the IMU and compass, as per the DJI reccomended ways.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Will

2015-12-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

And you've also done a gimbal calibration too correct?
2015-12-8
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-8 17:49

This, hopefully that fixes it
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I'm hoping too, if not let us know and we'll keep trying.
2015-12-9
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gimbal calibration was completed. It's not done anything to fix it. The gimbal behaves as if it's drunk and every now and then has a bit of a sway when stationary on the ground and even worse in the air.
2015-12-23
Use props
jedrzej
New

Denmark

Did you manage to get to the bottom of it and fix the issue ? I have similar problem with my x5 after the latest update.
2016-1-4
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21086 ft
Netherlands

I have the same problem. running the latest fw. Even when on the ground motors shutoff the gimbal is drifting.

DJI Help please!
ps. running a Pro with a X5
2016-1-6
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too have the same issue.  Just back from a cold day in the country and every image taken is blurry, the video is poor quality and the gimbal/camera look like its 2 days behind everything else.  It hangs slightly too and thats after the updated firmware, configuration of all things etc.  Im cold and I'm raging.  The onscreen images looked great too.  

2016-1-6
Use props
HEJM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 872362 ft
Germany

Same Issue here! Gimbal calibration does not help and IMU calibration says there is no need to calibrate.
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Reset all settings should fix that. make sure to write down all your settings first.
2016-1-6
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

Reseting all the settings doesnt help!

Deactivating the synchronous gimbal checkbox helped to eliminate the drifting for me. (Have a look in the gimbal  settings - advanced settings)
Give DJI and me a feedback if it works.
2016-1-8
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-6 20:40
Reset all settings should fix that. make sure to write down all your settings first.

Ken does this mean the bad video is part of it as well?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-39238-1-1.html
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mechanicus Posted at 2016-1-9 01:42
Ken does this mean the bad video is part of it as well?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-39238-1-1.htm ...

Have you done all the calibrations, including gimbal calibrations? and also adjust exposure, ISO, Shutter Speed, ?The X5 is a complex camera and not for beginners, fi you Google DJI X5 camera setting, or camera solutions, you will find a lot of information out there. I have not had a chance to fly a X5 yet so I am not very familial with all of it's settings.
2016-1-8
Use props
Fink
New

United States

My X5, which came on my Inspire 1 Pro, also has the gimbal drift. Mine is far more noticeable on the ground.
2016-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Fink Posted at 2016-1-9 08:17
My X5, which came on my Inspire 1 Pro, also has the gimbal drift. Mine is far more noticeable on the ...

Fink,
Can you please post a video
2016-1-8
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-9 06:37
Fink,
Can you please post a video

Here is mine!

2016-1-9
Use props
Positveimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2772 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-8 17:49
Have you done all the calibrations, including gimbal calibrations? and also adjust exposure, ISO, S ...

Hi Ken,
In the Go app, what is the setting: Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow? It's in Gimbal, advanced settings, configuration.
Many thanks
2016-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Positveimage Posted at 2016-1-9 20:18
Hi Ken,
In the Go app, what is the setting: Gimbal Yaw Synchronous Follow? It's in Gimbal, advance ...

It smoothes out the camera on yaw movements. You can see with it on, move the yaw back and forth and the camera will pan a little.
Turn it off and the camera won't move when you yaw on the ground.
2016-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mechanicus Posted at 2016-1-9 17:48
Here is mine!

https://vimeo.com/151221474

If you reset all setting will that help.?
2016-1-9
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-9 16:50
If you reset all setting will that help.?

Nope not at all. Reset the settings, disabled Gimbal Yaw Sync and no improvement.
I'm inside now (with no flight) and the gimbal goes everywhere.
See it drifting and I move the gimbal a few times fast but the small moves are not comming from me.

2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mechanicus Posted at 2016-1-10 21:37
Nope not at all. Reset the settings, disabled Gimbal Yaw Sync and no improvement.
I'm inside now (w ...

You've also done a IMU calibration on perfectly level surface correct?
If resetting and all the other things you've done cannot get rid of the drift, then you need to contact the support center and get it repaired under warranty. And include doth videos here.
Sorry about the issue you are having.
2016-1-10
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-10 16:55
You've also done a IMU calibration on perfectly level surface correct?
If resetting and all the ot ...

Just did it and it doesn't change.Setting seem to be ok.

One other thing. It is expected to calibrate or autocalibrate on a flat level.
Is DJI aware that that is almost not possible to see when you are in the field.
Wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of bubble on each legg so you can level the bird before calibrating. I'm sure a lot of problems will disappear if it is so important.

IMG_0001.jpg
2016-1-10
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

I've had access to two X5 gimbals.  I've tried calibrating the gimbals in multiple settings and running through all of the options.  The X5 always drifts slightly.  I've just come to the conclusion is it is the nature of the gimbal.  Of course, I've also seen the X3 drift, it's just little less noticeable because the field of view is wider than on the X5.  
2016-1-10
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Netherlands

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-1-10 22:39
I've had access to two X5 gimbals.  I've tried calibrating the gimbals in multiple settings and runn ...

If so.... we have a problem Houston!
The apparatus cost a little fortune and if this is the quality I call for a little revolution.
I refuse to believe this is the nature of the beast. For what I have purchased it must be possible to solve it. We are talking high end right?
2016-1-10
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

United States

I should add that my Ronin is almost rock solid.  I have the Osmo and a couple X3's and I have tried the two X5's  The X3's and X5's drift slightly on the Inspire and the X3's drift on the Osmo.  I have assumed that it is a motor versus tuning vs electrical interference issue, but I only half know how the gimbals work and what to expect.  For my intended uses, the drifting is not a concern.  If I want a steady shot, I use a camera and a tripod.  If, however, DJI has created a product that is supposed to be rock solid when not under load, then something is wrong.
2016-1-10
Use props
mechanicus
lvl.1
Netherlands

RE: X5/Gimble Drifting

Casey Preston Posted at 2016-1-10 23:53
I should add that my Ronin is almost rock solid.  I have the Osmo and a couple X3's and I have tried ...

"If, however, DJI has created a product that is supposed to be rock solid when not under load, then something is wrong."

My thoughts exactly. How about long exposures... For me one of the reasons I purchased.
2016-1-10
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hm like I said, it fixed for me to deactivate the sync gimbal setting. It is a workaround, but not a solution!
2016-1-14
Use props
Jwmulcahey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396142 ft
United States

Did anybody else come up with a solution on this? Mine drifts as well, not all the time but enough to notice it in flights. Tried IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, deactivating sync gimbal setting and nothing has helped. It's quite annoying to constantly have to adjust a $2200 gimbal/camera set up in flight, plus it makes getting straight moving footage nearly impossible with the gimbal constantly moving.
2016-1-21
Use props
jmtrahan00
lvl.2

United States

Any update on this?   Its getting frustrating that we are all seeing gimbal drift/horizon level issues and no solution has been provided yet...    Seems that every new firmware released seems to create new gimbal related issues..
2016-2-9
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The weather in the UK has been really bad. Got a chance to head out yesterday and the problem still exists. Exactly as shown in the videos people have posted in this thread.

Has DJI been able to recreate this or have anything lined up in a future update?
2016-2-17
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Which Gimbal mode are you in?  Does the problem happen in both "follow-me" & "free mode" ?
2016-2-17
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

I've noticed the drift in "follow-me" mode.  However in free mode the gimbal seems to be rock solid.  Here's an example video with the gimbal locked in "free mode":

2016-2-17
Use props
jaabsfilms
lvl.1
India

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-9 04:19

I also having the same issue with my new x5 Gimbal. And I updated the new  firmware which released few days before. But the issue is still the same. I dnt know wat to do.
2016-3-13
Use props
jaabsfilms
lvl.1
India

I am also having the same issue. Even I upgraded new firmware yesterday. But the issue not solves. Dont know wat to do. Kindly help
2016-3-13
Use props
jaabsfilms
lvl.1
India

domidragon90 Posted at 2016-1-8 16:49
Reseting all the settings doesnt help!

Deactivating the synchronous gimbal checkbox helped to elimi ...

Yess its worked with me also
2016-3-14
Use props
jaabsfilms
lvl.1
India

mechanicus Posted at 2016-1-10 22:12
Just did it and it doesn't change.Setting seem to be ok.

One other thing. It is expected to calibr ...

Deactivating the synchronous gimbal checkbox helped to eliminate the drifting for me. Its working perfectly now. now my x5 is rock steady
2016-3-14
Use props
jaabsfilms
lvl.1
India

jaabsfilms Posted at 2016-3-14 12:25
I am also having the same issue. Even I upgraded new firmware yesterday. But the issue not solves. D ...

Deactivating the synchronous gimbal checkbox helped to eliminate the drifting for me. Its working perfectly now. now my x5 is rock steady. Go to Gimbal setting> advance settings >
2016-3-14
Use props
jaabsfilms
lvl.1
India

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-10 02:41
I'm hoping too, if not let us know and we'll keep trying.

Deactivating the synchronous gimbal checkbox helped to eliminate the drifting for me. Its working perfectly now. now my x5 is rock steady
2016-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jaabsfilms Posted at 2016-3-14 19:06
Deactivating the synchronous gimbal checkbox helped to eliminate the drifting for me. Its working  ...

Glad you found a solution.
2016-3-14
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

thats not a solution, it's only a workaround. please fix it!
2016-3-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules